carpenter ants- any suggestions?

Pete

I buy the cheap gallon of bug juice and spray the foundation every month. I'm sure the rain washes it off, but so far, it seems to do the job.

Had a problem with wasps nesting in the eaves, but squirting the 15-foot wasp cans all around has been effective. Took 2 years to chase 'em out, and I repeat it every spring.

Be sure to have good goggles on, gloves, and scrub up afterwards.

Sure, you let a silverback loose in your house and you quickly forget about a couple silly ants. :blush:

683742[/snapback]

Umm... no. There is a commercial where a guy has a roach or termite infestation, I don't remember which. Anyhow he gets a silverback, because that's what they eat is tiny insects. The owner is talking with a neighbor about it, and asks "What else would you get?".

I guess you have to hear it to understand.

I buy the cheap gallon of bug juice and spray the foundation every month. I'm sure the rain washes it off, but so far, it seems to do the job.

Had a problem with wasps nesting in the eaves, but squirting the 15-foot wasp cans all around has been effective. Took 2 years to chase 'em out, and I repeat it every spring.

Be sure to have good goggles on, gloves, and scrub up afterwards.

683739[/snapback]

Isn't this hypocritical? I am glad we send it to other countries... :blush::angry:

I think I still have a bottle around that my father gave me... Probably explains a lot to you guys... :lol::lol: Still works in a very, VERY CONTROLLED setting...

Chlordane

Why was chlordane use banned?

Laboratory mice that were fed chlordane over long periods of time had a higher incidence of liver cancer than untreated mice. These results raised concerns about chlordane's ability to cause cancer in humans. Chlordane was also found to stay in the environment and build up in animal and fish fat. There was a concern that people may be exposed to this insecticide by eating food contaminated with chlordane, including fish, shell-fish, dairy, meat and poultry products. Its use was subsequently banned due to these concerns.

Is chlordane still made commercially?

Chlordane is still made in the U.S. for export. Formulations containing chlordane are available internationally for termite control and wood treatment.

Isn't this hypocritical?  I am glad we send it to other countries... :blush:  :angry:

I think I still have a bottle around that my father gave me... Probably explains a lot to you guys... :D  :P  Still works in a very, VERY CONTROLLED setting...

Chlordane

Why was chlordane use banned?

Laboratory mice that were fed chlordane over long periods of time had a higher incidence of liver cancer than untreated mice. These results raised concerns about chlordane's ability to cause cancer in humans. Chlordane was also found to stay in the environment and build up in animal and fish fat. There was a concern that people may be exposed to this insecticide by eating food contaminated with chlordane, including fish, shell-fish, dairy, meat and poultry products. Its use was subsequently banned due to these concerns.

Is chlordane still made commercially?

Chlordane is still made in the U.S. for export. Formulations containing chlordane are available internationally for termite control and wood treatment.

683768[/snapback]

When we bought this place, (constructed in 1954) the owner (2nd owner) left a lot of info about replacement guarantees for this or that, improvements, including contracts. Including one from the original owner, from an infestation contractor that was bought up by Terminix, as well as a certified, notarized letter declaring that Terminix will honor the original contract. It's for complete affected area replacement at whatever prevailing rates may be, including if need be, the entire structure if the owner is not satisfied, and...a cap on yearly cost increases. What a find! :lol:

Terminex sends me mailings year-round about this and that deal which will improve my life. They used to con me into sitting home for bi-yearly inspections, tried to sell me lawn treatments and such, but gave up.

One of life's rare victories! :lol:

When we bought this place, (constructed in 1954) the owner (2nd owner) left a lot of info about replacement guarantees for this or that, improvements, including contracts. Including one from the original owner, from an infestation contractor that was bought up by Terminix, as well as a certified, notarized letter declaring that Terminix will honor the original contract. It's for complete affected area replacement at whatever prevailing rates may be, including if need be, the entire structure if the owner is not satisfied, and...a cap on yearly cost increases. What a find! :D

Terminex sends me mailings year-round about this and that deal which will improve my life. They used to con me into sitting home for bi-yearly inspections, tried to sell me lawn treatments and such, but gave up.

One of life's rare victories!  :lol:

683794[/snapback]

:blush::angry: You go!

They just picked the wrong man to deal with... I betchca a picture of you is in their training manual... Chapter 13: The Impossible Sell-The Patron From Hell... When to cut your loss and move to the more willing...

:lol:

I can't believe noone understood the silverback gorilla reference.

683736[/snapback]

Who the hell is Noone? How do you know he (or she) understood the reference, and why is it so unbelievable?

:blush:  :angry:  You go!

They just picked the wrong man to deal with... I betchca a picture of you is in their training manual... Chapter 13: The Impossible Sell-The Patron From Hell... When to cut your loss and move to the more willing...

:lol:

683800[/snapback]

They once wanted to install the recent big thing - those green -colored bait spikes - for a small fee, extolling their many advantages. I said, well, if it's a good thing and will protect you and me from a problem, ok, but I'm not paying.

They never installed 'em. I offer them access to the rafters, and tell 'em if they want to bust the plaster to check, go right ahead. Never took the offer.

I'm not the wrong man to deal with; I just have a piece of paper from H*ll... :lol:

PS: Not just termites - if it walks, flies, swims, runs for Congress, whatever, they gotta pay. :D

They once wanted to install the recent big thing - those green -colored bait spikes - for a small fee, extolling their many advantages. I said, well, if it's a good thing and will protect you and me from a problem, ok, but I'm not paying.

They never installed 'em. I offer them access to the rafters, and tell 'em if they want to bust the plaster to check, go right ahead. Never took the offer. 

I'm not the wrong man to deal with; I just have a piece of paper from H*ll... :blush:

683819[/snapback]

Heeeheeee... The good ole days of writing a contract. More power to ya!

:angry:

I don't know how "new" this is, but has anybody heard of the pest control system they're installing in new construction that consists of a small "tube" running through the exterior walls of the house (it's about the diameter of speaker wire) that leads to a connection on the outside of the house. Supposedly, the pest guy comes to your house, attaches a device to the exterior connection, and "shoots" the chemicals into the tube, creating a barrier of pest control.

They're putting the system in the house we're building right now...it looks neat, but I don't know if I'll pay for the service unless I notice any pest problems.

Yes I know Google Jack and tried it before I posted- gee thanks. What do I sound like- some crazy, annoying fat girl named Sue or something? The ants are all over my cabinets where I keep my dishes. I am gonna call an exterminator tomorrow AM but was looking for alternative solutions. Cheers!

Yes I know Google Jack and tried it before I posted- gee thanks.  What do I sound like- some crazy, annoying fat girl named Sue or something?  The ants are all over my cabinets where I keep my dishes.  I am gonna call an exterminator tomorrow AM but was looking for alternative solutions.  Cheers!

684132[/snapback]

Alternative?

Get one of those fondu chocolate factory thingy's... I heard chocolate covered ants make a tasty treat?

:lol::lol: