Bills sign OG Tutan Reyes

I totalled up the "mistakes" for last years starting line vs. this years.

Last year's starting line:

Gandy

Anderson

Teague

Villarrial

M. Williams

In 67 total starts between them, they totalled:

- 24 penalties for 176 yards lost

- 21.5 sacks for 177.5 yards lost

This year's starting line:

Gandy

Reyes

Fowler

Villarrial

Peters

In 66 total starts between them, they totalled:

- 17 penalties for 134 yards lost

- 14.5 sacks for 113.5 yards lost

Not a bad improvement at all. Considering Gandy had 7 penalties and 7 sacks himself, we could really be cooking if we found a replacement for him.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totalled up the "mistakes" for last years starting line vs. this years. 

Last year's starting line:

Gandy

Anderson

Teague

Villarrial

M. Williams

In 67 total starts between them, they totalled:

- 24 penalties for 176 yards lost

- 21.5 sacks for 177.5 yards lost

This year's starting line:

Gandy

Reyes

Fowler

Villarrial

Peters

In 66 total starts between them, they totalled:

- 17 penalties for 134 yards lost

- 14.5 sacks for 113.5 yards lost

Not a bad improvement at all.  Considering Gandy had 7 penalties and 7 sacks himself, we could really be cooking if we found a replacement for him.

672277[/snapback]

Good post and it does show Gandy needs to go and that position needs an upgrade.

Well, what I meant was, we still need to draft two guards, imo.  I still hope to never see a Bills line with Reyes starting.

672246[/snapback]

Dude wtf are you talking about? Are there some plays you saw where he was completely blown off the ball in a crucial situation or something? Either let us in on your information or get in line with the group that complains about all Bill's signings.

Dude wtf are you talking about? Are there some plays you saw where he was completely blown off the ball in a crucial situation or something? Either let us in on your information or get in line with the group that complains about all Bill's signings.

672284[/snapback]

Amen to that. Like I said previously he is a great aquisition.

672284[/snapback]

You actually think he noticed Reyes' play last year and that's why he doesn't think he should start? I doubt he'd even heard of Reyes before the Bills brought him in a few weeks ago. I doubt anybody here can really speak to how good or bad he is...all most of us know is that he CAN'T be worse than Benny.

672284[/snapback]

I gotta agree with 34 here.....

Why are we knocking Tuten Reyes when he came off of a successful line with playoff experience.....

It’s been explained to me that the Panthers liked Reyes and thought he was decent last season. They just believe he’s reached his ceiling as a player while there is considerable upside in their minds with Mathis their third round pick last year out of Alabama.

672247[/snapback]

So the Panthers used their third round pick last year on a guard, while TD used his on a speedy TE. The Panthers are so pleased with what they've seen from their pick that they're willing to part ways with a decent veteran starter. Interesting.

Edit: I've also noticed that the speedy TE TD drafted has slipped to 3rd or 4th on the depth chart. While Carolina fans are enjoying improved play at OG, Bills fans will have to make do with the sight of Everett on the bench.

all most of us know is that he CAN'T be worse than Benny.

672288[/snapback]

Actually, Scouts Inc. grades out Reyes lower than Bennie Anderson.

Here's some info from a thread a little while back:

>>>Scouts Inc. gives him a grade of 65. They give Bennie Anderson a 72, so I'm a little worried about Reyes being an upgrade.

Here are their respective scounting reports:

Tutan Reyes

2006 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 65 | Key

Alert: None

Comment:

Shows good body control at times, possesses adequate agility and flashes the ability to adjust to the moving target at the second level. As a pass blocker, keeps feet moving, has good lateral mobility and flashes the ability to redirect inside after starting outside. Lacks prototypical size, won't engulf many defenders at the point of attack and won't wear many defenders down over the course of the game. Lacks the lower body strength to regularly push the pile in the running game and struggles when massive two-gap defenders line up over head. While has above-average range doesn't always stay under control in space, loses balance far too often and is an inconsistent downfield blocker.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bennie Anderson

2006 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 72 | Key

Alert: None

Comment:

He is a nasty player that is very physical at the point of attack and undersized interior defenders are a mismatch against him. He is a mauler with the ability to move the pile and create seams, even vs. the premier two gap defenders. As a pass protector, Anderson displays the ability to react to what he sees and has a nice feel for picking up stunts (well, there goes any credibility Scouts Inc had ) and recognizing the blitz. He can handle any defender of equal size and bulk to his own and can really anchor the point vs. the league's best bull rushers. However, Anderson does not possess great overall athletic ability and his agility is hampered by his weight. He is not in great condition and would really benefit from losing twenty pounds. He lacks initial quickness off the football and as a result, he struggles to get to the second level. <<<

I have watched every Panther game for the past 5 years. Carolina had some serious issues running the rock this season. Reyes is better than what we have, but he isn't a difference maker. I wouldn't get too excited.

Reyes is not the answer. There is a reason that rightup says he will need to move to the left side and he will compete for the job. Means, he isn't that good, he knows it, the Bills know it, and they still list fat Bennie as the starter for a reason. This is true of other positions where Royals, Bowens, Tripplet, Peerless who were also signed have already been tagged first string.

Reyes may wind up winning the job, but right now it's still Andersons.

I'll be honest, I thought Anderson was a good signing last year too. After all, he had been one of the blockers for Jamal Lewis' 2100-yard season. That isn't to say that Reyes will be a similar bust -- or that he isn't a good acquisition. I guess I'm just saying that we'll have to wait and see...

I'm still almost as psyched as when Nall got signed.

New signing? Just before draft weekend, too.

Double, Whoo Hoo.

Call me again after game four, regular season. I don't have a pre-season opinion that much either way. Even though it's the new improved American Idol football, I'd still in my own old fashioned mindset would like to look at it as a team sport. ANOTHER new team I'll spot four real games to. Get your bearings. After that, I'll get critical again.

But, I also know I have no real football knowledge, nor right to an opinion. I can only imagine the carnage come Sunday. Damn, what should we do if Cutler is on the board? Chew my nails...

The world wonders. (Anyone get the Taffy Six reference?)

I have watched every Panther game for the past 5 years. Carolina had some serious issues running the rock this season. Reyes is better than what we have, but he isn't a difference maker. I wouldn't get too excited.

B-) Foster average 4.3 YPC, which is what he averaged in 2004 and better than he averaged in 2003.

Reyes is not the answer.  There is a reason that rightup says he will need to move to the left side and he will compete for the job.  Means, he isn't that good, he knows it, the Bills know it, and they still list fat Bennie as the starter for a reason.  This is true of other positions where Royals, Bowens, Tripplet, Peerless who were also signed have already been tagged first string.

Reyes may wind up winning the job, but right now it's still Andersons.

672304[/snapback]

It couldn't have anything to do with the fact it happened a couple hours ago....

I doubt Reyes is going to the pro bowl, but I also doubt he is worse than Anderson. Just my hunch.

672284[/snapback]

Calm down, and a get a life. Don't be so sensitive when someone doesn't kowtow to a free agent signing. I didn't even bash Reyes, I said he was good depth. He's just not the drive blocker we're looking for in a starter. I don't know if you have the NFC championship game recorded, but if you do, watch it and pay attention to who was particularly dominated along the Panther line by Seattle. It was Reyes. Most Panthers fans, and I know a few, consider him to be the weak link of last year's line.

LOL at the idiot who called this a great signing. He's good depth, a shaky starter, nothing more. Ask yourself how this "great" player was available to us at this time when literaly all the other young prime free agents were snapped up weeks ago with the possible exception of LArrington.

I'll go ahead and answer my own question since you idiots won't be able to figure out. He's not that good. With very few exceptions, good free agents get signed early.

If he ends up being a good starter for us, then by all means, call me out on it. LOL. What a bunch of ridiculous pu$$ies you guys are. I'll stop being "mean" to Reyes now.

It couldn't have anything to do with the fact it happened a couple hours ago....

I doubt Reyes is going to the pro bowl, but I also doubt he is worse than Anderson.  Just my hunch.

672315[/snapback]

Except he is already in the depth chart and listed as third string behind Preston. I could see if he wasn;t even there, but to have it listed as "3rd String" means something.

And BTW, Anderson may not be a probowler but he is a lot better then folks here give him credit for.

Okay Ozzy, I looked at the gamebook of the Carolina-Seattle game. Here's what I found of the Panthers' running game, by direction and yards (and Goings was the RB for most of the carries, with Jamal Robertson for the last few):

Left: 0, 15 (during their final drive, in garbage time)

Center: 2, -2, 0

Right: 2, 0, 2, 2

So basically it was 1-0 going left, 3-0 going up the middle, and 4-6 going right. Not really a great effort ACROSS the line, meaning you'd have to impugn the excellent Mike Wahle who played LG.

And the LDT, who would line up across mostly from Reyes at RG, was Chartic Darby, who registered TWO assisted tackles and that's it. By comparison, Rocky Bernard, who played RDT and went against Wahle, had 2 sacks.

B-) Foster average 4.3 YPC, which is what he averaged in 2004 and better than he averaged in 2003.

672313[/snapback]

Foster has never been their primary running back, they run by commitee down here and Davis was always the number one guy. Since the Superbowl they have been on the decline.