Who do think is the best player to have ever

Robert James was probably the best player to ever strap on the uniform.

694383[/snapback]

Kelly, Simpson, James, Billy Shaw or Bruce Smith come to mind. I think a case can be made for each of them. Kelly and Shaw are in Canton. Smith is up there as one of the two or three best defensive lineman of all time. Simpson was Simpson and this isn't another one of those "great character" threads. I happen to think James was just an outstanding player and I was surprised someone else had the same feelings.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because elway and montana played for the bills  :doh:

694385[/snapback]

My point was that OJ has done something no other RB has done--2000 rushing yards in a 14 game season. But anything Jim Kelly's done, guys like Montana, Elway, and Unitas have done better.

because elway and montana played for the bills  :doh:

694385[/snapback]

Montana has no arm strength, he can't make the throws. Oh wait that's Holcomb. But that was the knock on Montana, smart but no arm.

Hmmmmmmmm.. :lol:

I am so glad fans and sports writers are not coaches.

I agree on Frutie.  Think about all that Frutie did:

(a) He single handedly saved the Bills from moving. (selling all those luxury box seats himself and making RW gobs of money).

(b) He was a winner.  Simple as that.

© Look at all the things he did for the Buffalo community and how he carried himself and gave of himself

(d) His playoff record is perfect

(e) Remind me of how many superbowl MVP awards he earned

(f) He is a lock to be a first ballot HOFer

(g) For god's sake he had a cereal named after him

(h) Look at all the young QB's he has mentored

(i) Look at the number of probowls he went to AFTER the Bills stupidly release him

Frutie is a no-brain selection as to the most valuable Bill. Period.

694596[/snapback]

He was great on defense. That is how he won so many games all by himself. :doh:

Jim Kelly makes more sense now that I think about it.  However, Thurman for me is a close second.

694281[/snapback]

Bruce Smith. All-time NFL sack leader despite playing most of his career as a 265 lb. 3-4 DE. He is the one great player from the Super Bowl era who was not in the right "system" for his skills, and yet he stands as the leagues all time sack leader. Given the circumstances of Reggie White's career, 4-3 defenses, including the "46" and the opportunity to pass rush against right tackles instead of the Tony Boselli's and Bruce Armstrongs......Bruce would have several times annihilated the single season sack record set by White and eclipsed by Michael Strahan and Gretzky'd the all-time sack record, likely to the tune of 300+.

I have watched  Bills games since 1965. There is no comparison.

O.J. Simpson is by far the best player ever to play for the Bills. There is no argument. To say he is not considered to be in the top 5 at his position  is to show you are too young to remember or are tainted by his character.

694589[/snapback]

Yes, I am too young to remember but no, not tainted by character.

Since I am too young to remember, I have to base my opinion on the concensus of football followers who have seen him(not just the Bills fans).

Over time, I have seen this argued many times & typically OJ gets left out of a top 5(though obviously not always since it is just opinion)

Names like Marion Motley, Bronko Nagurski, Steve Van Buren, Barry Sanders & others...

& those you mentioned...Emmitt Smith, Walter Payton, Gale Sayers, Thurman Thomas.

You are probably too young to remember some of those players.

Unfortunately for us Bills fans, neither OJ nor Thurman are considered(on mass) to be Top 5.

But hey, it's all just opinion.

Bruce Smith.  All-time NFL sack leader despite playing most of his career as a 265 lb. 3-4 DE.      He is the one great player from the Super Bowl era who was not in the right "system" for his skills, and yet he stands as the leagues all time sack leader.  Given the circumstances of Reggie White's career, 4-3 defenses, including the "46" and the opportunity to pass rush against right tackles instead of the Tony Boselli's and Bruce Armstrongs......Bruce would have several times annihilated the single season sack record set by White and eclipsed by Michael Strahan and Gretzky'd the all-time sack record, likely to the tune of 300+.

694980[/snapback]

Great minds think alike I guess :doh:

dog, i'd say bruce smith and it isn't even close. oj had 3 great and a couple of really good seasons for the bills; smith had about 10 (1987, 88, 89, 90, 93, 95, 96, 97, and arguably 86 and 92). his performance in 1996 stands as the most dominating performance ever by a defensive end in my book. he had a good but not great number of sacks (13.5), but i'm fairly certain he absolutely smashed the record for pressures (a stat that hadn't been around for long, i know) with something like 40.  he was also absolutely sensational against the run. he was defensive player of the year both in 96 and 90. to be the league defensive mvp twice is pretty damn sensational.

and, like oj, he was a dominating player in college who went #1 overall.

i also thought that from 93 onward, smith was a significantly better player than white.  all told, i'd take white over smith.

694615[/snapback]

I think the total was #54 that year & 3 blocked FG's- i have no idea why i remember that, but i do... :doh:

Surely this is just conjecture and an opinion, but if you took OJ in 1973 and you took Bruce in his best season, perhaps 1996, and then asked all 32 coaches and GMs who they would take on their team if they had to make a choice, I think the vast majority of them would take OJ. The only way they don't, IMO, is if you're thinking of an entire career (meaning if you're the GM you may think a DE is going to last twice as long as a RB, so you take the DE). But that isn't the question, the question is who is the greatest player and OJ was the greatest player, hands down.

Guest dog14787
Jim Kelly makes more sense now that I think about it.  However, Thurman for me is a close second.

694281[/snapback]

JIM " Machine Gun" KELLY !!!!!! :doh: