Marv to hold 10 am presser on Friday

beerme1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

POSTED: 7:42 a.m. EST, February 16, 2007

BUFFALO, New York (AP) -- Buffalo Bills General Manager Marv Levy has called a morning press conference to discuss several issues. Levy will also announce that RB Willis McGahee has been traded to the Toronto Argonauts in exchange for a player to be named later. When pressed on this issue, Marv said "He loves Toronto so much, so we made it happen".

---------------

Marv hinted that the player "to be named" in the trade had been in the league several years but due to circumstances had very little playing time. Also hinted the player was very intellectual and had "found the true meaning of life on Young St." and was now totally committed to football. A "real character" type .

Inside word is that he is going to announce the bills have been sold to the prime minister of canada and will be relocating the team, not to toronto, but to moose jaw!!!

But as part of their regional marketing strategy they plan to sled dog in customers from Toronto.

Today

Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 9:17 AM ET | Link

MARV'S PRESS CONFERENCE: I understand there's some rampant speculation about Marv's press conference and what the subject matter of it will be. From what I've been told he'll just be answering questions about the 2006 season and upcoming free agency.

To listen to the entire press conference you can go to our audio page and listen to it there shortly after 10:30 this morning or you can subscribe to http://www.buffalobills.com/podcast/index.xml using iTunes, URGE, etc to have the audio downloaded to your iPod or mp3 player.

---

Seems like nothin huge is gonna happen.

But as part of their regional marketing strategy they plan to sled dog in customers from Toronto.

Marv quickly introduced the new head of marketing who stated that all future Bills game programs would be printed in both English and French.

"We have to get better at stopping the run"

"I think that the offensive line is our number one priority"

"Yes, there will be another running back in here to challenge Willis McGahee, either free agency or the draft"

"Angelo moving inside is a possible replacement for Fletcher, also the draft might produce someone"

"I went a long time thinking, 'gosh our tackles are not producing, our tackles are not producing' but you have to have linebackers that attack, not just pursue"

"Kevin Everett and Duke Preston need to make a big step forward"

"I think that the offensive line is our number one priority"

"Yes, there will be another running back in here to challenge Willis McGahee, either free agency or the draft"

Also interesting he said he didn't think much of the free agent RB options. I wonder if this includes A Thomas or if he was only thinking of a RB that could replace Willis next year if he leaves. I thought he was tipping his hand that they had RB as a high draft priority.

Given the statuses of McGahee (last year), Shaud (remember him), Thomas (not under contract) this makes sense to me.

Someone just asked Marv what "cash to the cap" meant. His response, unfortunately was.... They showed me a bunch of charts, and showed me we don't really have a lot of room to spend money. I have to admit I don't really understand how the cap works.

I love Marv, but dear God, what was that?

Is it me or does Marv appear to be dazed and confused....he wasn't sure if franchise tag meant top 5 or top 10 salaries, didn't know about Willis' comments, salary cap confusion and in general appears to be unprepared. To me who the hell is the GM? It's very obvious now that Marv is nothing more than a PR move and others are runnings the show....obviously with his input. Further he doesn't appear to be up on the latest NFL news concerning players who want trades dre bly, the draft, etc. I totally agree with howard!!!! totally unprepared can't wait to hear Sully's comments on this one!@

"We like our receiving core, Lee Evans is a premier receiver and Josh Reed got better. We also like what Roscoe brings, but we could draft another wide receiver at the right spot"

"TKO moving inside is not an option that we are considering"

Is it me or does Marv appear to be dazed and confused....he wasn't sure if franchise tag meant top 5 or top 10 salaries, didn't know about Willis' comments, salary cap confusion and in general appears to be unprepared. To me who the hell is the GM? It's very obvious now that Marv is nothing more than a PR move and others are runnings the show....obviously with his input. Further he doesn't appear to be up on the latest NFL news concerning players who want trades dre bly, the draft, etc. I totally agree with howard!!!! totally unprepared can't wait to hear Sully's comments on this one!@

Marv's forte is not FA or college player evaluations, contracts, the salary cap or Marketing.

Marv is the GM PR-savvy face to the public. he is the cure to the sick feeling TD left in his wake. The fact that I love the job he's doing dispite the above shortcomings shows that he is a good choice for this role. He lets his GM team members stay focused on the "heavy lifting" while he makes us fans feel good. ...and it seems to be working.

Thats a shot at Crowell and possibly Spkies. Fletch and Ellison were much more attcking LBers.

Crowell definitely attacks - though he often misses. Ellison does too. Not sure about Spikes since he was invisible last year. For the number of tackles Fletcher had, it seemed like the vast majority were 5 to 10 yards down field.

General comment - I was pleasantly surprised by how well he has aged. Someone not knowing Marv could peg his age in the mid-60s. He is so unbelievably cohesive with his sentences, bright and energetic. People taking pot shots at his age can only wish they grow up to be as young looking as him at that age.

Reading the tea leaves....

We are going hard after a LG, either Steinbach or Diehlman. Marv said Gandy, we'll still have to talk about. He's gone.

LBs who attack means we're going for Lance Briggs or Cato June and moving Crowell inside.

There are a couple of RFAs they like. My guess...Max Starks.

Preston/Pennington/Everett must step up. The gauntlet is thrown down for Duke, don't look for an upgrade there. They will give him a chance.

Nate's gonna get an offer from us. Whether he takes it or not, not sure.

Not bringing in as many FAs, but will target some top guys, as well as try to retain our own.

Bottom line....Look for a RT, LG, LB and CB (maybe Nate). Hey thats the 4 Marv mentioned.

I missed if he said anything about possible DTs.

Another RB brought in.....maybe Marshawn Lynch?? Pretty cool if thats true.

General comment - I was pleasantly surprised by how well he has aged. Someone not knowing Marv could peg his age in the mid-60s. He is so unbelievably cohesive with his sentences, bright and energetic. People taking pot shots at his age can only wish they grow up to be as young looking as him at that age.

Marv is a marvel at his age, but I am not sure how much that is going to make this team better...

WGR bashing marv

In my opinion they should....and I until now had nothing but great things to say about Marv but today he was either unprepared or extremely overwhelmed with FA and the draft coming up. I got no sense of directon as other posters have said....Keep in mind it wasn't Shoop bashing Marv it was Howard which carries more weight

Can't wait to hear Schopp on this one.

Caller: What do you guys think about Marv's comments this morning

Schopp: Well to be honest, I didn't listen or pay much attention. But if I did, it was probably something about how he thinks the team is good and only needs tweaking. Getting back to my original point, I was watching re-runs of different strokes the other day, NOW THAT WAS AN UNDERRATED SHOW.

In my opinion they should....and I until now had nothing but great things to say about Marv but today he was either unprepared or extremely overwhelmed with FA and the draft coming up. I go no sense of directon as other posters have said....Keep in mind it wasn't Shoop bashing Marv it was Howard which carries more weight

Really? I didn't get that sense at all. I thought he knew exactly where the Bills plan to go in free agency and didn't want to reveal too much. I thought he tipped his hand too much, but thats partially why I love this regime over the previous dark overlord.