Who do think is the best player to have ever

It's OJ, and it's not really even close. He was one of the greatest college players of all-time. The number one pick in the draft. He had the best season ever for a running back in the NFL. Had 2-3 more fabulous seasons. Was the best player at his position in the game when he was in his prime. Everyone knew he was getting the ball and yet he still couldn't be stopped. And was elected to the Hall of Fame. It's not even close for any other player in Bills history. Bruce Smith is probably second.

Even though there were othe great players like Robert James, and Tom Sestak, and Billy Shaw and Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas, I doubt any of those other players would even be considered the best players at their position in the game when they were great. James and Thurman were the closest, but they weren't considered the best by people outside of Buffalo. Even other people in other cities and around the NFL always considered Reggie White to be better than Bruce.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, for me it was a guy that made it possible for guys like Kelly, Thomas, and Reed to post such great numbers. Gotta give it to the guy(s) in the trenches. Kent Hull and Jim Ritcher were always my favorites on the O-line, the keystone to any great Offense.

Defensively, had to be Bruce.

It's OJ, and it's not really even close. He was one of the greatest college players of all-time. The number one pick in the draft. He had the best season ever for a running back in the NFL. Had 2-3 more fabulous seasons. Was the best player at his position in the game when he was in his prime. Everyone knew he was getting the ball and yet he still couldn't be stopped. And was elected to the Hall of Fame. It's not even close for any other player in Bills history. Bruce Smith is probably second.

Even though there were othe great players like Robert James, and Tom Sestak, and Billy Shaw and Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas, I doubt any of those other players would even be considered the best players at their position in the game when they were great. James and Thurman were the closest, but they weren't considered the best by people outside of Buffalo. Even other people in other cities and around the NFL always considered Reggie White to be better than Bruce.

694408[/snapback]

Yes but it's not Smiths fault he played at the same time as the 'best'(White).

I would put Smith above OJ.

OJ = 1st pick in draft, not Top 5 of all time, 6 pro-bowls.

Smith = 1st pick in draft, Top 3 of all time, 11 pro-bowls.

& as I said, Tasker = ummm, Top 1 of all time, 7 pro-bowls.

Who else is getting desperate for the Bills to have another player of any of these guys caliber?

To me, it's always been Bruce. To do what he did, and do it in a 3-4 defense, is the the most incredible career performance I have ever witnessed. Once he was 3 years into the league he had zero weaknesses vs. run or pass and sustained that for a long, long time. He made D coordinators insomniacs and dedicate an entire gameplan just to account for him on Sundays. He beat double-teams with consistency and made everyone else around him better when on the field.

For me, the first name to pop into my head is Billy Joe Hobert.

But part of me argues for Gary Marange, too, so I'm a bit conflicted.

694428[/snapback]

We can see by the tension on those bikini spaghetti straps just how and why you're stressed too.

I have watched Bills games since 1965. There is no comparison.

O.J. Simpson is by far the best player ever to play for the Bills. There is no argument. To say he is not considered to be in the top 5 at his position is to show you are too young to remember or are tainted by his character. Jim Brown is the only runningback who I would say is clearly better than Simpson. Franco Harris.... lol. Emmitt Smith... he had 4/5 all pros on his oline and was smaller and slower than the Juice. Walter Payton is in the ball park and was better than Emmitt but Gale Sayers was better than Payton. In fact, I'd put Sayers up with the Juice if it weren't for the injuries. I wish we could see full games from the 70's to see the fear factor he brought to opposing defenses. Barry Sanders was great but had too many 4 yard losses to go along with the big plays.

I love Thurman, Kelly Andre Reed and Bruce Smith but none had the ability of O.J.

Second , in my opinion ... Bruce Smith. Thanks

Doug Flutie.

694476[/snapback]

I agree on Frutie. Think about all that Frutie did:

(a) He single handedly saved the Bills from moving. (selling all those luxury box seats himself and making RW gobs of money).

(b) He was a winner. Simple as that.

© Look at all the things he did for the Buffalo community and how he carried himself and gave of himself

(d) His playoff record is perfect

(e) Remind me of how many superbowl MVP awards he earned

(f) He is a lock to be a first ballot HOFer

(g) For god's sake he had a cereal named after him

(h) Look at all the young QB's he has mentored

(i) Look at the number of probowls he went to AFTER the Bills stupidly release him

Frutie is a no-brain selection as to the most valuable Bill. Period.

I agree on Frutie.  Think about all that Frutie did:

(a) He single handedly saved the Bills from moving. (selling all those luxury box seats himself and making RW gobs of money).

(b) He was a winner.  Simple as that.

© Look at all the things he did for the Buffalo community and how he carried himself and gave of himself

(d) His playoff record is perfect

(e) Remind me of how many superbowl MVP awards he earned

(f) He is a lock to be a first ballot HOFer

(g) For god's sake he had a cereal named after him

(h) Look at all the young QB's he has mentored

(i) Look at the number of probowls he went to AFTER the Bills stupidly release him

Frutie is a no-brain selection as to the most valuable Bill. Period.

694596[/snapback]

When he stood at the podium in support of Hillary Clinton... that sealed it for me!

OJ was great. Thurman, everyone I believe know my opinion, as I get very protective when idiots compare Willis or Travis to him (not even close guys). bruce, Jimbo, etc.. are great.

But James flat out went 3 years (I believe) without ever giving up a TD to his receiver that he covered. He was the ultimate shutdown corner and team player. Not flashy like Sanders but a better pure cover. If it wasn;t for injuries that shortened his career, people would be saying Sanders was the second best corner ever.

OJ was great. Thurman, everyone I believe know my opinion, as I get very protective when idiots compare Willis or Travis to him (not even close guys).  bruce, Jimbo, etc.. are great. 

But James flat out went 3 years (I believe) without ever giving up a TD to his receiver that he covered.  He was the ultimate shutdown corner and team player.  Not flashy like Sanders but a better pure cover.  If it wasn;t for injuries that shortened his career, people would be saying Sanders was the second best corner ever.

694608[/snapback]

Won't disagree with his greatness. I remember him going down against the Rams in a preseason game, I believe. With the technology today he may have come back and been a perennial all-pro. That was a bummer 'cuz we were building a good team at the time.

694408[/snapback]

dog, i'd say bruce smith and it isn't even close. oj had 3 great and a couple of really good seasons for the bills; smith had about 10 (1987, 88, 89, 90, 93, 95, 96, 97, and arguably 86 and 92). his performance in 1996 stands as the most dominating performance ever by a defensive end in my book. he had a good but not great number of sacks (13.5), but i'm fairly certain he absolutely smashed the record for pressures (a stat that hadn't been around for long, i know) with something like 40. he was also absolutely sensational against the run. he was defensive player of the year both in 96 and 90. to be the league defensive mvp twice is pretty damn sensational.

and, like oj, he was a dominating player in college who went #1 overall.

i also thought that from 93 onward, smith was a significantly better player than white. all told, i'd take white over smith.