OT - Computer advice, need some thoughts

EZC-Boston

Ok, very confused, when I went into the menu it says i have a 533 with a mulitplier of 4, however when I start up my computer there something that says CPU speed is 266, thoughts?

Unless you're *really* tight on money right now, ditch the crappy 533MHz box and buy the Dell you linked to. Be sure to add the free keyboard and mouse, as well as the free backup tape -- you won't be able to use it, but you can sell it on eBay for between $10-$20 if you want.

You'll also want to buy more RAM for it, but not from Dell.

I just don't think it's worth the time troubleshooting this one. You can take the harddrive out of it and put it into your new Dell when you get it so that you'll have two drives and can then get all of the data off of it.

Regarding your initial quesiton - don't worry that it says server; it'll work just fine as a desktop. It has an AGP slot that's officially unsupported, but everyone says it works great. You'll love the box. There's a site somewhere that talks about all the things it can do (a FAQ of sorst), but I can't find it offhand...

Dell has had better deals in the past on this box (if you can imagine that...), adding things like a DVD drive or a CD-RW, or an 80G drive upgrade, but this is still a great deal - and best of all, no mail-in rebates to worry about (I had a $100 rebate to get mine down to. Regardless, it's a good deal for a good box.

CW

PS: This thread should really be on the Consumer board...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, very confused, when I went into the menu it says i have a 533 with a mulitplier of 4, however when I start up my computer there something that says CPU speed is 266, thoughts?

59730[/snapback]

If you are running a P3 550 this may be your problem. Try setting the multilplier at 5.5 and your FSB at 100.

If your pc doesnt boot then try dealing with the 533 speed that it seems to be defaulting to. Leave the multiplier at 4 and set the fsb to 133. Hope this will help you

$400 is a tight budget.  But if you wait, Dell will have a $399 special come up.  It would be a Pentium 4 Celeron 2.7Gig 256MB RAM system with a 40GB hard drive.  Probably with free shipping, but no monitor.  But you can find used monitors for $25.  It's not state-of-the-art but it's still a solid system, with decent support.

One suggestion: pay for it with a credit card...don't use Dell Credit.  They will keeping telling you you owe 'em a buck or two every month when you think you paid them off 100%.

PTR

51639[/snapback]

Can't say I've had that problem and I've used the Dell credit 4-5 times already for various items including tow PC's. Never had a problem. I pay the full amount when the bill arrives and then I don't hear from them again til the next purchase.