Calling all Holcomb BASHERS...

Little bit o accurate wisdom from Buckeye Mike..

Having seen Kelly Holcomb in action, let me tell you this:

Be careful what you wish for. Holcomb's a solid backup who can come off the bench and spark a team. But he's not a good starting quarterback.

Since the Browns now have Josh McCown as a starter, expect them to trade for Trent Dilfer, who played for GM Phil Savage in Baltimore...and won a Super Bowl. He won't do that in Cleveland, but he should improve the situation.

Mike

I still feel pretty much the same way about the signing as I did then. It was a good one, as long as the Bills didn't try to pass him off as being anything more than a backup or spot starter should Losman turn out to be a flop.

The one thing I didn't forsee happening was that he'd go into decline as quickly as he seems to have.

I still maintain the 2006 Buffalo Bills would win more games with KH behind center. So, if Marv stays true to his word, then he'd be the QB. I'm well aware of the argument about JP's development, but do all of you actually believe he is more likely to get us in a wildcard position than KH? I haven't seen the pre-season games, but based on last season it was no contest.

I still feel pretty much the same way about the signing as I did then.  It was a good one,  as long as the Bills didn't try to pass him off as being anything more than a backup or spot starter should Losman turn out to be a flop. 

750397[/snapback]

This is exactly what i thought. I could never get over the fact he played behind tim couch for a few years and when he finaly did beat him out, the browns were awful that year. spot starter not great on 4 th and 8 but decent backup

I still maintain the 2006 Buffalo Bills would win more games with KH behind center.  So, if Marv stays true to his word, then he'd be the QB.  I'm well aware of the argument about JP's development, but do all of you actually believe he is more likely to get us in a wildcard position than KH?  I haven't seen the pre-season games, but based on last season it was no contest.

750624[/snapback]

Its a much different offense this year so you can't really compare how holcomb played last season with how he is performing this year. He has looked real shaky and his inability to hit the longer throws stifles the offense. Also, being in a different system than he had been in for his whole career, he is struggling at times to make the correct read. His decision making is not what you'd expect from a guy who has been in the league for 9 or 10 years

I really hate when people bring up these old threads so I can see how stupid I really am....

750387[/snapback]

Believe me John, go back far enough on anyone and you will find plenty of stupidity. Even the dude who posted this thread.

The reason so many people were high on the Holcomb pickup was because (1) he was off the radar in terms of a possibility, so we were pleasantly surprised and (2) he was better than Shane Matthews.

The truth is, bumping this thread is bullschitt in terms of trying to prove how wrong people were because everyone was under the impression that Meathead brought Holcomb in to be a backup. If that were the case, then more people would be right than wrong in that thread. Where it falls apart is that Meathead thought Holcomb could help save his job. That wasn't the spirit of that thread's discussion, which is why...again...bumping the thread was bullschitt if the idea was to prove everyone wrong for the sake of a laugh. Many of the people who thought it was a good idea, I'm certain, also felt it was a BAD idea to start Holcomb after four games last year.

The truth is, bumping this thread is bullschitt in terms of trying to prove how wrong people were because everyone was under the impression that Meathead brought Holcomb in to be a backup.

750666[/snapback]

Not that I haven't been wrong plenty of times but I didn't like the Holcomb signing to begin with. It had nothing to do with him sucking and everything to do with JP looking over his shoulder. I knew the first time JP struggled the fans and media would be clammoring for Holcomb to play. That's no way to bring along a young QB. I did post this thought in a thread at one point though apparently it wasn't the one linked.

Hind-sight is always 20/20.

But the Kelly Holcomb we got wasn't the same Kelly Holcomb from Cleveland. We thought we were getting a guy who was a starting QB. A guy that posted 26 of 43 for 429 yards (?!) and 3 TD's in a wild-card game vs. the Steelers in 2002. A gun-slinger.

What we got was some sort of freakish, broken down backup who can't throw a ball over 10 yards.

There's only one way to explain it...the air must be lighter in Cleveland. It's actually quite simple.

[((x1 + x2)/2), ((y1 + y2)/2)] Whereas Distance/Velocity/Air Density

Collides with the Holcombs Arm is Schitt Theory (Seen Below)

x1 + x2 -4 + 3 -1 1

x = ------- = ------ = -- = - -

2 2 2 2

y1 + y2 6 + (-8) -2

y = ------- = -------- = -- = -1

2 2 2

Divided by the Holcomb is gutless Theory

d = SQRT[102 + (-4)2]

= 3 Yard out on 4th & Long

But the Kelly Holcomb we got wasn't the same Kelly Holcomb from Cleveland. We thought we were getting a guy who was a starting QB. A guy that posted 26 of 43 for 429 yards (?!) and 3 TD's in a wild-card game vs. the Steelers in 2002. A gun-slinger.

What we got was some sort of freakish, broken down backup who can't throw a ball over 10 yards.

750695[/snapback]

Who ever thought Holcomb was a gunslinger? You do realize that the game you mentioned was 1 of 2 games in his ENTIRE 10 YEAR CAREER where he put up those kind of numbers. 1 game worth of stats doesnt define a career. What about the other 20 or so games started where he didnt put up squat for numbers?

We thoguht we were getting a solid backup QB. And thats what holcomb was at the time.

750695[/snapback]

See most stupidity being posted.

... If you read the thread, what most people thought they were getting was a backup QB in case JP decided to scrable and got his other leg broken. Or you can just keep on not reading things, it might get you far in life. I still think he would be an OK backup, but since we have Nall (or JP) why do we need two backups?

Looking at the thread, almost all folks saw him as a good back-up and never thought of him as a starter, This seems about right as folks in particular emphasized how he would be in a Clements scheme rather than the Fairchild scheme.

If one does not see a marked difference in KH's performance last year when the assessments in this thread were done and this year with KH trying to run the Faircchild scheme then ask yourself if you think that a KH led team would even 8 wins. I do not think he would.

Either KH has suddenly hit the wall in the quality of his play or there is something about the Fairchild scheme which KH does not get. It does not seem that the problem can be found with blaming his teammates because clearly JP and Nall are more productive with our scheme than KH.

Scheme matters in terms of both design or implementation and folks just simply saying Holcomb sucks are right but really say nothing important in terms of why.