carpenter ants- any suggestions?

Pete

From the Virginia Cooperative Extension....

CONTROL: Control of carpenter ant infestations requires that the nest be found. Once this is done, the infested wood can be removed or treated chemically, and causes of moisture damage to the wood can be corrected. The best procedure is to inspect all possible locations-and to select these locations on the basis of potential water exposure. Once the nest is located, control can be achieved by the use of an aerosol insecticide labeled for the purpose.

More info on Carpenter Ants Control Methods

Google is a great resource.

call a local independant exterminator. make sure he doesn't just come and spray, but have him come in and walk the premesis and determine the location of where they are coming from.

first visit is about $100 - $200. Annual visits to keep the problem under control drop down to about $75 - $150.

Besides getting a professional to get them out of your house, check around your property. We used to see those large black ants all over the house every spring. It turned out they were living in a tree near the house that was beginning to age. We removed the tree. Also check firewood stacked outside or in the garage.

good luck.

My place is inundated with them.  Any suggestions for bait or non toxic insecticides?  Thanks!  BTW I got bitten by one- that sucker burned for a sec

683232[/snapback]

Do you have kids? Buy them and their friends some magnifying glasses and tell them to go to town!

Or if they are older show them the old "Off/WD40/Hair spray + a lighter" trick and flamethrow the ants.

So...was the Carpenter reference just really bad, or don't people remember?

Probably really bad.

683715[/snapback]

:blush::angry::lol:

as soon as you mentioned that, i immediately thought of farley and spade in the car on Tommy Boy.

Afraid I can't be of much help w/ your problem.

As it appears you've already had your share of facetious remarks, let me add another comment.

Isn't by definition an insecticide toxic?