B'gals re-sign Levi Jones to extension

Ramius

Anyone remember the when he was drafted and all the draftniks were proclaiming he was another bungalled pick. Way to early for him, the Bengals have screwed up the draft again. Yet everytime the Bengals are mentioned on radio or TV, not that they are (Uhhm) contenders, they are talking about this guy in reference to their offensive line.

Just goes to show you that there is hope for Whitner and McCargo to show the experts they are wrong.

That is the first thing I thought of when i saw this signing

With Jones off the market, more $ for Gandy in 2007.

729071[/snapback]

Or the other way to look at it is, since all the teams have locked up their LTs, they will not be wanting to pay big bucks to him....

I hope Gandy plays very well next year and earns a rich contract with the bills...If that happens bills are likely winning...that makes me happy

I would like to take a moment and thank Ramius for setting the tone for the upcoming frenzy of players re-signing with a team.

For the record: it's re-sign, not resign.

Excellent attention to details, Ramius.

729031[/snapback]

And i'd like to take a moment and thankyou for your avatar :lol:

The bad news is that the Bengals are now all but certain to use their Franchise Tag on Steinbach.

As far as I know, Willie Anderson will also be a UFA, but he will be 32 next year. Even at that, the thought of Anderson at RT and Peters at LT is a good one.  :lol:

729159[/snapback]

That would be an unwise move for them, William. The tag would mean paying an average of the top 5 salaries on the offensive line, NOT the top 5 @ guard alone. Considering the deal Jones made (4th highest paid tackle in the NFL now) and the huge deal Hutchinson got from Minnesota, they would make Steinbach ridiculously wealthy by tagging him.

That would be an unwise move for them, William.  The tag would mean paying an average of the top 5 salaries on the offensive line, NOT the top 5 @ guard alone.  Considering the deal Jones made (4th highest paid tackle in the NFL now) and the huge deal Hutchinson got from Minnesota, they would make Steinbach ridiculously wealthy by tagging him.

729167[/snapback]

Agreed.

The way Steinbach will become ridiculously wealthy is by signing with a team that's desperate for his services. (Hopefully not us).

That would be an unwise move for them, William.  The tag would mean paying an average of the top 5 salaries on the offensive line, NOT the top 5 @ guard alone.  Considering the deal Jones made (4th highest paid tackle in the NFL now) and the huge deal Hutchinson got from Minnesota, they would make Steinbach ridiculously wealthy by tagging him.

729167[/snapback]

Considering what Hutchison got, I am sure Steinbach would like a similar deal, which means either way he will be in the top-5 in salary on the OL. THe bengals will have to pay hin a Hutchinson type contract whether they tag or not.

Anyone remember the when he was drafted and all the draftniks were proclaiming he was another bungalled pick. Way to early for him, the Bengals have screwed up the draft again. Yet everytime the Bengals are mentioned on radio or TV,  not that they are (Uhhm) contenders, they are talking about this guy in reference to their offensive line.

Just goes to show you that there is hope for Whitner and McCargo to show the experts they are wrong.

That is the first thing I thought of when i saw this signing

729103[/snapback]

Yes, I remember that very clearly. Jones was thought to be one tier below Fat Mike and McKinnie. He was projected to be a late first rounder. They alll said the Bengals "reached" by picking him were they did. It's now four years later and Jones is clearly the best tackle in that draft, and it is not even close. The clowns on ESPN complained about "value" on that pick. That may have been the first time I heard them really harp on value. Kiper the rest of those guys are entertainers, not scouts.

Of course there is hope for Whitner and McCargo. If they are good players then the picks are good picks. That is all there is to it. There is no realistic metric to measure "value" on the day of the draft because no one can predict the future.