Terrell Owens taken to the hospital

justnzane

Just because he tried to kill himself I have to form a new opinion of him?  He is still one of the biggest A holes on the planet.  Lets all turn him into a victim and feel sorry for the poor guy!

788245[/snapback]

no, but we should show some respect, and not rag on the guy. That said the media should take a step back too.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because he tried to kill himself I have to form a new opinion of him?  He is still one of the biggest A holes on the planet. 

788245[/snapback]

Granted TO is not my favorite person on Earth but who can hardly make the argument that being selfish and flamboyant make him worse than a terrorist, fascist dictator or mass murderer.

Just because he tried to kill himself I have to form a new opinion of him?  He is still one of the biggest A holes on the planet.  Lets all turn him into a victim and feel sorry for the poor guy!

788245[/snapback]

Someone obviously doesn't understand that there can be a difference between the sports star and the person. Also, you say that he's an a hole like you know him personally. You don't and either do I.

With that being said even though I disagree with his on field actions... I hope that T.O. gets all of the helps he needs.

LABillzFan, just so we're clear - you would be happier now if Terrell Owens was dead?

788210[/snapback]

I couldn't be happier now if I tried. So no, I wouldn't be happier if he were dead. However I will be glad when he is no longer in the league because he feeds the media's need to turn the NFL into WWF, and I'm one of those old !@#$s who misses the days when players played for a team, not for their own self-adulation.

Suicide is serious. I think the last few months on this board have bourne that out.

I don't know if more and more people are disturbed today, because of the frantic pace of life, or something in the water, or not being able to deal with depression, or whatever. I just know that killing yourself is not the way to deal with life, my respect for Paul notwithstanding.

But, I think we have safety valves in all of us. And when that safety valve is malfunctioning, people go off the deep end and do things that they may not do otherwise.

no, but we should show some respect, and not rag on the guy. That said the media should take a step back too.

788250[/snapback]

Bet the house , college fund and the penny's in the cookie jar that won't happen......

just turn the channel or put on some music.........by the way Roger Waters was great sunday night!

But, I think we have safety valves in all of us.  And when that safety valve is malfunctioning, people go off the deep end and do things that they may not do otherwise.

788261[/snapback]

There are people who are just plain evil, and just plain wrong. There is unlimited opportunity to exercise free will.

It's not correct to feel that all bad things are because of a chemical imbalance, a malfunctioning safety valve. If that's the case, the Hitlers, the Tojos, the monster in your own town who murdered three and raped six are to be excused. They knew exactly what they were doing, and planned it well.

You cannot expect any kind of functioning society if you are prepared to accept and to explain away such, as merely people just having a bad day or who were screwed by evolution.

Don't get me wrong - problems that take folks out of normal control obviously exist. But this "it isn't me, I couldn't help it" stuff wears thin...

Isn't attempting suicide against the law? The Dallas police says there is no ongoing investigation. That to me says they are not going to look at it as a suicide attempt. I could be wrong.

788282[/snapback]

Think about it. It's the Dallas Cowboys... if he truly did the attempt. They will get him the help and try to suppress it, make it go away. T.O. getting a fine or whatever would just add more to the story.

There are people who are just plain evil, and just plain wrong. There is unlimited opportunity to exercise free will.

It's not correct to feel that all bad things are because of a chemical imbalance, a malfunctioning safety valve.  If that's the case, the Hitlers, the Tojos, the monster in your own town who murdered three and raped six are to be excused. They knew exactly what they were doing, and planned it well.

You cannot expect any kind of functioning society if you are prepared to accept and to explain away such, as merely people just having a bad day or who were screwed by evolution.

Don't get me wrong - problems that take folks out of normal control obviously exist. But this "it isn't me, I couldn't help it" stuff wears thin...

788279[/snapback]

Granted the "abuse excuse" strikes me as pretty stupid as excuses go and be they the Twinkie Defense or other acts of idiocy I do not think chemical imbalance or other such things excuse anything.

However, I hope you also recognize that any post which even implies some comparison between the crimes against humanity of Tojo, Hitler, or any of your favorite war criminals and TO and his antics lacks shall we say a little bit or reasonable proportion to put it mildly.

I really hope you do recognize this.

On your specific point, I also think it is a good thing for us to recognize while chemical imbalances or similar ills do not excuse heinous behavior at all, they certainly can explain it and is worth considering and understanding.

There is a difference between the two things.

I for one can deal with a world in which we recognize that a person might have performed a heinous act likely due to a chemical imbalance AND we also choose to incarcerate that person for a long time as punishment for that heinous act. I am even comfortable with the state putting that person to death if the act is heinous enough that this retribution and revenge is called for by our society and with due and careful application of our law and systems.

I do not see our society using the death sentence reasonably much at all as I consider only crimes of an Osana Bin Laden nature to be worthy of that societal revenge and retribution. In addition, I take so seriously the state having the power to mete out an irrevocable punishment, that is cheaper to deny someone their freedom for life than it is to run through having the necessary safeguards so the government does not take the life of a citizen who is not guilty.

I go through this only to provide a contrast between the level of disdain i think a true criminal deserves and TO deserves. TO's behavior has lapsed from the passingly amusing to the grossly unfortunate, but it is completely out of proportion to equate him to anyone who deserves to die for his sad stupidity.

Doesn't it seem that suicide is becoming more and more common?  I noticed it coming up in universities a lot more than it has in the past and suicides and suicide attempts are certainly in the new a lot more.  Wonder what's going on.

788190[/snapback]

I think the important line in your post is "in the news".

I knew a few volunter firemen in the 80s. You'd be surprised at the number of attempted suicides they got called to. With the internet and all the news channels, evereything is a lot more open today.

Granted the "abuse excuse" strikes me as pretty stupid as excuses go and be they the Twinkie Defense or other acts of idiocy I do not think chemical imbalance or other such things excuse anything.

However, I hope you also recognize that any post which even implies some comparison between the crimes against humanity of Tojo, Hitler, or any of your favorite war criminals and TO and his antics lacks shall we say a little bit or reasonable proportion to put it mildly.

I really hope you do recognize this.

On your specific point, I also think it is a good thing for us to recognize while chemical imbalances or similar ills do not excuse heinous behavior at all, they certainly can explain it and is worth considering and understanding.

There is a difference between the two things.

I for one can deal with a world in which we recognize that a person might have performed a heinous act likely due to a chemical imbalance AND we also choose to incarcerate that person for a long time as punishment for that heinous act.  I am even comfortable with the state putting that person to death if the act is heinous enough that this retribution and revenge is called for by our society and with due and careful application of our law and systems.

I do not see our society using the death sentence reasonably much at all as I consider only crimes of an Osana Bin Laden nature to be worthy of that societal revenge and retribution.  In addition, I take so seriously the state having the power to mete out an irrevocable punishment, that is cheaper to deny someone their freedom for life than it is to run through having the necessary safeguards so the government does not take the life of a citizen who is not guilty.

I go through this only to provide a contrast between the level of disdain i think a true criminal deserves and TO deserves.  TO's behavior has lapsed from the passingly amusing to the grossly unfortunate, but it is completely out of proportion to equate him to anyone who deserves to die for his sad stupidity.

788348[/snapback]

Do you think we can get him for a 7th?

P.S. :w00t::D

I think the whole thing is a crock. This is based on a police report that claims when Owens was asked, "Were you trying to harm yourself?" he reportedly said, "Yes."

Think about that.

That is the obvious, true, and correct answer to that same question for each of the last 10,000 actions that T.O. has taken.