What current Bills have surprised you the most?

Mikie2times

Overall we seem to do a pretty good job at identifying the guys that will make a difference and those that won't. This post isn't about those times. This is about the times you laid it on the line in defense of a player or in dismissing a player but ended up completely wrong.

My player is Roscoe Parrish.

Last year I didn't think Roscoe really moved that fast. At the very least he wasn’t lightning in a bottle which is what he needed to be with his size. I dismissed him as somebody who could be a WR in this league.

Well Roscoe, I'm sorry. Clearly the cast and injury delayed his arrival. Now I think he's a perfect #3 type, and a great addition to our special teams. His punt return nearly won us the J'Ville game, and his long TD reception at Detroit kept us in that game. Seems like he's quieted down some, but I only expect him to improve as his route running gets better.

That is correct, Roscoe for President!

863394[/snapback]

Can we petition that Peerless be exempt from running reverses/end arounds? He aint fooling anybody. Roscoe OTOH is scarey fast, let him run those.

Reverses aside, I am surprised at how well Peerless has performed. Several very clutch, very tough catches.

Well Roscoe, I'm sorry. Clearly the cast and injury delayed his arrival. Now I think he's a perfect #3 type, and a great addition to our special teams.  His punt return nearly won us the J'Ville game, and his long TD reception at Detroit kept us in that game. Seems like he's quieted down some, but I only expect him to improve as his route running gets better.

863375[/snapback]

I think he almost pulled off another Punt return yesterday before the Punter pulled him down.

Dick Jauron. No one gave him a chance at the beginning of the season. Everyone wanted Mike Sherman and no one wanted Jauron to have anything to do with the Buffalo Bills.

He has handled the QB issue effectively to the point of convincing all other 52 players who the QB of this team is going to be.

He has handled Willis McGahee to get the best out of him.

He has handled the Wins with maturity and the losses with grace.

He has been able to get his coordinators to get the best game plan to defeat an opponent without worrying about offending anyones egos.

He handled the Troy Vincent issue without it causing a tremor in the locker room.

Overall we seem to do a pretty good job at identifying the guys that will make a difference and those that won't. This post isn't about those times. This is about the times you laid it on the line in defense of a player or in dismissing a player but ended up completely wrong.

My player is Roscoe Parrish.

Last year I didn't think Roscoe really moved that fast. At the very least he wasn’t lightning in a bottle which is what he needed to be with his size. I dismissed him as somebody who could be a WR in this league. 

Well Roscoe, I'm sorry. Clearly the cast and injury delayed his arrival. Now I think he's a perfect #3 type, and a great addition to our special teams.  His punt return nearly won us the J'Ville game, and his long TD reception at Detroit kept us in that game. Seems like he's quieted down some, but I only expect him to improve as his route running gets better.

863375[/snapback]

I completely agree bout Roscoe--he wasnt moving well last year.This yr totally different. Also...I must admit...JP. Good performances in last 5 of 6 games.

I also have to give props to Jim Leonhard... I've slammed him many times for being a midget, but he had a good game at SS yesterday & a great PR against the Chargers last week. :thumbsup:

At the same time though, his play makes taking a S #8 look really stupid again,

even though I like Donte.

863375[/snapback]

Jason Peters, I didn't think he would ever have an NFL position. I thought him as another Butch Rolle. As I felt he was far too slow to be a full time TE and I never expected him to have the strength to be a starting O-lineman, let alone a Left OT, in the league. While I'm not ready to anoit him as great as some here have made him to be he has far exceeded my expectations and gets a nod from me as being a player.

Can we petition that Peerless be exempt from running reverses/end arounds?  He aint fooling anybody.  Roscoe OTOH is scarey fast, let him run those.

Reverses aside, I am surprised at how well Peerless has performed.  Several very clutch, very tough catches.

863423[/snapback]

I'm very comfortable with Peerless as the Bills #2 WR. He makes great catches and has very good foot work. I think we'll see more yards and TD's out of him as Losman develops a bit more and begins to look off of his #1.

Melvin Fowler. Honestly I thought he'd be another trey teague. While he's not great. I think he's been more then adequate at the position, making it less of a need. We could still use a new set of guards though. More so rg then lg.

Roscoe Parrish- No offense to terrence mcgee but am I the only one who wouldnt mind seeing roscoe also return kicks? I remember reading awhile back that Mcgee put on weight in order to be more physical at corner, which I think in turn has hurt his speed on kick returns. Not that he's took some huge nose dive, but I just think Parrish would be a better return man and Mcgee could worry about improving at corner. Roscoe I think also has the potential to improve as a wr. Quickly turning into one of my more favorite players.

Aaron Schobel- I was never a big fan of this guy. One of my biggest gripes is that even though he racks up sacks which is nice he just wasn't consistent in getting pressure as he was a one trick pony who would simply be ran out of the play. This year especialy as of late I've noticed he seems to get more consistent pressure. My only gripe is we've been getting burnt on reverses and end around. I know the basis of the tampa 2 is to always attack the ball, but damn stay home aaron stay home. Otherwise I think he's improved a lot.

Robert Royal/Kevin Everett- More so Kevin Everett as I had pretty high hopes for him to be a good receiving threat at the position. Royal and Cieslak seem to be coming on as of late, but I would still love to get a real threat at the position more so then a #2 receiver.

Nate Clements- I've always been a Clements fan and have maintained thru the past few years that he was worth throwing money at to keep. His play the past few weeks has been nothing short of magnificent, and he's laying some pretty damn good hits as well. With the cap room we have theres no excuse not to re-sign the Playmaker.

Willis Mcgahee- Yeah I've been dissapointed. Not cause I think he lacks "heart" or whatever imaginary term you can think of, but simply because I expected him to be a bigger part of the offense. Yeah he's hindered by injuries the past few weeks, and he seems to rediscovered his nose for the endzone, so I'm still holding out hope, but I wouldn't mind seeing a good compliment type rb brought in.