Interview with JP

When I saw him at camp he dropped an F-Bomb loud enough for everyone in the stands to hear as well as a few Dammits.  That by itself would be fine - but it was his reaction afterward - hanging his head and screaming at himself that really bothered me.  I found myself just *hoping* that he would stop it - the first thing I thought to myself was that was not behavior that inspires confidence/leadership.  To be honest - I was thinking there must be guys thinking "Just shut up and run the next play".  It was not just an isolated incident - in general I just wished after a mistake or not perfect pass he would just line back up and show confidence in making the next play.

I do not buy into the theory that it doesn't matter how a player behaves or is respected - especially at QB.  I do think one of JPs major things to overcome is maturity.

738106[/snapback]

Kind of the opposite of the "never let 'em see you sweat" attitude.

Oh, you mean like Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed... Face it, the majority of the true stars on the great Bills teams were punk, whiny azzholes. And we all loved them.

738114[/snapback]

Your are right there, some of the best players we ever had were surly SOB's, especially when they lost. They hated, hated, hated losing so much. Not a bad way to go I guess.

I think it was John Gruden who said "...potential will get you fired in the NFL..."

He is a young QB, he is not a rookie.  This is his third year in the NFL.  Potential alone will only get you so many opportunities in this league.  As Don Rumsfeld would say:  Patience? yes.  Blank check to play poorly? No.  Need to go the pro bowl? No.  Need to improve 31% red zone completion rate? Yes. :angry:

738039[/snapback]

Exactly, Gruden was patient with Chris Simms. Simms until the last 4-5 games

of the season stunk up the joint and could have even been let go....But Gruden

stuck with him and it has paid off.....

All i know is this is JP's third season and if he's going to be a great QB..or even above average, he has to have some good games this year. I'll never forget being at last years New England game in Buffalo. That was the single worst QB performance by a player I've ever seen. Even when JP had time he stunk. That was on a day when Brady was like 28 out of 33 or something ridiculous for 300+ yds?!?

Even 3rd year QB's who have zero talent show some future greatness by their 3rd year. And the Bills have some very good talent on offense.

I'll never forget being at last years New England game in Buffalo. That was the single worst QB performance by a player I've ever seen.  Even when JP had time he stunk.

738325[/snapback]

Apparently you never saw this little GEM by ryan leaf against KC back in 1998.

Ryan Leaf: 1 completion, 15 attempts, 4 yds, 0 TD, 2 INT, 3 fumbles.

Apparently you never saw this little GEM by ryan leaf against KC back in 1998.

Ryan Leaf: 1 completion, 15 attempts, 4 yds, 0 TD, 2 INT, 3 fumbles.

738413[/snapback]

I don't think it was even the worst performance by a Bills QB in the last couple of years. Look at this stat line from week 10 in 2004 for Drew Bledsoe: 8 of 19 for 76 yards and 3 INTS.

JP was terrible at times last year, but he never quite reached that level of ineptitude.

You know, I just watched this interview and I'm surprised no one took the time to talk about the immensely excessive use of speculation in the original post.

I'm not sure how anyone could go from watching that interview to...

"...according to JP himself, (Fairchild) is jumping over him for every little error and focusing on these mistales apparently to the point where Losman is so focused on getting the little things right that he doesn't have time to assess his overall performance.

Or even ... "He did not express ANGER at Fairchild but .....dare I say it.....concern (fear?) over getting tongue-whipped by Steve if he expressed any displeasure.

Where was it apparent that this was happening to the point where Losman is too focused on getting the little things right?

Where was there even a hint of "concern (fear) over getting tongue-whipped?"

The dude just answers some questions.

Maybe it's me. Maybe my spideysense doesn't tingle and pick up these secret nuances, but unfortunately this is just the kind of stuff that ultimately makes a player look at his fans, shake his head and mumble something about playing where fans don't read into things so dramatically inaccurate.

I'm surprised, honestly, because the thread-creater has generally been more grounded.

You know, I just watched this interview and I'm surprised no one took the time to talk about the immensely excessive use of speculation in the original post.

I'm not sure how anyone could go from watching that interview to...

"...according to JP himself, (Fairchild) is jumping over him for every little error and focusing on these mistales apparently to the point where Losman is so focused on getting the little things right that he doesn't have time to assess his overall performance.

Or even ... "He did not express ANGER at Fairchild but .....dare I say it.....concern (fear?) over getting tongue-whipped by Steve if he expressed any displeasure.

Where was it apparent that this was happening to the point where Losman is too focused on getting the little things right?

Where was there even a hint of "concern (fear) over getting tongue-whipped?"

The dude just answers some questions.

Maybe it's me. Maybe my spideysense doesn't tingle and pick up these secret nuances, but unfortunately this is just the kind of stuff that ultimately makes a player look at his fans, shake his head and mumble something about playing where fans don't read into things so dramatically inaccurate.

I'm surprised, honestly, because the thread-creater has generally been more grounded.

739013[/snapback]

Obviously, LA, I was speculating - did I state any of my conjectures as being fact? Perhaps if we were talking over a couple of beers I would have more - in your opinion - adequately expressed myself. To rephrase - I find JP's interviews odd, not standard,etc insert your own term. This "dude" did not simply answer the questions as you put it. Now, you admitted you (perhaps) don't have the same "observing senses" - that is a backhanded compliment to say the least. Not to mention you state my conjecture is "dramatically inaccurate" Oh really? Now WHO is assuming things not in evidence? If you don't perceive things the same as others..that's fine but it is possible, you know, that others see things you don't. Again, that doesn;t mean I have pegged this interview correctly and you may be totally correct. My point(s) were that his interview and interviews are atypical and that this particular interview was "guarded" (not unusual in and of itself) and SEEMED to suggest a very stern approach from Fairchild quite different from what JP had last year. I brought it up in my thread since I found the approach (if true) interesting TO ME. I pointed out how little experience I had as a Bills fan to following the growth (or lack thereof) of a rookie QB.

If I offended you, I apologize but I felt your comments deserved a response.

-RnJ

Obviously, LA, I was speculating - did I state any of my conjectures as being fact? Perhaps if we were talking over a couple of beers I would have more - in your opinion - adequately expressed myself. To rephrase - I find JP's interviews odd, not standard,etc  insert your own term. This "dude" did not simply answer the questions as you put it. Now, you admitted you (perhaps) don't have the same "observing senses" - that is a backhanded compliment to say the least. Not to mention you state my conjecture is "dramatically inaccurate" Oh really? Now WHO is assuming things not in evidence? If you don't perceive things the same as others..that's fine but it is possible, you know, that others see things you don't. Again, that doesn;t mean I have pegged this interview correctly and you may be totally correct. My point(s) were that his interview and interviews are atypical and that this particular interview was "guarded" (not  unusual in and of itself) and SEEMED to suggest a very stern approach from Fairchild quite different from what JP had last year. I brought it up in my thread since I found the approach (if true) interesting TO ME. I pointed out how little experience I had as a Bills fan to following the growth (or lack thereof) of a rookie QB.

If I offended you, I apologize but I felt your comments deserved a response.

-RnJ

739034[/snapback]

There was absolutely no offense taken. I was just surprised the speculation was so deep based on what I perceived as a very, very, very basic interview. In fact, he seemed more "on book" than I expected.

Case in point:

Q: Tell me about you and Holcomb.

A: I beat him at ping pong.

How many times have players answered a similar question with "I kick his butt in Madden" or whatever. It's textbook diversion.

Likewise, the guarded part seemed more like a guy who, in addition to a new coaching staff, center, line, receiving corp and offensive scheme, had about ten minutes to study the answers for the obvious ESPN questions.

Which was really my point: this so obviously seemed like a throwaway interview that I felt you had to work excessively hard to make anything out of it.

Nothing personal, dude. You're a great poster. This one just miffed me a bit. I miff people all the time because I'm bitter. <_<

There was absolutely no offense taken. I was just surprised the speculation was so deep based on what I perceived as a very, very, very basic interview. In fact, he seemed more "on book" than I expected.

C

Likewise, the guarded part seemed more like a guy who, in addition to a new coaching staff, center, line, receiving corp and offensive scheme,  had about ten minutes to study the answers for the obvious ESPN questions.

Which was really my point: this so obviously seemed like a throwaway interview that I felt you had to work excessively hard to make anything out of it.

Nothing personal, dude. You're a great poster. This one just miffed me a bit. I miff people all the time because I'm bitter. ;)

739069[/snapback]

Ha! I didn't work THAT hard to make something out of this :lol:

I would like to hear, however, from folks attending the practices if fairchild is SCREAMING at the QB's and how that compares to last year. My IMPRESSION is that something has changed.

I remember a line from PATTON

"They'll lose their fear of the Germans. God help them if they ever lose their fear of me!"

perhaps fairchild has een the movie? <_<

Look at this stat line from week 10 in 2004 for Drew Bledsoe: 8 of 19 for 76 yards and 3 INTS.

Ahhh yes, my 29th B-Day. My wife bought tix to the game in Baltimore as a birthday present and we drove down. Our D was incredible that day, we held the Ravens to something like 120 total yards, with about 40 of them coming on 1 deep throw by Boller, over Milloy if I remember right.

Of Bledsoe's 3 ints, 1 was in the end zone (on a really stupid, complicated Mularkey play that involved multiple pump fakes to each side of the field, the cheerleaders and the fans), the second was returned for a TD by Deion (on a really stupid, complicated Mularkey play that involved multiple pump fakes to each side of the field, the cheerleaders and the fans).

We lost 20-3.

Ahhh yes, my 29th B-Day.  My wife bought tix to the game in Baltimore as a birthday present and we drove down.  Our D was incredible that day, we held the Ravens to something like 120 total yards, with about 40 of them coming on 1 deep throw by Boller, over Milloy if I remember right.

Of Bledsoe's 3 ints, 1 was in the end zone (on a really stupid, complicated Mularkey play that involved multiple pump fakes to each side of the field, the cheerleaders and the fans), the second was returned for a TD by Burger King (on a really stupid, complicated Mularkey play that involved multiple pump fakes to each side of the field, the cheerleaders and the fans).

We lost 20-3.

739236[/snapback]

There. Corrected.