Bledso rollout

Billzfan23

I remember back in New England, Pete Carrol used to have Bledsoe roll out of the pocket from time to time. Any idea why Buffalo coaches have never done this? Anyone, even statue-Drew can run to a spot, set his feet, and make a good throw. The Pats even do this with Brady and sometimes roll him out to the right and have him throw to the left side of the field. There seems to be no creativity at all.

first, happy birthday.

second, McNally has yet to make this the perfect line. And drew has shown his age. I know he's only 33 (right?) but he cannot move anymore. That's not somethign he will "get back"... (not that he ever had a ton of it).

I remember at least one attempted rollout against da raiders. It failed miserably and DB got creamed. Don't know where the breakdown occurred, or if maybe he wasn't supposed to roll out? :lol:

In theory though I agree with you. At least present a moving ;) target for the defense.

I remember at least one attempted rollout against da raiders.  It failed miserably and DB got creamed.  Don't know where the breakdown occurred, or if maybe he wasn't supposed to roll out? :lol:

In theory though I agree with you.  At least present a moving ;)  target for the defense.

52041[/snapback]

That was the one where the fullback (Shelton) completely missed because he was trying to get to the flat as an outlet reciever. Even a simple chip could have taken the linebacker out of his stride.

Rolling out is employed a lot with Favre, and the Giants have started using it with Warner, allowing the offensive tackles to get a better angle on the D line. By rolling out, the D line must take a different angle as opposed to a straight rush, giving the O line a chance at catching them off balanced and in a vulnerable position. It is best employed when you have a tight end or Fullback to that side, in the case you cited, the fullback whiffed. I would like to see it, provided we have a QB who can actually use his 3-5 steps to get to the proper place and scan the field at the same time. It may or may not be the guy that is starting this week. But I say give it another shot.....

I'm surprised that Drew can even walk with all of the blindsided hits the guy takes.

I agree though...I am much more accurate with Bledsoe in Madden when I rollout. ;) Then again, with Losman, I can fool the defense with a Hail Mary play, roll out, and turn it into a 25 yard rush.

I'm surprised that Drew can even walk with all of the blindsided hits the guy takes.

I agree though...I am much more accurate with Bledsoe in Madden when I rollout.  ;)  Then again, with Losman, I can fool the defense with a Hail Mary play, roll out, and turn it into a 25 yard rush.

52071[/snapback]

With Losman you can really get more productivity out of the QB position.

You get the rollouts and you got a a guy that can wheel. Right now if you get a

broken play with Drew your dead. With J.Ps mobility he will be a asset even on

a breakdown.

With Losman you can really get more productivity out of the QB position.

You get the rollouts and you got a a guy that can wheel. Right now if you get a

broken play with Drew your dead. With J.Ps mobility he will be a asset even on

a breakdown.

52097[/snapback]

100% right, I saw that at one of the pre-season games he played. Yes, he can run down field, but even without that he has enough wheels to buy himself more time. D's cannot tee off with him back there because he can avoid the rush. That in itself buys more time for himself. With Bledsoe, D's know where he will always be.

Losman could be the next Todd Collins for all we know, but from what I saw early on, I think he has what it takes & I think next year the team is his

That was the one where the fullback (Shelton) completely missed because he was trying to get to the flat as an outlet reciever. Even a simple chip could have taken the linebacker out of his stride.

52053[/snapback]

Shelton has done this a few times, and DB takes a sack and everyone disses the OL. <sigh>

When I first saw the subject, I thought Drew got new carpets for his house. :)

Shelton has done this a few times, and DB takes a sack and everyone disses the OL. <sigh>

When I first saw the subject, I thought Drew got new carpets for his house.  :)

52283[/snapback]

so why isn't Drew throwing to Shelton as the outlet on the play?

Instead of freezing up and taking the sack.

so why isn't Drew throwing to Shelton as the outlet on the play?

Instead of freezing up and taking the sack.

52364[/snapback]

Because DB is still looking for his first 2 recievers, and in the example cited, Shelton was still trying to get to the flat and Bledsoe was down already.

Because DB is still looking for his first 2 recievers, and in the example cited, Shelton was still trying to get to the flat and Bledsoe was down already.

52369[/snapback]

In that example, too, the defensive back was sprinting past Shelton on a beeline to Bledsoe. Had Shelton popped him then returned to his route, it would have bought Drew 3 seconds easily.

Alternately, if Shelton was his #1 choice, Shelton's action would have worked - run past the coverage and have the ball delivered immediately.

Just a stevestojan play.

he has. he does. it's not his strong suit, but the coaches have done it a few times. in fact, the TD pass to moulds was a designed rollout.

52067[/snapback]

Exactly. Against the Titans last year, he rolled out twice and threw a TD pass on one, and Shaw dropped the two point conversion because he was "showing the ref the ball" the second time. Not sure why he doesn't rollout more, but he's been pretty successful with it.

CW

In that example, too, the defensive back was sprinting past Shelton on a beeline to Bledsoe. Had Shelton popped him then returned to his route, it would have bought Drew 3 seconds easily.

Alternately, if  Shelton was his #1 choice, Shelton's action would have worked - run past the coverage and have the ball delivered immediately.

Just a stevestojan play.

53023[/snapback]

You have identified the problem.

Drew did not recognize the blitz, therefore he did not dump off the pass to the designed outlet to avoid the sack.

You have identified the problem.

Drew did not recognize the blitz, therefore he did not dump off the pass to the designed outlet to avoid the sack.

53182[/snapback]

Oh please, like you know that the play was designed like that and that the FB would even have been looking for it.

The only "rollout" Drew can do now is what happens to him after a LDE crashes into him and he "rolls-out" about 3 or 4 feet while lying prone and then a NT, LB, or Safety wraps him up.

That said, I hope that tomorrow he passes for 399 yards, 4 TDs, no INTs, and scores 2 more TDs on QB draws. I hope a parade is held in his honor on Monday, and the OBD ship gets righted and steams straight ahead for multiple SB victories beginning with this season's.

Hey, hope springs eternal. Someday there will be a Lombardi in the trophy case at OBD.

Guest simms is an idiot

"all you have to do is sidestep and avoid one guy to get the next little window and throw the football"

exactly what Bledsoe can't do!

Drew can roll out. He has always rolled out. The TD pass to Moulds was a roll out. He rolled out in the Jax game. He did it in pre-season. He did it last season. They don't ask him to do it much but he can do it and does it fine. Actually, they should do it more. He threw that perfect pass to Shaw last year in the Houston game while running rolling out that Shaw dropped that would have tied the game. He has done it his whole career.

Guest simms is an idiot
"all you have to do is sidestep and avoid one guy to get the next little window and throw the football"

exactly what Bledsoe can't do!

53311[/snapback]

As I said, Bledsoe can't sidestep and avoid the sack!

"Hello Mr. Bruschi, what are you doing in my backfield?" Sack and fumble. Touchdown NE.

It's not about QB speed. It's not about QB intelligence. It's not about arm strength. It's about having the knack or the instincts to make positive plays when all the conditions are not perfect for you. Bledsoe does not have this ability. It's a fatal flaw in today's NFL.

I've been harping about it since the day of the trade to acquire Bledsoe. I think I was the only one who said on this board that I thought the trade was terrible for the Bills. Virtually everyone flamed me for that position. There was widespread euphoria! Hail Bledsoe! Hail Donahoe!

I think it's time to put the Bledsoe nightmare behind us. Like Rob Johnson and Todd Collins.

Move on. Accept your mistakes. And do better next time!

To state the obvious Drew lacks jets.

However, if he can walk on the field, he can roll out. In fact he can and has done more than walk! If you look back to the Raiders game, it was indeed a rollout on the late touchdown to Bledsoe. Football is supposedly a thinking man's sport. Look at Parcells and how he mixes up plays, spreads the ball around and keeps defenses guessing. Why for the life of me, the Bills insist on lining up Bledsoe at center as opposed to the shotgun? Bledsoe can move, albeit not very fast but not moving him at all makes it much easier to defend against him. Of course the Pats were going to tee off on Bledsoe on the last drive just as the Raiders did at the end of that game. Learn from mistakes, playcalling mistakes.

Is there anybody out there who played the game who can give first hand commentary as to how to defense a stationary qb vs. a qb that rolls out?

Is there anybody out there who can offer first hand knowledge as to why it is better to use the shotgun when it is 3rd and long, 4th and long?

If it so obvious to the fans that rollouts and shotguns offer a distinct advantage then why isn't it obvious to the coaches? Or do the coaches simply insist on using their cookie cutter of a gameplan regardless of the circumstances and the consequences.