Terrell Owens taken to the hospital

justnzane

If this is true, this isn't just a case of TO being obnoxious and self-important. It means that he has a serious mental illness and deserves better than our scorn. Suicide isn't funny, and ESPN and the rest of the sports media should do the right thing and lay off the coverage.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Local radio news, here in Austin, is citing as Dallas police spokesperson as saying this was a suicide attempt. Apparently, Owens' second attempt....what a loser this guy is, in the very real sense of the word. You know, underneath all of that narcisism, there has to be a dark side...

If this is true, this isn't just a case of TO being obnoxious and self-important.  It means that he has a serious mental illness and deserves better than our scorn.  Suicide isn't funny, and ESPN and the rest of the sports media should do the right thing and lay off the coverage.

788168[/snapback]

you are correct Mike

but, as so many of the reactions here show, mental illness is not perceived as an illness but as a "weakness"

This is a societal perception and I do not see it changing anytime soon. As a result, the mental illness in our society continues to worsen. It is approaching an epidemic (of "weak" people...yeh right)

As to TO, he obviously has been mentally ill for a while - everything he does is self destructive. However, great athletes are perceived as "eccentric" and odd behavior is accepted readily.

Now, he may FINALLY get the help he needs....that is, unless they decide to suit him up for the Philly game next week.

I wouldn't be shocked if they did. ;)

but, as so many of the reactions here show, mental illness is not perceived as an illness but as a "weakness"

788192[/snapback]

The only reason this is a weakness where TO is concerned is because he apparently tried it twice and failed. It's just something he needs to get better at.

That's what just was reported-it was a suicide attempt.  Crazy.

788091[/snapback]

Too funny. I was thinking that the meltdown in Dallas would'nt start until about week 12 but this is a unexpected surprise. Just after week 3 the imploding has started!! ;)

Real story.

As much as I dilike TO it is said some people do this or rather get to a mental point to be able to try/do this.  Anyway, here is a URL

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=2497227

788213[/snapback]

"Reportedly".

Which is at least honest. But clearly TO has problems. Undiagnosed medical problems.

The latest in the FWIW department. The woman who called 911 and was with him said it wasn't a suicide attempt at all. Mort thinks that there may have been a miscommunication problem between TO and the fire dept/police that spoke to him on the way or at the hospital. What are the chances of that?! Looks to me like it was nothing. The police filed their report. The reporters went more bonkers than TO. And he will be released today and back at practice tomorrow.

"Reportedly".

Which is at least honest.  But clearly TO has problems.  Undiagnosed medical problems.

788218[/snapback]

Damn.

Let's just hope he gets the help ne needs. No matter how much of an ass he makes himself to me, you never want to hear stories like this, if the reports are true.

The latest in the FWIW department. The woman who called 911 and was with him said it wasn't a suicide attempt at all. Mort thinks that there may have been a miscommunication problem between TO and the fire dept/police that spoke to him on the way or at the hospital. What are the chances of that?! Looks to me like it was nothing. The police filed their report. The reporters went more bonkers than TO. And he will be released today and back at practice tomorrow.

788227[/snapback]

From what I read, the woman who called 911 and was with him was his publicist. It's in her interest to make it look like something other than a suicide attempt.

Again, FWIW.

If this is true, this isn't just a case of TO being obnoxious and self-important.  It means that he has a serious mental illness and deserves better than our scorn.  Suicide isn't funny, and ESPN and the rest of the sports media should do the right thing and lay off the coverage.

788168[/snapback]

Just because he tried to kill himself I have to form a new opinion of him? He is still one of the biggest A holes on the planet. Lets all turn him into a victim and feel sorry for the poor guy!