Anthony Thomas = Croneyism?

MrLocke

When I saw that Aaron Gibson was cut a few weeks ago I thought to myself, good this regime is not like the old one in that they want the best players and not their friends.

I think the charge of croneyism against TD was justified based on his record and the number of people he brought into the organization with Pittsburgh ties. Mularkey, Richard Huntely, Kris Farris and Tom Modrak.

I am wondering if anyone thinks that keeping Anthony Thomas over Lionel Gates was a case of croneyism? Thomas was great his rookie season, but hasn't done much in the league since. Gates averaged 2.7 yards per carry in the preseason and Thomas only 2.1. I know neither average is impressive, but I defienetly thought Gates was better in the preseason. I should add I never made it to training camp, but did see a fair amount of Bills coverage on the NFL network.

So is keeping the A-Train a case of croneyism?

Nobody complained when Chuck Knox brought in just about every ex-Ram he could get to come to Buffalo and turned the team around. So Jauron kept a guy who performed for him in the past in favor of a guy who never played a regular season game and the best he could do was land on TB's practice squad, when 3 other guys were claimed off waivers. I give Jauron the benefit of the doubt on this one.

What team does Lionel Gates play for now?

I'll bet they're crazy happy to have signed him the second The Bills cut him.

No doubt that new team is headed straight to The SuperBowl this year.

Was it an AFC East team? An AFC team then?

Somebody did pick him up didn't they?

I mean, they HAD to. After all, he's Lionel Gates! AND The Bills cut him!

It has been suggested that Thomas was retained over Gates for his all-around play. Thomas is a better receiver and accomplished blocker. With our offensive line still trying to mesh, a runner who could also help protect the QB is very valuable. With Gates in the lineup there is less predictability, since the expectation would be a run. With Thomas it could be anything.

When I saw that Aaron Gibson was cut a few weeks ago I thought to myself, good this regime is not like the old one in that they want the best players and not their friends.

I think the charge of croneyism against TD was justified based on his record and the number of people he brought into the organization with Pittsburgh ties. Mularkey, Richard Huntely, Kris Farris and Tom Modrak.

I am wondering if anyone thinks that keeping Anthony Thomas over Lionel Gates was a case of croneyism? Thomas was great his rookie season, but hasn't done much in the league since. Gates averaged 2.7 yards per carry in the preseason and Thomas only 2.1. I know neither average is impressive, but I defienetly thought Gates was better in the preseason. I should add I never made it to training camp, but did see a fair amount of Bills coverage on the NFL network.

So is keeping the A-Train a case of croneyism?

761872[/snapback]

Thomas a proven NFL veteran and is easily the better player. Preseason stats mean nothing. Gates cannot block and he has hands of stone. He had ZERO touches last year with only Shaud Williams ahead of him on the depth chart.

Jauron is comfortable with A-Train and their good relationship could coax another good season out of him. So what is wrong with that? It is not like he cut a future starter to keep a friend. Gates is a 3rd stringer with limited skills.

Bills August history is replete with Ken Simontons, Yonel Jourdains, and Jacques Robinsons. Too bad that Canton history isn't replete with those guys. What was Jauron thinking?

Maybe he should put in a call to see if Bobby Humphrey is available.

Maybe he should put in a call to see if Bobby Humphrey is available.

761943[/snapback]

Bad example. :( Bobby Humphrey was just like Anthony Thomas, almost identical in fact. 1151 yards in his rookie year when he was (AFC Offensive) Rookie of the Year, 1200 another year, out injured for a couple years, and then trying to resurrect his career with the Bills in pre-season.

I know neither average is impressive...

761872[/snapback]

So why worry about it...one guy's a dollar, the other's a buck.

In terms of a coin flip, you go with the guy who's battle tested rather than the one that's looked good running around in his underware all summer.

I liked what I saw out of Gates. But Lionel Gates was not even a starter in college. He was a seventh round draft pick. The Bills brass last year decided that Shaud Williams was a better player and kept him at #2. This year in pre-season he played erratic, showing flashes. He made two spectacular runs, which totaled eight yards. He made some glaring errors, too, like one time trying to bounce it outside instead of getting the needed first down that was right in front of him. No other team signed him to their 53-man roster. So it's not as though this was a sure thing or any better than Anthony Thomas.

I was surprised by the speed Thomas showed. He broke some tackles and dispalyed some toughness and power, as well as an ability to turn the corner. It was a pretty much a toss-up between the two.

The thing is, if they both play up to their potential, Thomas is probably the better player. If Willis goes down, Thomas is probably the more reliable player. Gates may turn out to be a great player, as evidenced by his two great if short TD runs in the pre-season. But this was no no-brainer.