How do you think Miami feels right now?

H2o

Yesterday was a prime example of why I was doing cartwheels when he resigned. He has got to be the most over-hyped offensive co-ordinator I've ever heard of next to Norv Turner. I think him and Norv are side-by-side for "who's the most overrated" offensive mind.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kept hearing all last week about how Miami has the premier coaching staff in the league, with the great coordinators of Mularky and Capers being led by the wunderkind Saben. I wonder how much, if at all, the media's perception of these guys has changed.

I kept hearing all last week about how Miami has the premier coaching staff in the league, with the great coordinators of Mularky and Capers being led by the wunderkind Saben.  I wonder how much, if at all, the media's perception of these guys has changed.

777843[/snapback]

Well according to the miami fan who just called sirius radio he doesn't thinkk they'll win a game this year with the pepper and he made very good points.......

I like Jeff Fisher's chance's this week at least he can coach!!!!

Come-on Tenn. finish off the Dolphins!!!!!!!

Yesterday was a prime example of why I was doing cartwheels when he resigned. He has got to be the most over-hyped offensive co-ordinator I've ever heard of next to Norv Turner. I think him and Norv are side-by-side for "who's the most overrated" offensive mind.

777837[/snapback]

I think Mularkey cannot even hold a candle in front of Norv Turner. Norv

Turner as a offensive coordinator has had tremendous success...As a head

coach he has sucked.....

Look at the job he is doing in SF.. ...He has imrpoved the play of both

Frank Gore and Alex Smith. The last time I checked this years HoF

speech, one Mr. Aikman called him as his big brother that he never had.

777837[/snapback]

That's an insult to Norv Turner.

I think all this infantile bashing of Mularkey is ill-informed and embarassing.

The problem with the phish offense isn't Mularkey; anybody who's been paying a modicum of attention to miami realizes that the problem with the phish offense is the same problem as it's been for years now. Their offensive line is absolutely putrid and will be the primary reason they're no better than .500.

There's not an offensive co-ordinator on this planet that could be succesful with garbage like LJ Shelton, Bennie Anderson and Jeno James. But y'all feel free to continue making yourself look like mindless parrots.

There's not an offensive co-ordinator on this planet that could be succesful with garbage like LJ Shelton, Bennie Anderson and Jeno James. But y'all feel free to continue making yourself look like mindless parrots.

778056[/snapback]

Hey... is that the same LJ Shelton the Bills were so stupid for not signing? :doh:

The problem with the phish offense isn't Mularkey; anybody who's been paying a modicum of attention to miami realizes that the problem with the phish offense is the same problem as it's been for years now. Their offensive line is absolutely putrid and will be the primary reason they're no better than .500.

778056[/snapback]

i don't disagree. however, how did they end up with anderson, who was by all accounts pretty terrible last year? was there no one else? not even a rookie? it may be the case that mularkey, who favors "road graders," has a fatal weakness for the fat guys ...

778056[/snapback]

Embarrassing to whom? So you're saying that if an OL is questionable, the OC's job is to call plays that almost certainly won't work? Might it have been reasonable for MM to call some draw plays or screens to offset the Bills' rush, and continue to pound the running game to attack a known weakness in the Bills' defense?

Come to think of it, you're right. Mularkey should be embarrassed.

Hey... is that the same LJ Shelton the Bills were so stupid for not signing?

And the same Bennie Anderson they were stupid for signing!

how did they end up with anderson, who was by all accounts pretty terrible last year? was there no one else? not even a rookie? it may be the case that mularkey, who favors "road graders," has a fatal weakness for the fat guys ...

Are you seriously suggesting that Nick Saban gave his first year O-coordinator some say in his personell decision-making?!

I don't think so.

So you're saying that if an OL is questionable, the OC's job is to call plays that almost certainly won't work? Might it have been reasonable for MM to call some draw plays or screens to offset the Bills' rush, and continue to pound the running game to attack a known weakness in the Bills' defense?

I didn't say their OLine was questionable, I said it was PUTRID. No co-ordinator could be succesful with that OLine. And the phish did call draws(with some occasional success) and they did call screens (the first one they tried quickly turned into a Culpepper fumble at his own 10), but the point remains that miami can't block worth a shlt and there is no call to overcome that deficiency

And even though the phish spent most of the game playing from behind, Mularkey still called a very balanced game until there were 5:00 minutes left and they were down 16. But don't let reality get in the way of some repetitive squawking.

Brrrawwwk...Mularkey is stupid....Brawwwwk

And the same Bennie Anderson they were stupid for signing!

Are you seriously suggesting that Nick Saban gave his first year O-coordinator some say in his personell decision-making?!

I don't think so.

I didn't say their OLine was questionable, I said it was PUTRID. No co-ordinator could be succesful with that OLine. And the phish did call draws(with some occasional success) and they did call screens (the first one they tried quickly turned into a Culpepper fumble at his own 10), but the point remains that miami can't block worth a shlt and there is no call to overcome that deficiency

And even though the phish spent most of the game playing from behind, Mularkey still called a very balanced game until there were 5:00 minutes left and they were down 16. But don't let reality get in the way of some repetitive squawking.

Brrrawwwk...Mularkey is stupid....Brawwwwk

778100[/snapback]

Still, the Fish players have been quoted over and over that the gameplan they used was NOT the gameplan they practiced. That sir, is vintage Mularkey.

Still, the Fish players have been quoted over and over that the gameplan they used was NOT the gameplan they practiced. That sir, is vintage Mularkey.

Haven't seen that one. I wouldn't be surprised if they had gameplanned a bunch of screens and Mularkey got spooked when the first one they ran blew up in their faces(Triplett got in Culpepper's face forcing a fumble when Schobel read it fast and grabbed RBrown's jersey and held him up :doh:). Although if that's the case I have to wonder why they'd think they could run screens efficiently with that ridiculous OLine.

Personally I think the guy is more fu(ked than he was last year. There's just very little he can run with that trash he has to work with up front. Not to mention his QB can't hit the broad side of a barn and has apparently lost any field vision he may have once had.

Cya

Haven't seen that one. I wouldn't be surprised if they had gameplanned a bunch of screens and Mularkey got spooked when the first one they ran blew up in their faces

778125[/snapback]

Yeah, kinda like giving up on the run when the first 5-6 don't gain enough yards (not to mention blaming the RB). That's what I want in my HC or OC. Preach/practice one thing, do another.

Embarrassing to whom?  So you're saying that if an OL is questionable, the OC's job is to call plays that almost certainly won't work?  Might it have been reasonable for MM to call some draw plays or screens to offset the Bills' rush, and continue to pound the running game to attack a known weakness in the Bills' defense?

Come to think of it, you're right.  Mularkey should be embarrassed.

778074[/snapback]

I have to generally agree with Simon on this one (I do not find the posts embarassing as nothing anyone does on the internet is embarassing to me) but the analysis is pretty facile looking to site Mularkey as the cause of the Miami problems.

I tink an objective football look at their amusingly inept game indicates that while MM deserves his share of the blame as the buck clearly passes through his hands before it stops at Nick Saban's desk. He is not the cause of the Fins probs in a major way. If one wants to indict him, it is legit to do so because he has not participated in getting the right players, and he has not shown good OC ability in dealing with these limitations. However, to try to claim that the Fins big problem is MM and if they started with replacing him, they would be well on their way to solving their problems is incorrect IMHO.

Like any other human being, MM brings strenghts and weaknesses to the job. Folks indictments that he is an offensive stiff seem quite counter to both the results he has produced as an OC with Pitts which got him the Bills HC job, a continually proven ability to oversee the building of an O which allows a seemingly washed up QB to revive his career, and actually a strong commitment to sticking with whst he thinks will work even in the face of poor intial results.

Real world demonstrations of MM strengths IMHO are:

1. A good record with overseeing productive Pitts offenses with him as OC.

2. A proven record of reviving the careers of Kordell, Maddox and Bledsoe under his guidance.

3. With the Bills after a 1-4 start in 2004 he stuck with his approach and as things turned around it produced the winning streak and eventually a winning record (still though inadequate but much better as they failed to make the playoffs) of 9-7.

I'm not making this stuff up, these are simply facts. I would think anyone who wants to savage MM, in order not to be simply laughed at as just another internet whiner would need to produce some real objectives facts as to why this reality is not important and should be ignored.

Again all that being said, MM does have some clear weaknesses IMHO:

1. I have a general sense of him being a good OC in Pitts, but this is more what the buzz was and is not based on the teams actual record of Ws or a statistical showing by the O if the record was bad for other reasons. He sure looked good superficially but it would take a more detailed analysis of the O results to his having problems here. Clearly under his guidance though he was a difficult opppent in terms of Pitts offense when we faced them, I do not have any sense of them being a team which repetitively went deep in the playoffs.

2. He proved good results with older QBs, but he sucked overseeing the development of JP and has shown no accomplishment in overseeing this facet of the game. This actually is a good reason why he may fit in Miami as the task here is not to develop a JP or RoboQB type, but to try to revive the careers of either Culpepper or Harrington.

3. He did motivate the Bills to better performance in 04 and I think he deserves credit for sticking to his approach. However, I think this motivation came through fear after the cut of Bobby Shaw (a nice guy who was not a cancer, but we needed a roster spot so even though he was vested for the season and saved us no money, he got cut wich I think made every player realize they better contribute or they might be gone. Fear does work, but only for a short time and rarely when you need the players to suck together to meet problems. The next year, TD forced the JP training situation on the team and ratber than pulling together as a TEAM (which NE did in 04 after BB bollickes the Milloy contract negotiations and after some sudden serious injuries), the Bills simply dissolved as TKO got hurt.

MM was the HC and the on field buck stopped with him so he simply needed to make it work.

On Sunday, I think the Miami problems were:

A. Culpepper simply sucked- Plays like him dropping the ball on his first sack which set the tone for the day and the INT pass to Crowell with no Fins in sight were all on Culpepper. maybe you want to blame MM for getting him, but it is a reasonable thing to do given his success reviving the career of a scrambling QB like Kordell and also different types like Maddix and Bledsie. I think MM may need to force a move and try to revive Harrington's career rather than Culpepper's. However, i think it is still too early to panic and make this move.

B. The OL simply sucked- As Simon pointed out they need to do a simply adequate job to escape blame. Folks are right that the OC works with what he has and its MM fault for taking these idipts (particularly Anderson) and relying on them. yet with Clements working under him they got a good a good offensive performance out of a medicore (at bes) Bills OL with Bledsoe QBing them, The way they used Bledsoe's limited running ability to occaisionally call QB draws which reduced the blitz as LBs had to mind the center of the field and utilized the WM stiff arm by going wide was well schemed use of the field that dealt with the OL and !QB limitations.

C. Chambers is brilliant but undisciplined- If you are going to throw a pass in just the right spot to fit between the DBs and the WR needs to go horizontal to make the catch, you cannot do better than having Chambers as your WR as we saw on their TD yesterday. However, if this TD is nothing more than a last whimper because your QB has already inexplicably lost the ball and also thrown an INT and your OL has given up 7 sacks. It makes no difference to have a brilliant but undisciplined go to guy at WR.

I think they need more disciiplined route running to be effective.

I for one am glad MM is gone as I think we needed to move on. Hopwever, I think good analysis takes you to this point and the finger pointing at MM is at best facile.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mularkey got spooked

778125[/snapback]

By George, you've finally captured the essence of the man we affectionately dub Meathead. No fortitude. No sticking with a gameplan. No adjustments. Just panic when everything doesn't work perfectly.

the analysis is pretty facile looking to site Mularkey as the cause of the Miami problems.

Enough with your reality; squawk....he's a Meathead.....squawk!

If you're looking for objective numbers re: Mularkey's years in P'burgh check ut NFL.com.

2 of his 3 years as O-coordinator, teh Stillers finished in the Top5 in total offense.