NFL players playing fantasy football

bartshan-83

Great article!

Fantasy football is the best thing that's happened to the NFL. There are thousands of people who were never football fans who now watch the games and follow the NFL because of fantasy football. Plus, for us real fans, it gives us some fun when our real team stinks up the joint.  :)

859280[/snapback]

For some reason, I've never gotten into it.

For some reason, I've never gotten into it.

859287[/snapback]

Ya I can't seem to root for the bills to beat NE 49-48 but I root for brady to for 300 yards 7 TDs and no picks with Gostkowski missing a PAT to lose. I cheer for the Bills and wish for nothing but pain and losses for the team my Bills are playing.

I think it's kind of weird that people are coming up to NFL players commenting on their fantasy teams...

859330[/snapback]

Why is that weird?

I realize there are a lot of high-n-mighty folks out there who believe fantasy football is for geeks and nerds, but what's wrong with it? It's simply another form of gambling that is longer lasting than the "instant" thrill or agony of betting on a single game.

I can't tell you how many Sunday or Monday evenings I've anxiously switched between games on the Ticket because either I or my opponent had one or two players left and our matchup went down to the wire. It's exciting, and allows me to watch the games from a different perspective.

I can completely imagine myself running into McGahee by happenstance and instead of stammering, "Willis, you're the greatest," having some fun with a "hey, man, you're killing my fantasy team" comment. Which fan do you think he would enjoy chatting with more?

Fantasy football is the best thing that's happened to the NFL. There are thousands of people who were never football fans who now watch the games and follow the NFL because of fantasy football.

:w00t:

That may be a great thing for the NFL's marketing arm, its wallet, exposure, etc. But it is not a good thing for football, I don't think.

It's exciting, and allows me to watch the games from a different perspective.

A couple years ago after playing FF for about 15 years, I quit playing because I realized I had been watching games from that perspective you're referring to. The result was I realized how good a game and sport it is when you get rid of all the peripheral crap that often gets in the way (ff, bookies, facepaint, etc).

I started playng again eventually but with a promise to myself that I wouldn't give a damn if I won or lost. Enjoying the game much more nowadays.........

:w00t:

That may be a great thing for the NFL's marketing arm, its wallet, exposure, etc. But it is not a good thing for football, I don't think.

859370[/snapback]

I don't think it harms the game. If you're a fan of a team, then real football comes first and you root for your team regardless of fantasy. Fantasy football is a way to make those other games that you don't care about interesting. In fact, I probably would not pay attention to a single NFC game if it weren't for FF.

I don't think it harms the game. If you're a fan of a team, then real football comes first and you root for your team regardless of fantasy. Fantasy football is a way to make those other games that you don't care about interesting. In fact, I probably would not pay attention to a single NFC game if it weren't for FF.

859397[/snapback]

I think it draws in fans that don't really care about anything but numbers and artificial drama. The league recognizes this and they market their "product" more toward the casual fan that won't care about additional TV timeouts, 6 minute long reviews, Tony Kornhiser talking about everything but football, ff statistic crawlscreens on top of the game, etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

While all this is fine for the NFL, it only serves to make games less enjoyable for folks like me who just like to watch football. Kinda like the sumbitch who puts onions in my baked beans, celery in my tuna, or peanuts in my stuffing. Adding extemperaneous stuff to something "good" does not always make it "better".

Cya

I think it draws in fans that don't really care about anything but numbers and artificial drama. The league recognizes this and they market their "product" more toward the casual fan that won't care about additional TV timeouts, 6 minute long reviews, Tony Kornhiser talking about everything but football, ff statistic crawlscreens on top of the game, etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

While all this is fine for the NFL, it only serves to make games less enjoyable for folks like me who just like to watch football. Kinda like the sumbitch who puts onions in my baked beans, celery in my tuna, or peanuts in my stuffing. Adding extemperaneous stuff to something "good" does not always make it "better".

Cya

859423[/snapback]

I agree 100% with your sentiments. It's a reason why I hate the Super Bowl--which is a game filled with entertainment sideshows that caters to corporate execs and fair-weather fans. But I don't think fantasy football has anything to do with the NFL's marketing ploys and watered-down version of football. In fact, it's been largely dumb luck, not NFL marketing, that has resulted in the popularity of fantasy football. The only thing the NFL can do to support FF is keep up-to-date stats on the bottom of the screen--something I don't think affects the integrity of the game.

I do, however, see your point re. attracting more fair weather fans to the NFL. It's not a good thing for football and football purists. But the NFL became "impure" long before FF's ascent.

One of the things that bothers me about FF is the attention it draws to the individual player and away from the team. When people are happy because a receiver or runiing back had a good/great statistical day but his team loses, that seems backwards to me. And then that mentalitly trickles into all the highlight/pregame/postgame shows.

I guess I just never really got into it nor really understand it, because I could never see myself cheering for a Patriots QB or a Steeler back because he's on my Fantasy team. Maybe I'm just oo much of a Bills homer. Because although I watch all the football and enjoy the games, I only cheer for the Bills and Bills players to win.

Why is that weird?

I realize there are a lot of high-n-mighty folks out there who believe fantasy football is for geeks and nerds, but what's wrong with it?  It's simply another form of gambling that is longer lasting than the "instant" thrill or agony of betting on a single game.

I can't tell you how many Sunday or Monday evenings I've anxiously switched between games on the Ticket because either I or my opponent had one or two players left and our matchup went down to the wire.  It's exciting, and allows me to watch the games from a different perspective.

I can completely imagine myself running into McGahee by happenstance and instead of stammering, "Willis, you're the greatest," having some fun with a "hey, man, you're killing my fantasy team" comment.  Which fan do you think he would enjoy chatting with more?

859352[/snapback]

I play Fantasy Football so I am not looking down on it. I just think it's weird to be going up to the players and talking about their stats when they just lost a game.

I've played FF for years, not this year though, and the only issue I have with players playing FF and I guess overall my feelings towards FF is that it will breed more players like Randy Moss, TO, and C. Johnson - who are stat driven players that are more concerned about the number of balls thrown their way - Catches, Yards, TDs, etc... instead of winning.....