steinbach

Bash_Gash

That would be great!

Plus, isn't he one of the only Bengals who wasn't arrested this year?

There is that character Marv always talks about.

Actually, he was arrested for "boating under the influence" this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2740990

Frankly I don't care, if we can sign the guy, it will solidify the LG spot for several years.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He'll be a buccaneer or a patriot. He's great, good for him hitting free agency but it won't happen. I saw a crapload of lineman we're having in FA and PS but other than that, I hope we pick him up and he could filll the hole of Villarial or Gandy *(which, since I'm from IUP, I think Gandy should go rather than Villiy, haha)

that would be the anti-Patriot move.

they do not keep their own high priced FAs. They sure don't overpay for someone else's castoff- no matter how good they may be.

PAts will find a OG in the 3rd round that will make the Pro Bowl.

Pioli knows how to evaluate talent.

I agree. The odds of him signing with Buffalo are between slim and none.

PS If the Bills wanted Steinbach in uniform, they would have drafted him several years ago instead of our GM acting like he is smarter than everyone else in drafting a 1 legged RB instead. <_<

Sign nine time Pro Bowler Ruben Brown!!!

I would love to have Steinbach from a fan's and coach's perspective, no questions asked.

I also think improving our play at guard is probably the single most important part of our off season, but still one of many.

But, much like Nate, I don't think that Steinbach will make financial sense and be a good choice from a GM's perspective. What we would have to pay him to come is more than his value over the next best choice is. And that would limit us in improving this off season.

I point to baseball and the Oakland A's again. Clements is Barry Zito...a talented guy, but one who wants to be paid like a #1 without really being a #1. The A's let him go without really considering it an option (but certainly making their best offer early to be laughed at by the player). Steinbach is Alfonso Soriano...a very talented player who would clearly be much better than the guy the A's had playing the position, but just costs too much, and signing him would force the team to field a WORSE team by not having the resources to upgrade elsewhere.

That's the same reason you won't see Steinbach in New England either. What is important for any team to realize, and especially a small market team, is that if another team is willing to overpay a player and make a BAD decision, you need to accept it and move on and find value elsewhere. I think that at least one team will overpay Clements and at least one team will overpay Steinback. If that is the case, go elsewhere and look for the best value we can find.

PS If the Bills wanted Steinbach in uniform, they would have drafted him several years ago instead of our GM acting like he is smarter than everyone else in drafting a 1 legged RB instead. <_<

Sarcasm on. Good thing Marv's not hung up on looking like a genius...

Steinbach would be a good addition, both from a roster and PR perspective.

I would love to have Steinbach from a fan's and coach's perspective, no questions asked.

I also think improving our play at guard is probably the single most important part of our off season, but still one of many.

But, much like Nate, I don't think that Steinbach will make financial sense and be a good choice from a GM's perspective. What we would have to pay him to come is more than his value over the next best choice is. And that would limit us in improving this off season.

I point to baseball and the Oakland A's again. Clements is Barry Zito...a talented guy, but one who wants to be paid like a #1 without really being a #1. The A's let him go without really considering it an option (but certainly making their best offer early to be laughed at by the player). Steinbach is Alfonso Soriano...a very talented player who would clearly be much better than the guy the A's had playing the position, but just costs too much, and signing him would force the team to field a WORSE team by not having the resources to upgrade elsewhere.

That's the same reason you won't see Steinbach in New England either. What is important for any team to realize, and especially a small market team, is that if another team is willing to overpay a player and make a BAD decision, you need to accept it and move on and find value elsewhere. I think that at least one team will overpay Clements and at least one team will overpay Steinback. If that is the case, go elsewhere and look for the best value we can find.

That's a very reasoned post, and makes a ton of sense, but what somewhat negates the reasoning IMO is that every team is full of overpaid and underpaid players. There are a ton of number one picks with huge contracts that suck, and an equal number of high priced FA's that werent worth it, or stars that are highly paid but hurt. There are just as many superb players at tiny contracts, or 6th and 7th round draft picks or street FAs that are starting and producing. In fact, there are probably as many unafirly paid players overall, too much and too little, as there are fairly paid players. Some guys it's important to overpay. A great guard on this particular Bills team makes the tackle, center, quarterback and running back instantly better. And that could help the defense. We're paying peanuts for our OL right now and it needs a serious upgrade, and not a lot of options.

If it takes 5M per yr to pair a Steinbach or Dielman with Peters and give Willis or whoever a chance to run for more than 100+ ypg, then I'm all for it. We've seen how going cheap with bargain basement type guys has gotten us. The O-Line has been a problem for so long, unless we get a rookie from the draft who can start and play well like Marcus McNeill (only at guard) then FA is the only other option. Does this team want to win in 07 or just keeping winning 2 more games per season and hope to go 9-7 this year? Signing a Steinbach or Dielman tells me they want to win now, and not two years down the road.

Sometimes you've gotta pay to get quality players. And sometimes you've gotta overpay to have a position or two filled in FA. It would go a long way to solidifying an OL that is consistently overmatched.

I agree. The odds of him signing with Buffalo are between slim and none.

Different regimes....TD chose not to pick Steinbach. Steinbach has already proved that he is one of the best at his position for the last 5 years...What makes you think Marv will also ignore him.

My bad, but thank god you believe that. WE ARE SET at safety, we're fine, we weren't beat deep, we were beat in the run game and through fluke plays, Whitner and Simpson will be absolutely fine, they'll do great for a very, very long time. WE MEED a cheap guard, who can block the pass rush, because that is ALL we need. We'll be a playoff contender next year. I believe we're fine with a guard, but we need a FB really bad, which is why I think we should've kept Ricard, but this year we'll fish in FA or through the draft, I hate to post my thoughts but I almost guarantee this.

It aint that easy to take the next step and make the playoffs. My guess is that the season after the upcoming one we make it.....I won't be dissapointed if I am wrong though

Different regimes....TD chose not to pick Steinbach. Steinbach has already proved that he is one of the best at his position for the last 5 years...What makes you think Marv will also ignore him.

I realize it was different regimes. TD chose not to pick him because he is smarter than all the other GM's combined. Marv will not sign him because he is going to command HUGE $$$$.

The question is, do you risk angering Jason Peters by giving Steinbach more money than he's making?

That MBD is a GREAT question.

I think that if Marv does have a strength, it is to communicate. He made these "promises" to Clements, no?

If Peters continues to develop, he will certainly be worth more than a Guard. The Bills have SO much cap space that another promise would seem to be a good idea this time.

If Peters improves his game (which I am already VERY fond of), it would be in the best interest of the franchise to lock him up to a 7 year deal, BUT.....he was just re-signed a few months ago. He can certainly wait a year.

The Bills hold the cards this time Brother. <_<

That MBD is a GREAT question.

I think that if Marv does have a strength, it is to communicate. He made these "promises" to Clements, no?

If Peters continues to develop, he will certainly be worth more than a Guard. The Bills have SO much cap space that another promise would seem to be a good idea this time.

If Peters improves his game (which I am already VERY fond of), it would be in the best interest of the franchise to lock him up to a 7 year deal, BUT.....he was just re-signed a few months ago. He can certainly wait a year.

The Bills hold the cards this time Brother. <_<

Yeah, I think that if they do go after Steinbach or Dielman and offer him more than Peters is making, they have to let JP know beforehand and promise him they'll take care of him when they can (like you said, since his deal was recently redone, he'll have to wait a year from that date).

He'll be a buccaneer or a patriot. He's great, good for him hitting free agency but it won't happen. I saw a crapload of lineman we're having in FA and PS but other than that, I hope we pick him up and he could filll the hole of Villarial or Gandy *(which, since I'm from IUP, I think Gandy should go rather than Villiy, haha)

You're on crack if you think we should keep Villarial. That guy is living in the infirmary, you can see him back up three steps to get an edge as soon as the ball is snapped, and he's slipped far below average for us. We can get equal performance or reliability out of Preston or another guy at this point. No looking back as far as I'm concerned. We have the new line that protected JP much better than the old line with Villarial, and you don't touch this unless you're making marked improvements in your additions -- Steinbach would be one. I'm not much familiar with many of the other candidates.

You will never get anywhere with this kind of attitude. Football is not baseball, sometimes in Football it makes sense to overpay for a guy. You put Steinbach on our line & I think we have a top 10 line. I think that is worth it too overpay if you have to. Keeping to your baseball analogy, yes the A's as well as the twins are usually competitve every year, however, my bet is neither one of them will get over the hump & actually win a world series anytime soon. So what, you overpay Steinbach, right now the one thing I like about this team is that alot of players for their performance on the bills are good value players. So you have to overpay for one guy, we are still getting good value at numerous other positions including Left Tackle.