Ko Simpson

I'm no sure which Ko Simpson you guys are watching.  I see a guy who is probably the #1 rookie contributor on this team.  I think he's making more plays than Whittner.

Overall, you have to love Marv's first draft.  Look at how many players are contributing already.  Injury and family issues set back Yobouty and McCargo so their grade is incomplete.  But how often do you have draft and get that many players in their rookie yar?

PTR

863849[/snapback]

Good point Promo, Kieth Ellison was all over the field yesterday and Ko Simpson shows up to play almost every Sunday. Whitner is coming along, but i said it before the season during training camp, and i will say it again; the guy can't cover the tight ends in the NFL.

As for McCargo, right before he was injured his presence was there on my TV, and that is all that i ask. Before McCargo got hurt, our run defense is not as bad as it has been since his injury. So i don't think that people were really giving him a fair shake since we are so used to guys like Sam Adams and Pat Williams, who are very difficult to miss on television, or anywhere for that matter.

This rookie class has had more impact on this team in its rookie year than any of Donahoe's did in their's. Give it time, i think these guys can only get better. Ko Simpson included.

Good point Promo, Kieth Ellison was all over the field yesterday and Ko Simpson shows up to play almost every Sunday. Whitner is coming along, but i said it before the season during training camp, and i will say it again; the guy can't cover the tight ends in the NFL.

863899[/snapback]

I agree, his covering of tight ends is very concerning. Do you think is is a height issue or athletic issue? He is a smaller safety (I think 5'10")

I agree, his covering of tight ends is very concerning.  Do you think is is a height issue or athletic issue?  He is a smaller safety (I think 5'10")

863967[/snapback]

If you see him in person, he is a lying 5'10". I think it is a size issue in general, not only height. The fact that he is a smaller safety, ehight wise, does not help but the mere fact that most tight ends outweigh him by probably about 75 pounds, i think it is an issue of the larger body winning the battle.

Granted he is strong for a guy like himself, a guy like Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzalez certainly have the leverage it takes to win battles for the ball over him, both when in the air, or a tugging contest for the ball once it has been caught by either player.

The thing that Buffalo has to do is find a way to match him against slot receivers, number two's, and running backs. In order for this to happen, guys like Crowell will be forced to step up their pass coverage skills.

That's where Whitner will become very effective, is when you can create one on one coverage between Whitner and smaller players. If he is covering the running back, that means that he will already be stepping forward to the line, thus he is ready for both pass and run support.

The problem is that he is forced into zone coverage with the Cover 2 which would almost never match him against running backs. :beer: