Marv to hold 10 am presser on Friday

beerme1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? I didn't get that sense at all. I thought he knew exactly where the Bills plan to go in free agency and didn't want to reveal too much. I thought he tipped his hand too much, but thats partially why I love this regime over the previous dark overlord.

I guess Marv is so usually well spoken and in command and yes was a breath of fresh air after TD but today I was blown away by several of his comments...everyone in B-lo heard Willis' comments and he didn't??? He wasn't aware of the Franchise Tag terms, says he loves the WR corps but later says they will look to improve WR. Aaron Merz possible solution to OL? etc. To me today he was all over the place, like Howard Simon said I wished this was a rah rah we have the 2nd most cap room to spend, this is what we're going to do..... I all heard today was trying to re-sign their own and bank on that and look for another RB to challenge WM. It sounded like complete confusion...how many times did Marv say he wasn't sure or didn't know or wasn't aware of that? If Marv is GM for PR purposes today the Bills PR campaign failed.

Correct. Marv said that Jp is almost a red player, with blue being elite. And that to get to Blue, he needs a supporting cast.

He also metioned that they would like to give Nall a better look like they had envisioned last camp. That and basically said they would get some low rung qb means officially buh bye Holcomb. :worthy:

To those that still, amazingly, don't seem to know (including WGR) :

Marv is the GM OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS. He deals very little to not at all with the salary cap. He is strictly concerned with the makeup of the team/ player personell structure and the staff has been delegated roles to deal with all other things.

Correct. Marv said that Jp is almost a red player, with blue being elite. And that to get to Blue, he needs a supporting cast.

He was corrected by someone from the audience about that. Marv meant that JP is on the border of that fictitious demarcation and will only rise higher with a better supporting cast.

I was pretty satisfied with the overall content....

4 or 5 targeted free agents

Build through the Draft

Motivated the existing players without tipping his hand too much

If he really wanted to get into the money stuff they could have had Overdorf there. They didn't want to talk about money--that was obvious from his evasive almost uniformed answers. I think that was done on purpose.

Marv is more like Yoda to this team--overall good Kharma but not the day to day guy....it showed a bit--but why tip your hand more than he did...

Marv is more like Yoda to this team--overall good Kharma but not the day to day guy....it showed a bit--but why tip your hand more than he did...

Agreed. I thought him giving the example of balancing the need to get a good guard and keeping your own at a high price was quite telling. Quite clear they will balance the budget between pressing needs (guard) against his preference to keep your own (NC). The reason this is significant to me is that he will not let his overall philosophy get in the way of making a practical choice.

If he really wanted to get into the money stuff they could have had Overdorf there.

They didn't want to talk about money--that was obvious from his evasive almost uniformed answers. I think that was done on purpose.

I laughed at how Marv feels about the money that football players make.

"5 million to play football, imagine" :worthy:

It is a sign of the times though that even 5 mil is not enough with some. And listening to him talk, it's something he will never be able to grasp or understand.

And that is precisely why they have an Overdorf. Marv is not supposed to be a money man.

I guess Marv is so usually well spoken and in command and yes was a breath of fresh air after TD but today I was blown away by several of his comments...everyone in B-lo heard Willis' comments and he didn't??? He wasn't aware of the Franchise Tag terms, says he loves the WR corps but later says they will look to improve WR. Aaron Merz possible solution to OL? etc. To me today he was all over the place, like Howard Simon said I wished this was a rah rah we have the 2nd most cap room to spend, this is what we're going to do..... I all heard today was trying to re-sign their own and bank on that and look for another RB to challenge WM. It sounded like complete confusion...how many times did Marv say he wasn't sure or didn't know or wasn't aware of that? If Marv is GM for PR purposes today the Bills PR campaign failed.

I think that was by design They were not going to tell you, yes, we're targeting this player and will offer this much etc. He addressed questions in general terms, as he should. Listen carefully and you can pick up on subtleties that indicate where they may go. I thought it was very good for them to do this. I really now think Marshawn Lynch, if available, is definately our 1st round pick, for example.

WGR is being silly. Due to some here posting how ridiculous they have been over that last few months, I decided to listen to them today on the internet. They set Marv up BIGTIME.

Before the press conference: - Not sure who the guy was - Schop(sp) I think - says "I know that Marv doesn't want to give away his game plan but we need to hear more than we are going to try and sign the guys we have", etc.

After the press conference: "We need to hear more, etc. But Marv is not tipping his hand." And then one guy says, "Well, I guess I don't care about what he says as long as there are results, etc." Mike(again my guess) says: "Yeah but there is a PR aspect to it - people won't go to games", etc.

Wow, what geniuses. You know that Marv won't tip his hand (IMO because he want to get some RFAs and doesn't want to bid against himself), yet you call him out for not tipping his hand. Hey, great journalism - where did u go to school Mike? With that prowess on display did u go to Columbia?:pirate: I'm amazed! He can predict the future!

And then, to make matters worse: He insults us all by saying that somehow what Levy says in a Presser is more important than the results he obtains - i.e. signings, draft picks - as though we are all idiots and incapable of understanding what a FA signing/draft pick "means". Moreover, if an average Joe(read: no one on this board) happens to pop on the radio and listens to these guys he might think all hell is breaking loose with the Bills->not gonna buy many tickets unless he hears something positive. Schop says he is interested in making sure that people go to the games.

Mike: How are u helping make sure they go when you keep saying the Bills suck! :worthy: Do I have to draw u a picture?

I can see why people have been pissed at these guys - couple of hacks IMHO. The Philly guys are at least somewhat insightful and have much more to offer than the blatantly obvious - well, unless they are talking about the Flyers in which case all reason goes out the window. It is extremely fun to hear them cry about the Sabres :wallbash:

To those that still, amazingly, don't seem to know (including WGR) :

Marv is the GM OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS. He deals very little to not at all with the salary cap. He is strictly concerned with the makeup of the team/ player personell structure and the staff has been delegated roles to deal with all other things.

:worthy: