Ko Simpson

I'm no expert here. All I know is that I haven't heard his name called too much, haven't seen him making many plays on the ball and haven't noticed him making many tackles. He's pretty much been invisible to my untrained eyes.

Now I realize he's a rookie trying to get acclimated to a whole new level of competition, and probably trying to learn to work within a system thats competely foreign to him. I'm not questioning the decision to make him the starter and I'm not suggesting we should even consider benching him. I'm just asking those who may understand better than I:

Where is he on the NFL learning curve? Is he at the point in his developement where he should be? Does he look like he can play in the cover 2? When do I see the ball hawk I was told we were getting in the draft?

I'm not being impatient here, just looking for someone's opinion on how Ko is progressing. I'm perfectly willing to wait and let him develop. Thanks, and go Bills!

I'm no expert here. All I know is that I haven't heard his name called too much, haven't seen him making many plays on the ball and haven't noticed him making many tackles. He's pretty much been invisible to my untrained eyes.

Now I realize he's a rookie trying to get acclimated to a whole new level of competition, and probably trying to learn to work within a system thats competely foreign to him. I'm not questioning the decision to make him the starter and I'm not suggesting we should even consider benching him. I'm just asking those who may understand better than I:

Where is he on the NFL learning curve? Is he at the point in his developement where he should be? Does he look like he can play in the cover 2? When do I see the ball hawk I was told we were getting in the draft?

I'm not being impatient here, just looking for someone's opinion on how Ko is progressing. I'm perfectly willing to wait and let him develop. Thanks, and go Bills!

862693[/snapback]

I am not quite sure where he is on the learning curve basically because i don't look for him every play. But when i do, he always seems to be around the ball. I know that in training camp they wanted him to be more active in the run defense.

I'm not quite so sure he has the ability to be the ball hawk he was in college mainly due to the fact that he has to be in run support constantly due to our putrid run defense along the line.

NFL.com usually credits him with anywhere from 3-7 tackles a game, which for a safety is pretty decent. He only has one interception this season, but i am almost sure that he will come on much more by later this season or next season much like all of the others on this team.

As far as over all performance, i would say that from what i see, he rarely makes glaring mistakes and i would say his performance thus far is pretty standard for a rookie safety. I don't hear much more about Michael Huff. He hasn't exploded onto the scene like Ed Reed, but i would say he is a standard safety thus far in terms of development in his rookie season.

From the back of the envelope......

He always seems a step late, he's not physical, he takes bad angles and his field awareness may be lacking. I don't actively dislike him or anything, and he may improve with experience, but I don't care much for what we've seen so far.

Your untrained eyes must have blinked during his 63 tackles and 2 picks returned for 76 yards. For a rookie, I think he's coming along nicely. He's in on most plays in the secondary and does a good job wrapping up. No Coy Wire arm tackles from this guy.

He made a nice hit on Coles yesterday to make him drop a pass on the sideline..... In a Cover 2 he has a deep half of the field and our opponents have not been throwing deep on us much the last few games.... When it comes to not being heard of on the field >>> When you don't have your # called much (especially as a safety) your usually doing your job.... Just a few opinions and I think he is a very good athete and will be a very good FS in the years to come..... Him and Whitner are a nice combo!!!

Your untrained eyes must have blinked during his 63 tackles and 2 picks returned for 76 yards. For a rookie, I think he's coming along nicely. He's in on most plays in the secondary and does a good job wrapping up. No Coy Wire arm tackles from this guy.

862765[/snapback]

I agree Matty. People have to realize that if your safety is tops on the defense in tackles than you have a serious problem. The kid has a nose for the ball and will get better with time. For god sakes guys hes a rookie safety playing in a new system. Give the kid a break. With all the injuries we have on defense he is one of the bright spots along with Schobel. Oh and by the way we held the jets to 13 points.

862765[/snapback]

Exactly. For us to have rookie pair of safeties they have performed far better than expected. While they haven't made many big plays they have been in position and haven't given up many either. Teams have tried to exploit them and if they could torch them they would. If the Bills can get a tough anchor DT to replace Anderson and resign Fletcher and Clemens they might be a top 10 or even 5 ranked defense next year.

Unfortunately there is no way for any of us to really tell how he is playing based on the way TV cameras are set up for the NFL broadcast. Only the people who go to games will have any opportunity to really check out what he is doing. Of the 2 games I've been to , I thought he played very well in one and mediocre in the other. He does show really good range back there but his recognition may need some time to come along.

He made a nice hit on Coles yesterday to make him drop a pass on the sideline..... In a Cover 2 he has a deep half of the field and our opponents have not been throwing deep on us much the last few games.... When it comes to not being heard of on the field >>> When you don't have your # called much (especially as a safety) your usually doing your job.... Just a few opinions and I think he is a very good athete and will be a very good FS in the years to come..... Him and Whitner are a nice combo!!!

862768[/snapback]

Agreed. :thumbsup:

And that hit on Coles was MONEY.

862765[/snapback]

Also, you have to take into consideration that he was in college-game for only 2 years.

Unfortunately there is no way for any of us to really tell how he is playing based on the way TV cameras are set up for the NFL broadcast. Only the people who go to games will have any opportunity to really check out what he is doing.

862776[/snapback]

Being at the game gives you the ability to better analyze a player than on TV, but unless you know what his responsibilities are on each and evey play, you are only guessing as to whether he is good or bad on any given play as far as being in the right place.

862765[/snapback]

You are correct, my eyes are untrained for statistics. And it's interesting that you should mention Wire as both Ko and Coy may turn out to have similar day late and dollar short games.

As for the rest of the chorus, are you all the same nitwits who climbed all over me for daring to say that Keion Carpenter was somewhat less than an All-Pro safety?

Being at the game gives you the ability to better analyze a player than on TV, but unless you know what his reponsibilities are on each and evey play, you are only guessing as to whether he is good or bad on any given play as far as being in the right place.

862977[/snapback]

Very True ...

You are correct, my eyes are untrained for statistics. And it's interesting that you should mention Wire as both Ko and Coy may turn out to have similar day late and dollar short games.

As for the rest of the chorus, are you all the same nitwits who climbed all over me for daring to say that Keion Carpenter was somewhat less than an All-Pro safety?

863105[/snapback]

Good thing I wasn't replying to you.

Definitely agree on the bad angles... the lack of vision tends to turn long gains into "longer" gains.

He always seems a step late, he's not physical, he takes bad angles and his field awareness may be lacking. I don't actively dislike him or anything, and he may improve with experience, but I don't care much for what we've seen so far.

862733[/snapback]

862733[/snapback]

he does seem to be lacking in the quickness dept, and is something of a long strider. i'm also concerned about recognition (but maybe i'm reading too much into him getting completely burned by tomlinson last week). he's a rookie, though, and may get a lot better. bottom line - it's too early to tell.

862765[/snapback]

Ya i i was worried when they had to throw him in the lineup so early but he has really impressed me. Every time i see him hes in on the tackle and making plays. Glad we got him

I'm no sure which Ko Simpson you guys are watching. I see a guy who is probably the #1 rookie contributor on this team. I think he's making more plays than Whittner.

Overall, you have to love Marv's first draft. Look at how many players are contributing already. Injury and family issues set back Yobouty and McCargo so their grade is incomplete. But how often do you have draft and get that many players in their rookie yar?

PTR