Posey released

duey

I'm surprised they didn't try to strike a deal with the skins - greggg loves the guy and they need depth at LB bigtime. Maybe they did try, we wouldn't know...but it's too bad that they didn't get anything for him.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just didn't have the gittyup to play in this defense. They must see a little promise in the young guys and want to get them more reps. One thing I can say about the new sheriffs in town, they don't waste a lot of time on some things. I like it. It's also good for Posey to give him a legitimate shot on another team. Great news for Haggin and Ellison.

737246[/snapback]

This is the kind of thing that will build up goodwill between players/agents and the Bills' front office. If Buffalo gets a reputation for treating players the right way, it will pay dividends.

Good luck elsewhere, Posey. We had high hopes for you but it just didn't work out.

Takeo Spikes took his strong side linebacker position and Angelo Crowell moved into the starting lineup on the weak side.

I didn't realize this.

I thought Spikes kept his weak side position and Crowell pushed Posey out of the SLB.

for the backup linebacker position!?!?  Why would they?  They already got tremendous depth at LB!

737243[/snapback]

Tremendous depth? Just because you have bodies doesn't mean you have depth.

We had 4 people with experience starting in the NFL to fill 3 LB positions. One of those 4 is still fairly green. We just cut another of those 4 in the second week of training camp. Typically those types of moves are done early to clear cap room to bring in another FA (not necessarily a LB). Otherwise, why not keep Posey around to be a backup or special teams?

Maybe he showed up to camp out of shape. They didn't draft a LB until Ellison, so it's possible they expected Posey to be at least a backup. Then again, as many here have already said, Posey was given a lot of chances to make plays and never really did anything to distinguish himself (although the previous coaching staff constantly stuck up for him and insisted that we stupid fans could not understand everything that goes into being a good football player, etc.).

This is the kind of thing that will build up goodwill between players/agents and the Bills' front office.  If Buffalo gets a reputation for treating players the right way, it will pay dividends.

737271[/snapback]

I can see it now: "Well, the other team is offering me a million more, but you guys treated Jeff Posey well two year ago, so I'll sign with you"

Tremendous depth? Just because you have bodies doesn't mean you have depth.

We had 4 people with experience starting in the NFL to fill 3 LB positions. One of those 4 is still fairly green. We just cut another of those 4 in the second week of training camp. Typically those types of moves are done early to clear cap room to bring in another FA (not necessarily a LB). Otherwise, why not keep Posey around to be a backup or special teams?

737287[/snapback]

We had 5, now we have 4:

Spikes, Fletcher, Crowell, Watson.

posey was released 3 year too late.

737258[/snapback]

Absolutely - this move was way overdue!

Apparently the new Bills staff watched the game films on this guy. He was absolutely horrendous last year and not much better before that.

The Bills defense just improved.

Another thing this may mean, and IMO it has something to do with it, is that the Bills are certain now that TKO is back. That doesn't at all mean back to full strength, no one knows that yet, but back enough to know that he is going to be the starting SLB on opening day. They likely assumed he would be back but needed to see it and be sure, and as soon as they were, they could now release Posey.

He never lived up to his billing. Anther Donahue failure. I wonder if this is a good sign that Spikes is well on his way back to full recovery, or just a sign of how bad Posey was?

737259[/snapback]

Actually, I think it's a testament to how they feel about our young LB's. From everything I've heard, Ellison is looking pretty good in camp. Also Watson and Crowell seem to fit well with this defense. Spikes is going almost full force with no ill effects for now. Fletcher is just Fletcher, a solid player always. Haggin, decent back-up. LB should be just fine. All of these shows predicted a crappy D for us this year, but I think we'll be in the top 15 of the league. It's our offense that is the big "?".

You mean the guy he drafted and the team developed finally beat out the short term free agent solution he signed is considered a failure?

737320[/snapback]

Well, yes. How many millions did he waste on Posey that could have been used to bolster an OL that's had no help for a decade? Just my opinion, of course.