Who do think is the best player to have ever

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those with long memories have many players to consider. When you realize that Cookie Gilchrist was at least a 10 year veteran when he arrived in Buffalo and may have passed his peak he seems to me to have been the best all-round player I have ever seen. Fully capable of playing defense as he did in Canada, a superb pass receiver, a kicker who could kick-off and make the tackle inside the 15 yard line and, although a step slower than Jimmy Brown he, at 260 pounds laid some bone jarring hits on defenders.  His three years in Buffalo saw him lead the league in scoring twice.  He ran with grace, power and coordination and allowed the passing game to work since he had to be defensed.

697327[/snapback]

There is some old footage of Cookie against the Jets. I love the one were he breaks a few tackles, bursts by everyone and is heading for the endzone. Instead of taking an angle to the goal line to go in untouched he notices a safety and runs straight at him. He blows him up, steps on his head, and then jogs the last few yards for the TD. Classic stuff.