OFFICIAL NFL DRAFT DAY 2006 THREAD!

sven233

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Max Jean-Gilles still available? He'd be a solid pick in round 3.

676404[/snapback]

I agree........that is who I would take here. Not sure what the Bills feel about his conditioning though.....But, that is my guy at this spot.

I actually heard very good things about Youboty.  Should have been a 2nd rounder.  What are we....OSU north?  Anyway, they really want to shore up the D because that's the quickest way to win now.

676449[/snapback]

Me too...but come on......no O-Line on the eniter first day?

What is it with the Bills and Ohio State secondary? I'm not complaining about the success we have had, but they are obviously saying that Nate is gone next year.

Youboty??? WTF????????????  :o

676435[/snapback]

Relax we still have another pick in the third round where we finally can address the offensive line......um nevermind.

:D

Seriously though I friggin give up at this point. If they had taken an offensive lineman at this point the whole day might have made some sense, but I guess with the Texans taking the best two that were left off the board that it was back to the old Best Player Available. Look at the bright side our secondary can car pool to homecoming together.

Me to...but come on......no O-Line on the eniter first day?

676461[/snapback]

I guess they didn't want to take some fat slug that would take 2 years to develop. The good one's were gone. Seems like the Bills want guys that could be ready to play in 2006 and make an impact.

What is it with the Bills and Ohio State secondary?  I'm not complaining about the success we have had, but they are obviously saying that Nate is gone next year.

676461[/snapback]

Maybe the message is that Nate will be gone very, very soon by way of a trade? Maybe one for a lineman.

I wasnt big on taking a TE early but Leonard Pope would have been a nice pick for the Bills there too

Youboty is a good value pick in the 3rd round, think he was rated as a second rounder

Clements, McGee and Youboty coming in the nickel is a nice combination

I actually heard very good things about Youboty.  Should have been a 2nd rounder.  What are we....OSU north?  Anyway, they really want to shore up the D because that's the quickest way to win now.

676449[/snapback]

Sorry, but the "win now" mentality gets you BEAT now, and down ther road. You build methodically

Maybe the message is that Nate will be gone very, very soon by way of a trade?  Maybe one for a lineman.

676499[/snapback]

If that was the case, I think it would have already happened.......maybe not, but depending on who the lineman would be, I would definately consider it!

What is it with the Bills and Ohio State secondary?  I'm not complaining about the success we have had, but they are obviously saying that Nate is gone next year.

676461[/snapback]

Because 3rd Rounders automatically start in their second year...

Because 3rd Rounders automatically start in their second year...

676526[/snapback]

Not saying that, but with this much focus on the secondary, to me, it says Nate won't be here much longer. If he is, great.....but it looks like they are looking into the future with this pic and I am not sure that it includes Nate.

Well, that looks like it will be it for Day 1. Overall, I think we did well. I think that we are far stronger on defense now and it would be nice to see us still get a quality O-Linemen with our 4th rounder. Hope we have a good day tomorrow!

Well, that looks like it will be it for Day 1.  Overall, I think we did well.  I think that we are far stronger on defense now and it ouls be nice to see us still get a quality O-Linemen with our 4th rounder.  Hope we have a good day tomorrow!

676616[/snapback]

I'm with you Sven. I think we did alright today, and tomorrow is another day with plenty of picks, and still plenty of good O'Lineman to be had.. :lol:

Not saying that, but with this much focus on the secondary, to me, it says Nate won't be here much longer.  If he is, great.....but it looks like they are looking into the future with this pic and I am not sure that it includes Nate.

676539[/snapback]

Well, in this day and age in the NFL you need two safeties and three good corners to take to the games on Sunday. I see no reason why the Bills wouldn't want Clements, McGee, and Yobouty - so long as Clements doesn't continue to regress this year.

JDG

Our DEFENSE is solid now. I know we may have not made the most popular picks with a lot of people, but we drafted quality players on Day 1.

Here is what we have (in terms of Starters) as of the end of Day 1 of the draft:

DEFENSE

DE - Kelsay: Here is a guy that did show improvement last year. I thought we would get a little more out of him last year than we did after watching training camp and the preseason, but he really started to improve last year. Besides, he really didn't have any help in the middle last year. This year, with Tripplet and McCargo, we got 2 guys that are quick and can create a new line of scrimmage. This will in turn help Kelsay progress nicely. He is not an All-Pro, probably never will be, but I like the fit for this defense.

DE - Schobel: Had another productive year last year. Quietly, he is a solid playmaker and showed that he can make plays on his own. There is no reason to think that his play will get nothing but better as time goes on. He is coming into his prime and I expect another solid year from him this year. He is easily one of our most consistant players on defense and will make a lot of plays for us this year,

DT - Larry Tripplet: A new type of DT than we are used to around here. Both he and McCargo are very quick and athletic and that is what this new defensive scheme is all about. While he will not clog up the middle of the defensive line, he will create a new line of scrimmage beating a lot of centers and guards. He may not have a lot of tackles, but that will not be his job. He will put pressure on the backs and force them to change direction in the backfield. He will force them to change direction right into our aggressive, fast, and hard hitting linebackers. All in all, he, along with the rest of the defensive line will force plays to happen more quickly which plays right into the hands of our fantastic LB core and our aggressive and fast secondary.

DT- McCargo: See Tripplet. Very similar in style. We are not going to plug up the middle to stop the run, but rather stop the run in waves.....He, long with Tripplet will get penatration and force the play right into our linebackers hands.

LB - Spikes: We all know that, when healthy, is one of the top 3 linebackers in the league. Perfect for this defense if he comes back 100%. With his desire and work ethic, there is no reason to doubt that this is possible.

LB - Fletcher: Our most consistant LB. He is just a tackling machine. No reason to doubt that he will have another big year.

LB - Crowell: I think he is better than Posey and will find himself starting this year. He showed improvement every game he played last year and is very athletic. I think he is a good fit for this fast, athletic, and aggressive style of defense.

CB - McGee: Might be the best all around player on the team. He is a solid #2 corner and has playmaking ability. He might just be the best corner on the team this year! I know he gets burned once in a while, but he is a guy that will get better every snap. He is a game changer with his spped and aggressive approach!

CB - Clements: Say what you want about him. He does get toasted at times. But at other times, he is a gamebreaker! All corners do get beat, and he had his share of moments last year, but I expect him to bounce back with a solid year. He is a gamebreaker when he plays him game and a true shutdown corner, most of the time. Too bad it will probably be his last year in Buffalo because I really think this new defense will play to his strengths. I believe his replacement was drafted today in Youboty. He is a first round talent that we picked up in the 3rd. He will play nickle this year and complete one of the best, if not the best, trio of CBs in the league!

FS - Vincent: Here is where I believe our biggest weakness is on defense. He has lost a step and it was quite notable last year. However, I believe with this new defense, that weakness might be covered up a little bit due to the fact that that our opponents might have to make quicker decisions which will allow Vincent to keep up. Also, he is a leader back there and a smart player. He might not be the best player we have on defense, but I think he will be good enough.

SS - Whitner: A younger, stronger, faster version of Laywer Milloy. That is the way London Fletcher described him in his press conference today. He is a guy and film rat. His work ethic is second to none according to Fletcher, Spikes and others on this defense. He has a winning attitude that puts the team first. Yeah, he is a rookie and will make mistakes. But he is a playmaker and will make this team better. He will improve the SS position. Yes.....I said he will improve it over Lawyer Milloy. With 4.36 speed and a 40" vertical jump, he more than makes up for his lack of size. He is good in run support and can cover TEs and WRs (slot guys). He is a hard hitting, sure tackler. Think a younger version of Lawyer Milloy or even a safety version of Winfield. He will make plays for us this year and is perfect for this new fast, aggressive style of defense!

Well, that is my review of our 2006-2007 defense. I will give you my offensive projections tomorrow after the draft is complete!!!

Let's get ready for Day 2 of the draft in just about 11 hours!

Not going to post a lot about the activities today, and i am not going to say i agree with what transpired... but the moves made today were football moves... and while not popular now, the dividends will be shown in the next two-three years. One interesting note is that all our picks so far were juniors. If they each went back for the senior years and continued to evolve, each player, would have had a much higher draft value in the future. I think this is a draft class we will be happy with in the future, if we are looking longterm and not shortterm.

SS - Whitner:  A younger, stronger, faster version of Laywer Milloy.  That is the way London Fletcher described him in his press conference today.  He is a guy and film rat. 

677260[/snapback]

Thank God he's a guy... broads don't tackle well because those funbags get in the way. :lol: