Why was Barbaro euthanized?

Simon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a broken leg right?

They don't euthanize dogs or cats when they break a leg. Hell I've seen plenty of 3-legged critters getting around just fine. If I break or lose a leg I don't want to be euthanized out of a distorted sense of mercy.

Why can't they just let him limp around the rest of his life. Or take the bad leg off above the fracture and and call him Eileen?

Somebody educate me here........

You don't get a huge insurance check when you put down your cat or dog.

None of these articles have really answered my question.

Why couldn't htey have just removed the leg if it was a real problem?

Surfing around a bit I've seen a couple pictures of 3-legged horses and even found an article about a horse that was fitted with a prosthetic leg.

What was different about this horse that it couldn't have survived?

It would have had no quality of life, plus the horse was in great pain. Also, horses cannot live on 3 legs. Barbaro wasnt even able to stud, why want to keep living anyway. :wallbash:

None of these articles have really answered my question.

Why couldn't htey have just removed the leg if it was a real problem?

Surfing around a bit I've seen a couple pictures of 3-legged horses and even found an article about a horse that was fitted with a prosthetic leg.

What was different about this horse that it couldn't have survived?

12 pounds of cat on three legs is no problem. 1200 pounds of horse on three legs is a big problem. You split that much weight between three hooves, the animal starts shedding hooves (i.e. laminitis). Then you basically have a no-legged horse (no-footed, really...same thing, horse is down, can't move). Then the horse dies. Painfully; laminitis is no treat. It's far more humane, given the odds of survival (practically zero), to kill the horse.

Why they didn't try a prosthetic? 1) Prosthetic horse legs must be experimental as hell; none of the "horsey" people I know have ever heard of them. 2) Barbaro, at this point, had other problems: had already had one bout of laminitis, other hind leg was going bad. Even with a prosthesis, Barbaro was in a bad way.

Very good article in USA today about it. Some vets commented on how much they learned and progressed because of the (very expensive) medical care Barbaro received. However they all felt that the horse had reached a point where it would never stand and was in severe discomfort. Sounds like a pretty humane decision. Don't eat at Burger King for a couple of days.

just an interesting aside i head on the tube today... Barbaro's mother is pregnant with his FULL brother at a farm in kentucky. the foal is due sometime this spring. With the same parents as barbaro, it'll be interesting to follow this horse's development.

just an interesting aside i head on the tube today... Barbaro's mother is pregnant with his FULL brother at a farm in kentucky. the foal is due sometime this spring. With the same parents as barbaro, it'll be interesting to follow this horse's development.

See! This proves something about East German scientists!

It would have had no quality of life, plus the horse was in great pain. Also, horses cannot live on 3 legs. Barbaro wasnt even able to stud, why want to keep living anyway. :wallbash:

Barbaro actually did mate in the last 8 months. The line is continuing on. To answer the other persons question, most horse are normally put down the day they break a leg due to a horrible healing process. Most horses like Barbaro, will heal the broken leg however in the meantime gain many other issues/health problems.

He was probably kept alive long enough to make sure he could mate as well as to become in a nutshell (no pun intended) a sperm donor.

how come people are cool with killing cats and dogs and horses to put them out of their misery but when people sincerely want to die because they are in so much pain people get all fired up?

You're just not talking to the right people. :wallbash:

With what? If his genes are carried on, it won't be with a racehorse.

I know this may be a dumb question, but shouldn't they have been able to 'acquire' some sperm from him in the past few months and freeze it or something to be able to inseminate other mares in the future? Wouldn't that stuff be worth meelions and meelions of $$$$$? - I would have thought they would have been mining that white gold...

I know this may be a dumb question, but shouldn't they have been able to 'acquire' some sperm from him in the past few months and freeze it or something to be able to inseminate other mares in the future? Wouldn't that stuff be worth meelions and meelions of $$$$$? - I would have thought they would have been mining that white gold...

Would you want to be the breeder or the owner of the mare who pays $75,000 for a sample of sperm 'guaranteed' to be Barbaro's?

Any thoroughbred racehorse that is put out to stud must impregnate the mare 'naturally.' The breeding rules are strict, and heavily regulated for many reasons. Avoiding incest and in-breeding, and 100% verification of bloodlines are two of the major reasons. No artificial insemination.

Not a dumb question- the answer just isn't that well known.