Memorable Collapses

SI missed one of the biggest if not THE biggest collapse in sports-the 1964 Phillies. This team blew the pennant at the end of the season by losing most of their games at a time when they had just about wrapped up the NL pennant. I don't have the stats to show how bad it was, but to anyone following baseball in 1964, it was unimaginable. Gene Mauch, architect of another collapse, the 1986 Angels in the playoffs against the Buckner Red Sox, panicked in the final 2 weeks of the season and totally messed up his pitching rotation. The highlight was his spare rib sauce meltdown in the Philly locker room.

The guys at SI who put this together must have been born after 1964.

They also missed the 1978 Red Sox and of course the Dodgers meltdown the year "The Giants win the pennant" on the Bobby Thompson homerun in the playoff game.

SI missed one of the biggest if not THE biggest collapse in sports-the 1964 Phillies.  This team blew the pennant at the end of the season by losing most of their games at a time when they had just about wrapped up the NL pennant.  I don't have the stats to show how bad it was, but to anyone following baseball in 1964, it was unimaginable.  Gene Mauch, architect of another collapse, the 1986 Angels in the playoffs against the Buckner Red Sox, panicked in the final 2 weeks of the season and totally messed up his pitching rotation.  The highlight was his spare rib sauce meltdown in the Philly locker room. 

They also missed the 1978 Red Sox and of course the Dodgers meltdown the year "The Giants win the pennant" on the Bobby Thompson homerun in the playoff game.

712796[/snapback]

Because they had golf in it. Golf isn't a sport. It's a pastime. sure the guys who play it are good, but that doesn't make it a sport. In a sport, you have to have 2 guys hitting each other - preferably with a stick or something. In a sport you need padding so you don't get killed. In a sport, you need a cart to carry off the wounded.

Soccer, Football, Lacrosse, Hockey, those are sports.

Baseball is kind of a sport. Auto Racing is a kind of sport.

Golf, Frisbee Golf, Track, these are not sports.

What a joke. I'm glad to see SI helping to push the idea that just because it happened yesterday, it must be the "biggest ever". :rolleyes:

Now explain to me again how blowing a one shot lead in the US Open is a bigger collapse than blowing a 3 shot lead in the British Open. Fuggin retards.

Also, some great additions by Albany above...all those you mentioned should be on the list.

That was the greatest football game I've ever watched to this day. I was fifteen and completely dejected because my team was getting stomped in the playoffs at home. I was about to change the channel, but said what the heck because I had watched it this far. Next thing I know, I was jumping all over the living room with every touchdown. I was scared when they let Houston tie the game and it went into overtime. But when the kick went through in OT, all I could say was, "Wow, what a game."

SI missed one of the biggest if not THE biggest collapse in sports-the 1964 Phillies.  This team blew the pennant at the end of the season by losing most of their games at a time when they had just about wrapped up the NL pennant.  I don't have the stats to show how bad it was, but to anyone following baseball in 1964, it was unimaginable.  Gene Mauch, architect of another collapse, the 1986 Angels in the playoffs against the Buckner Red Sox, panicked in the final 2 weeks of the season and totally messed up his pitching rotation.  The highlight was his spare rib sauce meltdown in the Philly locker room. 

712796[/snapback]

You also have the Jets comeback against Miami a few years ago on MNF, and don't forget the fastest choke job by the Pats playing a pathetic Fish team two years ago and Brady giving the game away in the last quarter.

Maybe not the biggest collapses ever, but bigger than some of the events on their list.

And as an unpopular reminder to all fans who feel the refs screw us on a regular basis, please remember...if instant replay took place during the comeback game, it would not be known as the comeback game but rather the end of the Bills' run toward a third SB.

That was the greatest football game I've ever watched to this day. I was fifteen and completely dejected because my team was getting stomped in the playoffs at home. I was about to change the channel, but said what the heck because I had watched it this far. Next thing I know, I was jumping all over the living room with every touchdown. I was scared when they let Houston tie the game and it went into overtime. But when the kick went through in OT, all I could say was, "Wow, what a game."

713028[/snapback]

Where did you live? That game was blacked out in WNY. I remember listening on the radio.....and shutting it off when we were getting whooped. After a while, my dad says to me, "you know, you might want to turn the game back on...they are coming back."

Where did you live?  That game was blacked out in WNY.  I remember listening on the radio.....and shutting it off when we were getting whooped.  After a while, my dad says to me, "you know, you might want to turn the game back on...they are coming back."

713058[/snapback]

I know you weren't asking me, but I was in Webster (NE Roch) with a couple friends watching a snow-distorted picture that was all we could pick up from Syracuse.

I know you weren't asking me, but I was in Webster (NE Roch) with a couple friends watching a snow-distorted picture that was all we could pick up from Syracuse.

713062[/snapback]

That wasn't snow, it was drizzling at the stadium. ;)

Where did you live?  That game was blacked out in WNY.  I remember listening on the radio.....and shutting it off when we were getting whooped.  After a while, my dad says to me, "you know, you might want to turn the game back on...they are coming back."

713058[/snapback]

It was blacked out in the Buffalo network's television viewing area, but back then you could still go to any sports bar and watch the game, or use good "rabbit ears" if you were close enough to Syracuse.

if instant replay took place during the comeback game, it would not be known as the comeback game but rather the end of the Bills' run toward a third SB.

713031[/snapback]

While the Beebe TD would have called back, it was middle 3rd quarter, and i do not believe it was either 3rd or 4th down. So while they may not have scored on that drive, they might have scored on the next play, only taking longer and maybe the Bills win in regulation instead of going to OT.

Now contrast that with the calls killing Buffalo. The give it to em game, 4th down play, the interference in the end zone never happens.

Homw run throwup, end of game.

Reed unsportsman like in the end zone Miami playoff game,, end of game

No goal, end of game.

That reminded me of the Yankees/Red Sox 2004 fiasco.  26 world titles can't  erase the taste of that mighty choke job.

PTR

712745[/snapback]

I still can't call that a choke- we didn't play tight at all.....they were the better team, and the extra inning games exposed our lack of depth in the bullpen. We were lucky to make that series go 7 games.

Because they had golf in it. Golf isn't a sport. It's a pastime. sure the guys who play it are good, but that doesn't make it a sport. In a sport, you have to have 2 guys hitting each other - preferably with a stick or something. In a sport you need padding so you don't get killed. In a sport, you need a cart to carry off the wounded.

Soccer, Football, Lacrosse, Hockey, those are sports.

Baseball is kind of a sport. Auto Racing is a kind of sport.

Golf, Frisbee Golf, Track, these are not sports.

712919[/snapback]

Did you star in a couple of GEICO TV commercials?