The Difference This Year

Frez

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't think that maybe Melvin Fowler, Tuten Reyes and Larry Triplett are making a difference?

Or that the additional experience of Losman, JPeters and TimAnderson are making a difference?

I agree that the Bills definitely needed to switch out both coordinators and that the new guys are upgrades. But the health of the OLine, the addition of several palyers and the maturation of several others is as big a factor as anything else so far, imo.

Cya

You don't think that maybe Melvin Fowler, Tuten Reyes and Larry Triplett are making a difference?

Or that the additional experience  of Losman, JPeters and TimAnderson are making a difference?

I agree that the Bills definitely needed to switch out both coordinators and that the new guys are upgrades. But the health of the OLine, the addition of several palyers and the maturation of several others is as big a factor as anything else so far, imo.

Cya

779076[/snapback]

Damn, I knew you couldn't leave this one alone. Simon sez it aint the coach. We get it.

It is the coaching.

Did anyone notice the halftime adjustments? They worked. When during the Meathead era could you honestly say that?

Just one example was the way Keith Ellison was used in the second half, which was very different than the way he was in the first half, and it worked very well.

Or that the additional experience  of Losman, JPeters and TimAnderson are making a difference?

Cya

779076[/snapback]

Malarkey was a horrible head coach. He beat this team down to nothing by the time he left here. You can defend him all you like, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a better team with him gone.

Cya

779076[/snapback]

As always ( :pirate: ), it is a bit of both....The new mgmt, new coaches, new players, new schemes all have brought in a refreshing atmoshphere at OBD.

It's many things, INCLUDING the HC.  Maybe in his next go-around Mularkey will be better.

779097[/snapback]

In his next go-around, Mularkey will be washing cars in the NFL excutive parking lot. That's as close to the NFL he'll be after he washes out in Miami.

It's obviously players too, but there isn't much doubt that it's the coaches allwoing them to succeed. You play 5 rookies in last years system and they would have been lit up. This staff has been playing them to their strengths and minimizing the chances to exploit their weaknesses.

It's obviously players too, but there isn't much doubt that it's the coaches allwoing them to succeed. You play 5 rookies in last years system and they would have been lit up. This staff has been playing them to their strengths and minimizing the chances to exploit their weaknesses.

779191[/snapback]

I wasn't crazy about MM because of all the trick plays. I DID like when he put (or tried to) a washed up, whining Moulds in his place.

In his defense, I think that MM was but a puppet for TD and his ego, and was saddled with poor coordinators.

I have a feeling that the biggest difference maker in terms of coaching will probably be Fewell. From what little I have seen, I am crazy about this guy. Against the phish, he sent Schobel into coverage a ton of times, yet Denney and Kelsay combined for 5 sacks! THAT is impressive. Also, the announcers kept saying that Denney was in position to catch that interception if Crowell wasn't there.

Do you remember Gray, and his formations in which Schobel was so wide he was practically in the stands? Gray seemed like a great guy, but was over his head imo.

Fewell otoh hit the ground running, and as you say.....with rookies.

I wasn't crazy about MM because of all the trick plays. I DID like when he put (or tried to) a washed up, whining Moulds in his place.

In his defense, I think that MM was but a puppet for TD and his ego, and was saddled with poor coordinators.

I have a feeling that the biggest difference maker in terms of coaching will probably be Fewell. From what little I have seen, I am crazy about this guy. Against the phish, he sent Schobel into coverage a ton of times, yet Denney and Kelsay combined for 5 sacks! THAT is impressive. Also, the announcers kept saying that Denney was in position to catch that interception if Crowell wasn't there.

Do you remember Gray, and his formations in which Schobel was so wide he was practically in the stands? Gray seemed like a great guy, but was over his head imo.

779212[/snapback]

Interestingly, they actually play the D-line with a WIDER stance this year than they did last season. And the ends seem to take an "angled in" stance.The reasoning behind this is likely to take advantage of the quickness of out lighter, athletic D-linemen playing on the edges of OT's and allowing more room for stunts.

Cya

779076[/snapback]

This is silly, Mularkey would have never submitted his offensive philosophy to an OC. To think that he could have hired Fairchild with the same results and scheme is a big stretch. Also, I really believe that JP needs a coaching staff with the demeanor led by Jauron. He needs that calming influence that he would have never gotten from MM. MM was to far up on the good plays and down on the bad. That does no good with someone as firey as JP.

Ultimately MM is accountable for the staff that you said he needed to replace. No gaurentees that his second choices would have been any better than the first.

779212[/snapback]

Coverage sacks.

Culledpepper had some time, but couldn't find a Rec., SACK. :pirate:

It is the coaching.

Did anyone notice the halftime adjustments? They worked. When during the Meathead era could you honestly say that?

Just one example was the way Keith Ellison was used in the second half, which was very different than the way he was in the first half, and it worked very well.

779099[/snapback]

The first year of the Meathead era the Bills allowed 12 points in the third quarter TOTAL. They were the best in the league at it. Not one TD in 16 games.

I see more discipline on the team now (so far) than I have seen for many years. That makes a difference.

Also improvements in acquiring athletic lienmen have helped.

Jp is starting to "get it"

779131[/snapback]

The disipline aspect of this team has greatly improved. The false starts seem to have dropped off a considerable amount from a year ago. The players seem to be getting back that "winning swagger" that has been lacking for the last 3+ years. Also, I kept waitng to the OC to divert away from his gameplan.... And, I guess I'm just so used to Clements and Mularkey calling plays like it's Madden, I was waitng to see a triple reverse moon dog flea flicker. But, that didn't happen and they let JP manage the game, which was a good call.

On both sides of the ball the players are talking about a simplified game plan, and focusing on perfecting fewer schemes and plays as opposed to being decent at a huge playbook. This staff is just letting the guys go out there and play, and when you react you play much faster than when you need to think about things