Bills sign OG Tutan Reyes

I don't think I was referring to you or anyone who didn't attack me first just because I called Reyes good depth.

672348[/snapback]

Sensitive much? Dont' get your panties in a bunch. It's a damn message board. Everyone settle down. There's no reason to insult someone else cause they disagree with you.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First everyone complains cause Marv didn't sign any Linemen, Now that he signs some, they are not good enough.

Maybe marv wants to put a decent team on the field so he figures the less rookies the team relies on to have to start a position, the better. If we have to draft a player for the starting lineup, it is not good. A rookie cannot be expected to just step in and be a productive player, it takes a little time. Maybe Marv would rather have a veteran start the year at that position and have the rookie take over the spot later in the year?

Although I'm happy with the signing, I vehemently disagree withe the "Draft Needs Reduced" headline on BB.com.

If Carolina didn't re-sign a 7-year vet because they believe their third round pick of a year ago, Evan Mathis, is ready to assume a starting role at guard, what does that say about Reyes?  I still want the Bills to grab one of those 2nd round OG's--Joseph, Lutui or Spencer--on Saturday.

672403[/snapback]

What it seems to say based on their unwillingness to resign him for what the market would give him and several factual occurences last year and the word (rumors) from the Panthers and their fans is:

1. He was quite productive at G last year as Carolina was a winner and the word os they were already high on Mathis and wanted to play him but did not make the switch because they were winning with Reyes playing guard and playing it productively.

2. Mathis provides them with a guy they think is working his way quickly up to starter level pay and he gives them a huge cap advantage even with his slotted contract )with loe or prorated base pay) while they market for Reys as giving him a substantial raise.

In the end, Reyes is a substantial improvement for the Bills because we were not satisfied at all with our LG play last year. I think it is quite foolish to argue otherwise.

However, does this mean that even though Reyes is certainly an upgrade that he will also be an adequate starter for us at LG?

Likely the answer is yes he will be an adequate starter as he played well enough a a starter for a productive Carolina O last year, though it was at RG last year he has played LG before and at 7 years of play he is at about his prime as an athlete and having relatively little erar and tear early in his career and starting a full 16 ;ast year ir is not unreasonable at all to hope/expect he will at least be adequate as a starter.

Again however, does this mean he will be better than adequate and actually a very good LG?

The answer strikes me as possible but doubtful. After 7 years a player is usually at his athletic peak and the though experience may allow him to decline slowly and be solid for years, it is unlikely he will improve much beyond his current play which was good enough to keep the well-regarded Mathis on the bench. However, the fact that Carolina let him go and went with Mathis confirms that he likely has little upside to grow beyond his current level of being a productive starter.

I guess (as we all do) the bottom line is this:

1. Reyes is visualized by the Bills braintrust as having good potential to be a starter. However, our OL needs talent and if they get a chance to draft a top uuard with other needs taken care of they will go guard.

2. However, the acquisition of Reyes really lowers our need for more G helo and if the choice comes down between a G and another need position at SS, DT, or OL, all things being close to equal the Bills will take the other equivalent talent rather than the G.

3, One of the primary benefits that Reyes offers is that he can play RG where he was for Carolina, LG where we need help as he has played this position before and even C which is talked about as part of his espertise. While he can be replaced if a stud LG is on the board and no DT, SS, or other OT is available and Reyes can move to create competition at C, his acquisition really lowers the chance we will draft a G on the first day or two overall.

If someone has a crystal ball and want to suggest which stud G will be available AND we have no need or ability to improve things at DT, SS or oOT, then do so. However it looks really doubtful all these events will occur at the same time and I suspect all of them will have to be the case for us to pick 2 Gs in this draft or even pick a G on the first day.

Guest BackInDaDay
A few weeks back, I'd noticed an element of pessimism creeping into your posts.  I hope this recent turn towards optimism proves justified.

672514[/snapback]

I love the game of football, every level, but the skills of NFL players and coaches are without peer. I think Fairchild has a workable offensive plan, and it's only limited by the amount of O-line talent we go to war with and McNally's coaching.

A wider style will benefit our QB (especially Losman), our RB, and our WRs. It's lateral movement could enable an agile O-line to open seams for the running game and offer varied protection schemes for a mobile QB. If opponents are intent on rotating people to our flanks to defend our speed, we can exploit them by taking them there and coming back inside. Same with our passing attack. Routes run against the grain to the inside will keep CBs from pressing and Safeties from rolling coverage out.

It's what Mularkey/Clements might have been able to work out last season if their relationship hadn't soured under the stress of an over-bearing owner and his slick GM.

My pessimism for this team begins and ends in our owner's ability to do the following:

- Authorize Levy to aggressively seek the best personnel Jauron needs to build a contending team.

- Stop meddling in football matters during the season.

Good to hear from you, Arm. Keep the faith. :blink:

Sensitive much? Dont' get your panties in a bunch. It's a damn message board. Everyone settle down. There's no reason to insult someone else cause they disagree with you.

672555[/snapback]

Of course there is you moronic half-witted excuse for a closet Phins fan.

:blink:

Well, what I meant was, we still need to draft two guards, imo.  I still hope to never see a Bills line with Reyes starting.

672246[/snapback]

Man, you're high

I'd be glad to have reyes starting this season. Even if we draft a G in rd #2 or #3 odds are he won;t be a capable consistent starter for 2-3 years.

I'll go ahead and answer my own question since you idiots won't be able to figure out.  He's not that good.  With very few exceptions, good free agents get signed early.

If he ends up being a good starter for us, then by all means, call me out on it.  LOL.  What a bunch of ridiculous pu$$ies you guys are.  I'll stop being "mean" to Reyes now.

672322[/snapback]

LMAO, ok Ozy, we're a bunch of rediculous pu$$ies.....

if a player can beat out reyes for the starting position at G great, but at this point Reyes is a big upgrade over Anderson

but MAYBE...just maybe this signing allows the bills to be "ok or better" at that position and allows us to address another area were we flat out SUCK

Its called team balance......

672377[/snapback]

You see Brother, this is where I disagree. Deep down, all of us (well, almost ;) ) felt the same way for the last 2 seasons when Lower tier UFAs were ushered in, and in other seasons before that.

Did signing Panos lessen our need to draft a young, stud OG? NO!!!

Did signing CV lessen our need to draft a young, stud OG? NO!!!

Did signing Anderson lessen our need to draft a young, stud OG? Oh !@#$ NO!

Will Reyes? I hardly think so, although I do think he will be an upgrade.

Is he going to be like Hutchinson? I doubt it. Hutch flew off the table for 50 million dollars and Reyes was scooped up 2 days before the draft.

If we are going to EVER be a winner, we cannot rely on 2nd tier UFA OGs (or for that matter, OTs) to get us over the top.

History should tell us all that it is simply not possible.

Tomorrow is the day to break the sickening trend of using our most precious resources little people and gadget players. :lol:

Do it Marv, one time for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

I'll go ahead and answer my own question since you idiots won't be able to figure out.  He's not that good.  With very few exceptions, good free agents get signed early.

If he ends up being a good starter for us, then by all means, call me out on it.  LOL.  What a bunch of ridiculous pu$$ies you guys are.  I'll stop being "mean" to Reyes now.

672322[/snapback]

Thanks Oz. I would love to talk to you some more, but I am going to go quiver in the corner, like a ridiculous TSW pu$$y.

Later Bro!

Lutui has his own level of fatness. This guys belly & man boobs finished the 40 yard dash 1 second earlier than the rest of him. I'd still love to see him in the 2nd round when we pick.

672417[/snapback]

I know, this guy has some serious man cans.

Scout's Inc.

Reyes is very agile and has a quick first step. He is explosive with his hands and delivers a good initial punch. He takes good angles to his blocks. He can play guard or center. He is intelligent and easily handles stunts and twists inside. He usually is in good position. He has decent upper-body strength and can get movement when he has an angle block. He can mirror and slide and reset his feet in pass protection. He can work up to the second level but has difficulty sustaining contact on a moving target. He lacks the bulk and strength to anchor against a strong bull rush. He can be knocked back into the pocket. He has trouble with quick one-gap penetrators. He plays with a narrow base and doesn't finish blocks well. He occasionally loses his feet and fails to follow through.

672168[/snapback]

Thanks for the report.

Does anyone else get the voices of Statler and Waldorf (old Muppets in the balcony) in their head when they read scouting reports written this way?

I start out thinking "He's our savior!" "A Great player!" "Well, he's pretty good." "He's very average." "He's not that good." "He's terrible!" "Why did we sign this bum!" :blink:

i agree that we need to draft some stud young Gs and hope they work out (my personal best case is we trade down 1 or 2 times and just shotgun at all the best bigmen prospects. some HAVE to workout, and each one that does gives us something we haven't had in years).

i think this thread is putting too much emphasis on starting linemen, you need AT LEAST 8 guys who can play, and one or two of you studs will be riding pine for at least a few games.

i think it might be a mistake to have stars on your line at the expense of having more quality guys.

orlando pace alone can't help the back up RG who can't see the blitz, new england philly GB for years and pitts all have depth and quality.

a REALLY good draft might help us with that this year.

i like this signing because this guy is a top 8 lineman on most NFL teams and we need a whole bunch of guys

Man, you're high

I'd be glad to have reyes starting this season. Even if we draft a G in rd #2 or #3 odds are he won;t be a capable consistent starter for 2-3 years.

672611[/snapback]

I actually agree with this guy, but hear me out.

I hope I never have to see a line with Reyes, or Hutchinson, or Bently starting for the bills too, cause if they can't make our team playing the line, it must be pretty damn good (I know, Reyes doesn't compare to Hutch or Bentley, but it was part of my point)

Thanks Oz. I would love to talk to you some more, but I am going to go quiver in the corner, like a ridiculous TSW pu$$y.

Later Bro!

672672[/snapback]

Bill, don't quiver in the corner. Be proud of your strength as a TSW pu--y :blink:

If we are going to EVER be a winner, we cannot rely on 2nd tier UFA OGs (or for that matter, OTs) to get us over the top.

672669[/snapback]

Gotta agree in this instance. That's why today's Buffalo News article is so discouraging:

The signing of Reyes takes guard off the Bills' list of prime draft needs. When the Bills make the 42nd overall pick early in the second round, they would have the chance to draft the first- or second-best guard available, perhaps USC road grader Deuce Lutui. That's not likely now.

Gotta agree in this instance.  That's why today's Buffalo News article is so discouraging:

The signing of Reyes takes guard off the Bills' list of prime draft needs. When the Bills make the 42nd overall pick early in the second round, they would have the chance to draft the first- or second-best guard available, perhaps USC road grader Deuce Lutui. That's not likely now.

672757[/snapback]

If one of those guys like Joseph is available in the 2nd or Spencer/Duece in the 3rd they better take him anyway. This shouldn't stop the need, especially because it's still a need and probably the BPA.

If one of those guys like Joseph is available in the 2nd or Spencer/Duece in the 3rd they better take him anyway. This shouldn't stop the need, especially because it's still a need and probably the BPA.

672767[/snapback]

I hope the talk about the OG need being filled is just more smokescreen. Joseph has the potential to be much more than adequate, IMO, which is all Reyes will ever be.

Tomorrow's gonna' be really interesting as we'll finally get to see what Marv's plan for re-structuring the team is. I hope it involves building a solid base of linemen in the first three rounds.

You see Brother, this is where I disagree. Deep down, all of us (well, almost  :blink: ) felt the same way for the last 2 seasons when Lower tier UFAs were ushered in, and in other seasons before that.

Did signing Panos lessen our need to draft a young, stud OG? NO!!!

Did signing CV lessen our need to draft a young, stud OG?  NO!!!

Did signing Anderson lessen our need to draft a young, stud OG? Oh !@#$ NO!

Will Reyes? I hardly think so, although I do think he will be an upgrade.

672669[/snapback]

I completely agree with this post. I'd love to see the Bills take at least two offensive linemen in the first day of the draft. I wouldn't exactly complain if they took three!