OT - Computer advice, need some thoughts

EZC-Boston

I just would like to add my post was Bills related and you posted a personal attack on me.  WTF?

Do you see the "OT" in the subject line? Do you see the words that say, "Computer advice needed?" This isn't a Bills related thread, so why are you posting your mindless DB bashing here?!

;)

CW

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

posted on consumer board, but that doesn't look like its used much, so here it goes:

I think my computer is toast, its 4 years old, pentium 550, all i want is a decent computer, no monitor, nothing, just the tower. All i need it for is surfing the net and what not, no gaming, nothing crazy. any suggestions on where to get it? I was thinking ebay, but i'm not sure what i'm getting. I'd like to spend $400 tops. Is this doable?

51505[/snapback]

$400 is a tight budget. But if you wait, Dell will have a $399 special come up. It would be a Pentium 4 Celeron 2.7Gig 256MB RAM system with a 40GB hard drive. Probably with free shipping, but no monitor. But you can find used monitors for $25. It's not state-of-the-art but it's still a solid system, with decent support.

One suggestion: pay for it with a credit card...don't use Dell Credit. They will keeping telling you you owe 'em a buck or two every month when you think you paid them off 100%.

PTR

STF Pete. If you had an ounce of social skills you would understand that not everyone wants to read your opinion on DB in every thread, ad nauseum, every GD day. You have your opinion - you've made it known. We ALL know!!!

Hijacking threads is kidcrap and Fez has every right to be pissed.

Now, go have that cookie for being ahead of the curve and you can count all the people who actually care standing on the head of pin.

Ok, let me throw this out there and see where it gets me...I have my own "software" and would be willing to upgrade on my own, I liked that tower for $300 that was posted earlier, is that a good deal?

51920[/snapback]

Yes, it's a good deal!

posted on consumer board, but that doesn't look like its used much, so here it goes:

I think my computer is toast, its 4 years old, pentium 550, all i want is a decent computer, no monitor, nothing, just the tower. All i need it for is surfing the net and what not, no gaming, nothing crazy. any suggestions on where to get it? I was thinking ebay, but i'm not sure what i'm getting. I'd like to spend $400 tops. Is this doable?

51505[/snapback]

Look at the Dell SC400 server machine (under the small business section).

The last deal last week there for a 2.8Ghz(800 FB), 512Mb RAM, 80Gb hd

went for $299.

Look at the Dell SC400 server machine (under the small business section).

The last deal last week there for a 2.8Ghz(800 FB), 512Mb RAM, 80Gb hd

went for $299.

51929[/snapback]

Last time I put together a nice inexpensive package through Dell, I was ready to buy until I had to add in $150 for tax and shipping. All of a sudden not such a great deal. ;)

STF Pete. If you had an ounce of social skills you would understand that not everyone wants to read your opinion on DB in every thread, ad nauseum, every GD day. You have your opinion - you've made it known. We ALL know!!!

Hijacking threads is kidcrap and Fez has every right to be pissed.

Now, go have that cookie for being ahead of the curve and you can count all the people who actually care standing on the head of pin.

51641[/snapback]

I think you meant STFU, Scott. STFU ...

Ok, let me throw this out there and see where it gets me...I have my own "software" and would be willing to upgrade on my own, I liked that tower for $300 that was posted earlier, is that a good deal?

51920[/snapback]

Personally, I'd spend the $30 more and buy the Dell PowerEdge 400SC. It has a MUCH better CPU (as much as I love AMD, I don't like the Sempron, which is basically the same as a Cereron). You'd get better performance out of the 400SC that VABills posted.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/f...s=04&l=en&s=bsd

Plus, the support at Dell is supposedly better (never used it myself though).

CW

Dell has horrendous customer service. I'll spare you the details, but they used to be good, they grew far too fast, and if you ever need service you'll regret buying a Dell.

SAM'S Club & WalMart are two excellent places to look for deals.

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/MainCatego...Cat=1597&Page=1

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PA...&PROD_ID=856553

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PA...RO_SSUB_CAT=999

The last two are overstock.com, the first is a PC, the second the greater link.

The very first link is heartland america where you'll find some great deals on non-current model stuff.

Personally, I'd spend the $30 more and buy the Dell PowerEdge 400SC.  It has a MUCH better CPU (as much as I love AMD, I don't like the Sempron, which is basically the same as a Cereron).  You'd get better performance out of the 400SC that VABills posted.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/f...s=04&l=en&s=bsd

Plus, the support at Dell is supposedly better (never used it myself though).

CW

51967[/snapback]

Actually the Sempron are just a rename of the Durons which are cheap Celeron clones.

I agree the SC400 is a better deal, but no OS, thats why I showed the other 299 dell deal.

One store that isn't that much in the East (as far as I know), is Fry's Electronics. The best store, EVER!!!! Got my eMac there for $1100, with free printer that I gave to my stepson. (I have the need for a more beefy printer). He uses it for school work, and it is very dependable for him. If I were to buy my eMac at the Apple Store, no printer. Fry's always has little specials like these.

Anyhoo, here are a few choices:

Compaq Presario 6200CL AMD Athlon™ XP Processor 2800+ with 512MB, 120GB, CD-RW, DVD-Rom, Refurbished - $449.99

GQ 6074 AMD® Athlon™ XP 2400+, 128MB DDR RAM, 40GB Hard Drive, 52x CD-RW, 56K, NIC, Windows XP - $429.99

Compaq SR1110NX Celeron D325(2.53GHz); 256MB, 40GB, CD-RW, 56K, NIC, XP - Regularly $479.99, now $429.99

Good luck!

Last time I put together a nice inexpensive package through Dell, I was ready to buy until I had to add in $150 for tax and shipping. All of a sudden not such a great deal.  ;)

51956[/snapback]

Dell's promos usually include free shipping on system's $599 and up. This insures that you're getting a solid system, and that they're making some money, because you upgraded a few items.

In the business of making money...

Update, so my computer now says:

"CPU is unworkable or has been changed"

I'm assuming its toast and not putting any money into a 550 that just had its 4th birthday, that being said I think I'm going with this one:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...400pw10od&s=bsd

Does the fact that it says server mean anything? I have have windows XP Pro, should this be fine on this machine? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks for the help!

Update, so my computer now says:

I'm assuming its toast and not putting any money into a 550 that just had its 4th birthday, that being said I think I'm going with this one: 

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...400pw10od&s=bsd

Does the fact that it says server mean anything?  I have have windows XP Pro, should this be fine on this machine?  Anything else I should consider?

Thanks for the help!

59693[/snapback]

Doe's not mean you need a new pc. It means that something has to be reset in the cmos. If you reboot and hold the "Delete" key while its booting it will take you into the cmos menu. There you can make adjustments and most likely solve your problem. With that type of error message on post it probably is your cpu frequency out of whack. There will be a menu item that indicates "Frequency" or "Cpu Frequency" or something like that. IFyou have a P3 550 these setting should be 5.5 multiplier with a FSB of 100 but make sure you have a P3. I would try this first before junking your pc. Even if you do buy a new one you can use the 550 as a spare or for something else.

Doe's not mean you need a new pc. It means that something has to be reset in the cmos. If you reboot and hold the "Delete" key while its booting it will take you into the cmos menu. There you can make adjustments and most likely solve your problem. With that type of error message on post it probably is your cpu frequency out of whack. There will be a menu item that indicates "Frequency" or "Cpu Frequency" or something like that. IFyou have a P3 550 these setting should be 5.5 multiplier with a FSB of 100 but make sure you have a P3. I would try this first before junking your pc. Even if you do buy a new one you can use the 550 as a spare or for something else.

59722[/snapback]

Ok, very confused, when I went into the menu it says i have a 533 with a mulitplier of 4, however when I start up my computer there something that says CPU speed is 266, thoughts?