Did we OOOOVERPAY for Chris Kelsay?

firstngoal

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone who couldn't cut it in Atlanta and Dallas and hadn't had a productive season in the NFL in a few years...

Couple that with the fact that he's 30 years old...

I wouldn't pay him $2.3M.

... but that's just me. :lol:

Peerless is far from being overpayed so I don't understand the point at all.

Have you seen the contract? Do you know how it is structured? Do you know what his exact salary is for each year? Do you know how much money was a signing bonus, which counts to this year's "cash to cap"? Do you know how much of that bonuses are roster bonuses, which count to other year's cash to cap?

I doubt it. I suggest you learn those things before you say he's paid too much money. Hell, his salary in 4 years might be 12 million, making the total value of the contract bigger than the 6mil per year figure thrown around.

Before you decide you don't believe the numbers, you might want to understand the numbers first.

You bet your arss we did!

I just can't believe the numbers! :lol:

:lol:

but Schobel signed that deal, what?, 2 years ago. the market goes up and up every year. Schobel will cash in well on his next contract too...

and i think the bills see Kelsay as STILL improving. he has improved greatly year after year.

You make a good point about Kelsay. Schobel--oh pleeeeease lets not pay this guy when his contract comes up.Let someone else make the mistake.

youre kidding right? the mistake of re-signing our all-pro, league-leading sack, DE? k... :thumbsup:

Well---come on---he gets lots of sacks--but doesnt put consistent pressure on the QB. I just dont wanna see us pay him allstar numbers. He is above average--we'll give him that. Piling up sacks in non critical situations does not equal putting consistent pressure on when it counts. Teams have marched up and down the field against us when it truly counted---and Schobel is often nowhere to be found.

Well---come on---he gets lots of sacks--but doesnt put consistent pressure on the QB. I just dont wanna see us pay him allstar numbers. He is above average--we'll give him that. Piling up sacks in non critical situations does not equal putting consistent pressure on when it counts. Teams have marched up and down the field against us when it truly counted---and Schobel is often nowhere to be found.

there are 3 other guys out there besides Schobel. Yes, Kelsay has gotten better, but he's all the way on the other end of the line. our DTs crapped the bed last year. its not Schobel's(or Kelsay's or Denney's) fault that the 2 guys next to him leave him to do all the work.

remember how great he looked with decent DTs around? great enough to get re-signed by TD who was NOTORIOUS for letting people walk.

and he did it again all last year with little to no help.

you cant blame the shortcomings of others on our Star Players. there are plenty of less talented players on that field that need to be replaced before Schobel.

We don't know how the deal is structured and we have yet to see Kelsay play in '07 and beyond. Tough to judge the thing yet.

True, but I saw the Kelsay interview and he even admitted that the Bills EXCEEDED his expectations!

I just feel they could have signed him for less and from what Kelsay said, they could have.

Have you seen the contract? Do you know how it is structured? Do you know what his exact salary is for each year? Do you know how much money was a signing bonus, which counts to this year's "cash to cap"? Do you know how much of that bonuses are roster bonuses, which count to other year's cash to cap?

I doubt it. I suggest you learn those things before you say he's paid too much money. Hell, his salary in 4 years might be 12 million, making the total value of the contract bigger than the 6mil per year figure thrown around.

Before you decide you don't believe the numbers, you might want to understand the numbers first.

Right from the horses mouth:

I saw the Kelsay interview and HE even admitted that the Bills EXCEEDED his expectations!

I just feel they could have signed him for less and from what Kelsay said, they could have.

My Point is:

Super Pirss Poor Money Management, just like overpaying Price last year!

the only thing this signing and the large amount of money does, is show all the other players on the team that if they:

work HARD

keep their mouth shut

improve every year

dedicate themselves to the Bills

dedicate themselves to learning the system

dedicate themselves to being a high character individual

settle (for lack of better term) themselves to living in Buffalo

that will 1) improve their productivity on the field and more importantly 2) the Bills will be HAPPY to pay you what you are worth to the team, EVEN IF it is more than you thought.

we may be on the high end of the pay scale for a guy with Kelsay's numbers. but what Marv really paid for was his PERSON. if we had 11 guys like Chris Kelsay on both sides of the ball, we would have 3 Championships in 5 years too.

I saw the Kelsay interview and HE even admitted that the Bills EXCEEDED his expectations!

My Point is:

Again, how was Price "Over paid" ? We were not in cap trouble and he got 10 mil for 4 years. Big Deal!

Plus he directly contributed hugely to 2 of our wins last season.

My Point is:

Whitner was shocked to be selected at #8. Do you think that he was a good or bad pick based on this alone?