Been a lot of talk about DJ today

nodnarb

I had no problem with anything the coaches tried to do today. This loss was a failure of execution at every level. Every player is a goat, except for maybe Lee Evans, who was the only guy who came to play. McGee probably had his worst game as a pro, Clements gets deked on every quick out, Shelton and Peters can't stand still, Losman made some inaccurate passes right into bears defenders, and Peerless couldn't catch a cold today. The defensive line couldn't stop a so-so runner, and the only linebacker out there giving up his body was Fletcher, as usual. This was one of those games that got out of hand early and changed the way we were forced to play. Team loss. Worst performance by the Bills since that rout by the Chargers. Or maybe the rout by NE last year.

I had no problem with anything the coaches tried to do today. This loss was a failure of execution at every level. Every player is a goat, except for maybe Lee Evans, who was the only guy who came to play. McGee probably had his worst game as a pro, Clements gets deked on every quick out, Shelton and Peters can't stand still, Losman made some inaccurate passes right into bears defenders, and Peerless couldn't catch a cold today. The defensive line couldn't stop a so-so runner, and the only linebacker out there giving up his body was Fletcher, as usual. This was one of those games that got out of hand early and changed the way we were forced to play. Team loss. Worst performance by the Bills since that rout by the Chargers. Or maybe the rout by NE last year.

799368[/snapback]

The fake punt was 100% Mike Mularkey.

It's the opening drive of the game and you hand the ball to them right at your own 40? The was a stupid coaching decision. Nothing else. Just stupid. The negatives greatly out weighed the positives.

So many of you defended DJ on the fourth down call against the Pats. You said it showed he beleived in his team. The fake punt told his team they had no chance and the team went on to play like it the rest of the game. :D

It's the opening drive of the game and you hand the ball to them right at your own 40? The was a stupid coaching decision. Nothing else. Just stupid. The negatives greatly out weighed the positives.

So many of you defended DJ on the fourth down call against the Pats. You said it showed he beleived in his team. The fake punt told his team they had no chance and the team went on to play like it the rest of the game.  :D

799378[/snapback]

Is there ever a time that the second-guessing champions of this board would think it's appropriate to run a fake punt?

Personally, I thought it was a great time to try it. If, y'know, Moorman had fielded the snap like he does on every punt, Chicago would not have ended up with the ball on our 40.

It wasn't a fake punt....let it go, people.

799381[/snapback]

From the BuffaloBills.com article:

Mike Schneck uncharacteristically delivered a low snap to Brian Moorman who was going to run the ball to the right in an effort to gain a first down with his legs on a fake. However, Moorman lost the handle and the Bears recovered at the Bills 40-yard line.

"We know that Brian is a tremendous athlete so we wanted to take advantage of it," said Jauron. "We just thought it was a good time for it. We have it in every week. Unfortunately it didn't work. When it doesn't go right it's not a good call. That's just the way it is."

From the BuffaloBills.com article:

Mike Schneck uncharacteristically delivered a low snap to Brian Moorman who was going to run the ball to the right in an effort to gain a first down with his legs on a fake. However, Moorman lost the handle and the Bears recovered at the Bills 40-yard line.

"We know that Brian is a tremendous athlete so we wanted to take advantage of it," said Jauron. "We just thought it was a good time for it. We have it in every week. Unfortunately it didn't work. When it doesn't go right it's not a good call. That's just the way it is."

799385[/snapback]

Okay, well....Moorman is a liar then :D

I had a much bigger problem with the 2nd an inches, opening drive on the Bears 40 and we decided to get cute and go for the bomb. I said to my wife, just get the 1st down on these next two downs. "Don't throw deep, they are expecting that"... Instead we way overthrow downfield, get knocked back a yard on 3rd and inches and then the 4th down botched punt scenario follows. I thought on the road, great opponent, 1st drive, you just take two downs to get the 1st down as they will be hard to come by.

So many of you defended DJ on the fourth down call against the Pats. You said it showed he beleived in his team. The fake punt told his team they had no chance and the team went on to play like it the rest of the game.  :D

799378[/snapback]

Actually, no. It was 100% Bobby April. Does he suck? The play was there to be had. Low snap, Moorman mishandled it, EXECUTION AGAIN.

Or Jauron is taking the heat to defend his player.

It certainly did look to me like a called fake, though.

799400[/snapback]

I only saw the nfl.com updates, so I was relying on Bills Daily when they said Moorman denied it was a fake.....oh well. Moorman does a lot more right than he does wrong, so no biggie.

799368[/snapback]

They gave up on the run when we fell behind 13- 0 in the second quarter.That's way too early

Relax people....the Bills got their asses handed to them by a far superior oppenent on the road. Don't overreact to this loss, in the same way we overreact to wins against Miami and Minnesota.

I think there is plenty of blame for this loss to be placed at the feet of both the coaches and the players. Even if the coaches and players had coached and played to the very best of their abilities, they likely would have still lost to the Bears.

I know the Bills played pretty dreadful today, but honestly, I was a little impressed (just a little) that I never got the feeling that they were checking out on the game...they played poorly, but they played hard.

This team is at the very early stages of a rebuild..there are likely going to be 1 or 2 more Sundays like this, and another 5 or 6 like last Sunday...this is a work in progress...and believe it or not, there has been progress.

Okay, well....Moorman is a liar then  :D

799386[/snapback]

Or maybe Moorman was being a "gamer", saying it wasn't a fake, thinking that the Bills might try to use that play again, somewhere down the road? Just a thought....

Or maybe Moorman was being a "gamer", saying it wasn't a fake, thinking that the Bills might try to use that play again, somewhere down the road?  Just a thought....

799515[/snapback]

Did Moorman also say he didn't know it was fourth down :lol:

Fake punts, fake field goals, pooch kicks and bootlegs? Sounds a lot like Mike Mularkey to me. ;)

Regardless...whatever play was called, the snap sucked.  Punt or fake punt, a bad snap is going to !@#$ it up. 

But let's all blame Jauron for the bad snap.  Jesus...you people...  ;)

799485[/snapback]

Not the bad snap just the bad play call. The negatives greatly outweighed any positive. That's piss poor coaching. That was as bad a call as not taking the three points against the Pats. :lol:

Is there ever a time that the second-guessing champions of this board would think it's appropriate to run a fake punt?

Personally, I thought it was a great time to try it.  If, y'know, Moorman had fielded the snap like he does on every punt, Chicago would not have ended up with the ball on our 40.

799380[/snapback]

When the team is good enough to overcome the results when they don't work out. :lol:

When the team is good enough to overcome the results when they don't work out.  :lol:

800190[/snapback]

Then... why bother? At that point isn't it simpler just to beat them straight up?

Then... why bother? At that point isn't it simpler just to beat them straight up?

800222[/snapback]

Yes.

Trick plays and gimics work best when you establish something. A bootleg works great for teams that have a proven running game. The Bills of the '90s would run trick plays from time to time? They worked a lot of the time because teams were too concerned about Thomas and the K-Gun. They didn't have time to worry about end arounds or flea flickers.

The Bills main focus should be perfecting their base offense and base defense not fake field goals or punts. The team isn't good enough to pull them off. Maybe they should take the practice time wasted on the trick special teams plays and work on some plays that would help Losman complete a pass beyond the first down marker on third down. :lol:

Yes.

Trick plays and gimics work best when you establish something. A bootleg works great for teams that have a proven running game. The Bills of the '90s would run trick plays from time to time? They worked a lot of the time because teams were too concerned about Thomas and the K-Gun. They didn't have time to worry about end arounds or flea flickers.

The Bills main focus should be perfecting their base offense and base defense not fake field goals or punts. The team isn't good enough to pull them off. Maybe they should take the practice time wasted on the trick special teams plays and work on some plays that would help Losman complete a pass beyond the first down marker on third down. :lol:

800275[/snapback]

The Bills had established the fact that they punted a lot from the punt formation by punting a lot from punt formation. ;) Mike Schenk is one of the best snappers in the league. He just happened to have a slightly bad snap. Moorman catches the ball approximately 100% of the time it is snapped to him, but it was low and he wasn't expecting it low, and he dropped it. Yes, it was likely hindered by the fact he wanted to run with it before he caught it but you try that snap and catch 100 times and those two players are likely going to be able to snap and catch it 99 times. They just flat blew it with the snap a little low but catchable.

We weren't going to beat the Bears anyway.

800203[/snapback]

Then why waste the jet fuel. Why not just stay in WNY and give the Bears the game.

I can't beleive the loser mentality that has overcome Bills nation. What the hell happened to you guys.

You accept a gimic for GM.

You make excuses for Losman left and right.

You blow off a 40-7 embarassment as being OK because the Bills were suposed to lose?

First I thought your standards were just low. I was wrong. You have no standards at all.

WTF. Put down the Bills flavored Kool-Aid and get your football senses back. Quit being so Bills whipped that you are bending over and saying "thank you sir may I have another?" everytime the Bills make an excuse. :lol:

The Bills had established the fact that they punted a lot from the punt formation by punting a lot from punt formation.  :lol: Mike Schenk is one of the best snappers in the league. He just happened to have a slightly bad snap. Moorman catches the ball approximately 100% of the time it is snapped to him, but it was low and he wasn't expecting it low, and he dropped it. Yes, it was likely hindered by the fact he wanted to run with it before he caught it but you try that snap and catch 100 times and those two players are likely going to be able to snap and catch it 99 times. They just flat blew it with the snap a little low but catchable.

800293[/snapback]

Want a sure-fire fake punt execution?...

My solution:

Put little headphones in the punter's helmet... Tell everyone it will be a normal punt and then at the last second when Moorman catches the snap correctly... Yell into the headphones:

Run!

;):w00t:

Want a sure-fire fake punt execution?...

My solution:

Put little headphones in the punter's helmet... Tell everyone it will be a normal punt and then at the last second when Moorman catches the snap correctly... Yell into the headphones:

Run!

:lol:  ;)

800305[/snapback]

Funny, but the speaker shuts off either at the 10 seconds count left in the play clock, or when the ball is snapped.

Then why waste the jet fuel. Why not just stay in WNY and give the Bears the game.

I can't beleive the loser mentality that has overcome Bills nation. What the hell happened to you guys.

You blow off a 40-7 embarassment as being OK because the Bills were suposed to lose?

First I thought your standards were just low. I was wrong. You have no standards at all.

WTF. Put down the Bills flavored Kool-Aid and get your football senses back. Quit being so Bills whipped that you are bending over and saying "thank you sir may I have another?" everytime the Bills make an excuse. :lol:

800297[/snapback]

Exactly!

That is why I am so bitter.

The Bills very well were capable of competing...

Even one local paper said that you know the Bears are on a roll when even their mistakes can't haunt them...

I don't care who the Bills played out there... They would have made them look like world beaters...

Funny, but the speaker shuts off either at the 10 seconds count left in the play clock, or when the ball is snapped.

800307[/snapback]

I was being funny.

Just goes to show you that this team is uptight in a situation like that... How else do you explain the bad snap at this time.

If a real punt was called... It would have went off flawlessly, no doubt.

800297[/snapback]

I like the way you think. Good post.

A good coach should know his team, and I think this team has clearly shown that they are too young/immature/inexperienced to:

1) execute high stakes plays when the adrenaline is flowing.

2) avoid epic letdowns when the said high stakes play doesn't work.

799368[/snapback]

799380[/snapback]

yes. when it works. then they will go on about the brilliance of the play call. this is what hindsight and second guessing allow you to do.

I had a much bigger problem with the 2nd an inches, opening drive on the Bears 40 and we decided to get cute and go for the bomb.  I said to my wife, just get the 1st down on these next two downs. "Don't throw deep, they are expecting that"... Instead we way overthrow downfield, get knocked back a yard on 3rd and inches and then the 4th down botched punt scenario follows.  I thought on the road, great opponent, 1st drive, you just take two downs to get the 1st down as they will be hard to come by.

799393[/snapback]

on the contrary, 2nd and inches is the BEST time to call the bomb. The defense has to defend the run so to not give up the first down. plus, if it goes incomplete, you have 3rd down to gain the 1 yard necessary.

on the contrary, 2nd and inches is the BEST time to call the bomb. The defense has to defend the run so to not give up the first down. plus, if it goes incomplete, you have 3rd down to gain the 1 yard necessary.

801361[/snapback]

And in that part of the field, 4th down as well. But I guess you should plan ahead and account for the false start...

And in that part of the field, 4th down as well.  But I guess you should plan ahead and account for the false start...

801379[/snapback]

Agreed. On the opposition 40 yd line, you should be automatically thinking its 4 down territory. You have 3rd and usually 4th to gain the yard necessary. Of course, then damion shelton decides to have fun and back you up into 4th and 5. :doh:

801361[/snapback]

The Bills haven't proven they can get that yard. This team doesn't have free downs or points to waste. Get the first down and keep the drive alive. Everytime this team tries to get cute it blows up. It blows up because they are not good enough. :doh:

The Bills haven't proven they can get that yard. This team doesn't have free downs or points to waste. Get the first down and keep the drive alive. Everytime this team tries to get cute it blows up. It blows up because they are not good enough. :doh:

801398[/snapback]

are you talking again? All i see typed is waaah, waah, blah blah.

The Bills haven't proven they can get that yard. This team doesn't have free downs or points to waste. Get the first down and keep the drive alive. Everytime this team tries to get cute it blows up. It blows up because they are not good enough. :lol:

801398[/snapback]

Yeah, trying a deep ball is real "cute."

I had a much bigger problem with the 2nd an inches, opening drive on the Bears 40 and we decided to get cute and go for the bomb.  I said to my wife, just get the 1st down on these next two downs. "Don't throw deep, they are expecting that"... Instead we way overthrow downfield, get knocked back a yard on 3rd and inches and then the 4th down botched punt scenario follows.  I thought on the road, great opponent, 1st drive, you just take two downs to get the 1st down as they will be hard to come by.

799393[/snapback]

I thought it was a great time to take a shot. They had 8 in the box and man coverage on the outside. JP held it a second too long. If Shelton doesnt false start on third down we shouldnt have a problem converting. Lee Evans is faster than 95% of the corbers int the league. I would throw one up and let him go and get it any time.