ESPN/PFW Chat

JoeF

Mike, Fallbrook, CA: In light of the Shaub deal between then Falcons and Texans, You have to believe that Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith is going to shop Michael Turner for the best price he can get before the draft; he says the phones have been ringing and I still feel that the Packers, Bills or Browns will step up with a creative and fair offer; AJ loves young talent and will not let him walk away next season without any compensation;

Trent Modglin: (4:03 PM ET ) Funny Mike, I actually just put a call into Turner's agent right before I logged on to see what was going on. Unfortunately, I got his voice mail. However, I think AJ Smith will have to listen to deals that will come in the weeks leading up to the draft, especially if a first-round pick is involved for a backup RB he's likely to lose next season anyway. I hear that the Bills, Packers and Browns are most interested, in that order.

Interesting....

just more speculation but who knows..... there is no way we give up more than a 2nd for turner...

I agree Sketch..no way on the first...I would say our early third and next year's third or fourth....plus have to extend him for at least 3 more years...

no way SD gets a first rounder, unless its the norm (or what seems to be becoming the norm) swap of first and a player. Buffalo swaping first with SD for Turner doesn't sound that bad. Buffalo gets a RB thats was a backup RB only because the starter was the best RB in the league, and are still in a position to possible get Poz. The problem is, will AJ want to make a deal like that or is he going to hold out for morte picks?

Personnally I don't see Turner being dealt until the draft, and a deal might not go down until the #11 pick is made, this way SD can see whats still available, and Buffalo will know what choices they have

I think Turner would have a monster year this year behind our new O-Line and with A-Train (who is a physical RB as well), we would have one of the more physical running games in the league.

I would hope that the compensation would be a combination of a 3rd this year along with a 3rd next year, or our 2nd and 5th this year. This would allow us to fill a major hole at RB with a relatively proven commodity, and fill our other glaring need at either LB or CB, depending on who scouts have rated higher.

Can we combine here? What if we traded our first to San Diego for Michael Turner, their first, and their second? If you trust the draft chart, the net value of the picks is 300, so it equates to trading a mid-to-low second round pick to the Chargers for Turner, which seems about fair, while also giving them some all-star potential getting near the top of the draft.

I think Turner would have a monster year this year behind our new O-Line and with A-Train (who is a physical RB as well), we would have one of the more physical running games in the league.

I would hope that the compensation would be a combination of a 3rd this year along with a 3rd next year, or our 2nd and 5th this year. This would allow us to fill a major hole at RB with a relatively proven commodity, and fill our other glaring need at either LB or CB, depending on who scouts have rated higher.

I like the idea of giving them a 3rd this year and then a 3rd next year.. in essence it would be like trading McGahee for Turner. :thumbdown:

Can we combine here? What if we traded our first to San Diego for Michael Turner, their first, and their second? If you trust the draft chart, the net value of the picks is 300, so it equates to trading a mid-to-low second round pick to the Chargers for Turner, which seems about fair, while also giving them some all-star potential getting near the top of the draft.

I could even live with a swap of firsts and their late fourth...gives us a 1 (30), 2(43), 3 (74), 3 (92), 4 (111), 4 (129), 6, 7, 7..and saves us money...and values Turner as a very high second which is where I think they are now...

I could even live with a swap of firsts and their late fourth...gives us a 1 (30), 2(43), 3 (74), 3 (92), 4 (111), 4 (129), 6, 7, 7..and saves us money...and values Turner as a high second.

Why not just trade them our high 2nd and keep our #12 to possibly get Willis or someone else that may be rated higher than the 30th pick.

The market for veteran RBs is basically set as 3rd round for moderate miles.

Turner may cost a 2nd rounder, given lack of pounding. No way does he warrant a 1st rounder + premium salary that he will command. I'm guessing that Bills offered their No.2, GB & Cleveland their No. 3, and Smith is trying to get the other guys to come down to their No. 2s.

That's the deal breaker. why trade away a pick and sign the dude to a $30 mill deal? I'll take my chances on a rookie 2nd or 3rd rounder at a modest price tag

yes, that gives me pause as well. But if Marv and co. really think he is the shiit and are willing to trade picks for him, then you gotta go for broke and pay the man. But I very much doubt we will go this route. A draft pick for a modest price as you say seems to make more sense at this point.

I'm willing to go on the record with a prediction that Michael Turner will become a top ten RB in the league. If the Bills can find a way to get him from SD that still enables them to address their defensive needs in this draft, I'm all for it.

In other words -- he's a high motor guy and if we can sign him on the cheap, go for it.

Why not just trade them our high 2nd and keep our #12 to possibly get Willis or someone else that may be rated higher than the 30th pick.

The 11th pick is almost mid-round--just don't think AJ would go for it...the value chart would put this at about the 3rd pick in the second round..who knows? AJ holds most of the cards..but he does risk losing Turner for nothing in a year....

The other thing is that if the PFW writer is correct--we would have to beat the Browns-and their second is higher--we have to get above them to get him..

The 11th pick is almost mid-round--just don't think AJ would go for it...the value chart would put this at about the 3rd pick in the second round..who knows? AJ holds the cards..

yah, ol shiitbrick Smith isn't going to give up Turner for less than he thinks he is worth. i very much doubt that we have the same idea of what he is worth.

I'm willing to go on the record with a prediction that Michael Turner will become a top ten RB in the league. If the Bills can find a way to get him from SD that still enables them to address their defensive needs in this draft, I'm all for it.

In other words -- he's a high motor guy and if we can sign him on the cheap, go for it.

That's the problem with this deal. It isn't cheap. Its incredibly expensive. Not only would it cost the Bills a 2nd round pick (possibly more, depending on how creative the trade is), the Bills will also have to sign him to a contract extension. At his age (25), its likely the last contract he will ever sign and you know he's going to want to cash in with a contract similar to those signed by other top Rbs this offseason. At anywhere from $4-6 million per year, the deal doesn't look so good anymore.

just more speculation but who knows..... there is no way we give up a 1st for turner... and besides, anyone could have put those three teams together as the ones interested in Turner....

I for one would be very very disappointed if Marv did something like that. As a matter of fact I cannot fathom any possible situation in which Marv would say to AJ..How about we give you our #1 for Turner? A second I would not do. I would approve of one of our 3s and our 5th. Not a penny more.