Bills sign OG Tutan Reyes

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry, but I didn't see that press conference , where they said Anderson was worse.  In fact what I heard was Reyes said he was not the starter but would have a chance to try to become one, and that the Bills would like him to compete for the LG position. 

Usually when a "big" FA is signed they are pretty much told it is their job.  The Bills depth chart and everything being said, means Reyes is a backup.

Oh and just to add on, the rumor is they really want him to push for RT and be the starter there.  What's that tell you about Peters?

673017[/snapback]

It tells me they want Peters to transition to LT.

I will bet you $5 Bennie is cut, how's that?

PFW asks associate editor Jeff Reynolds for his take on the NFL’s hottest topics.

Buffalo fills need with OG Reyes

Buffalo signed unrestricted free agent Tutan Reyes, who is likely to become the starter at left guard. Reyes started the past two years for the Panthers. Reyes, a fifth-round pick to the Saints in 2000, also visited with Detroit and Houston.

PFW: How does the Reyes signing impact the Bills’ draft plans?

Reynolds: Buffalo must still address the offensive line. Mike Gandy isn’t a starting-caliber left tackle and the talent level across the front five is adequate at best. Carolina could afford to let Reyes go; the Panthers drafted Evan Mathis in the third round last year and plan to plug him in next to free-agent signee Justin Hartwig.

Reyes can play left or right guard. He’s an upgrade over Bennie Anderson, the massive left guard who struggles on the hoof and to adjust vs. speed and quickness. Reyes, a 6-3, 310-pounder, was a college teammate of Todd Wade’s at Mississippi and underachieved at times. He played at less than 300 pounds in college but hasn’t lost the athleticism or quick feet that made him a draftable prospect.

He can be pushed back and doesn’t stonewall a bull rush, but he has high football intelligence, understands angles and can adjust on the move. With Reyes and Anderson competing for time and Chris Villarrial at right guard, the Bills should be improved on the interior line. Addressing the OT position remains a necessity in the draft, perhaps with the 42nd overall pick in Saturday’s draft.

The better news might be that even if this guy turns out to be tackle depth instead of OG starting material for us, we can get rid of the dreadful Greg Jerman.

673028[/snapback]

Who's worse? Jerman or MacFarland? The MacFarland I've seen isn't even good enough to be a turnstile...more like a lazy susan.

Who's worse? Jerman or MacFarland? The MacFarland I've seen isn't even good enough to be a turnstile...more like a lazy susan.

673052[/snapback]

I'm not sure. McFarland thus far seems like nothing special, but so far he's pretty much been practice squad fodder, which scares me far less than Jerman starting as a fill-in.

Not much word about Geisinger either. We'll have to see what these dudes do in camp.

On which end?  I am shocked there are posters who think Bennie's spot on the roster is safe...

673072[/snapback]

There's a big difference between not starting and not being on the roster. Since he's already under contract and we'd only only save about 30% of his cap hit by cutting him (and we're not cap-constrained). Why wouldn't we want to keep him as a backup? At this point, I don't see any indication that Duke is more prepared to step in at LG.

Per Clumping Platelet's Cap Page:

Salary

$1.5 Mil

Cap Hit

$2.0 Mil

Est Savings (if cut)

$0.68 Mil

There's a big difference between not starting and not being on the roster.    Since he's already under contract and we'd only only save about 30% of his cap hit by cutting him (and we're not cap-constrained).  Why wouldn't we want to keep him as a backup?  At this point, I don't see any indication that Duke is more prepared to step in at LG.

Salary

$1.5 Mil

Cap Hit

$2.0 Mil

Est Savings (if cut)

$0.68 Mil

673095[/snapback]

I say we make him our pass-catching TE for that kind of $$$.

There's a big difference between not starting and not being on the roster.    Since he's already under contract and we'd only only save about 30% of his cap hit by cutting him (and we're not cap-constrained).  Why wouldn't we want to keep him as a backup?  At this point, I don't see any indication that Duke is more prepared to step in at LG.

Salary

$1.5 Mil

Cap Hit

$2.0 Mil

Est Savings (if cut)

$0.68 Mil

673095[/snapback]

How many guards is this squad gonna carry?

Bennie

Preston

Geisenger

Reyes

Villarial

*draftee*

*draftee2?*

When it's close in terms of ability, you go with the younger guy - meaning Preston over Bennie, obviously. I guess it's possible that Geisenger will be cut, they don't draft or sign any other guards, and they're left with Reyes, Villarial, Preston and Bennie - but I don't see it.

Bennie

Preston

Geisenger

Reyes

Villarial

*draftee*

*draftee2?*

When it's close in terms of ability, you go with the younger guy - meaning Preston over Bennie, obviously.  I guess it's possible that Geisenger will be cut, they don't draft or sign any other guards, and they're left with Reyes, Villarial, Preston and Bennie - but I don't see it.

673109[/snapback]

Geisinger is at C now, but I agree with what you're saying. And if we do take a Joseph at #2, Villarial better show up for training camp cause if he still looks washed-up & hurt like last year, he could be following Fat Bennie out the door & the starters could be Joseph & Reyes, with the Duke at back-up.

Bennie

Preston

Geisenger

Reyes

Villarial

*draftee*

*draftee2?*

When it's close in terms of ability, you go with the younger guy - meaning Preston over Bennie, obviously.  I guess it's possible that Geisenger will be cut, they don't draft or sign any other guards, and they're left with Reyes, Villarial, Preston and Bennie - but I don't see it.

673109[/snapback]

Well, add center to that list and you're only adding one more name (Fowler) to cover three positions. If the Bills draft two guards and a center, you could be right. But, I'm not convinced that will happen (I wish it would). I know we have a lot of bodies, but BA started last year and is healthy. I'm not convinced he'll be the odd man out. (I'd guess Geisenger to PS.)

Also, I'm not convinced Villareal is 100% or ever will be. I think this may be a key determinant of our success this year.

Geisinger is at C now, but I agree with what you're saying. And if we do take a Joseph at #2, Villarial better show up for training camp cause if he still looks washed-up & hurt like last year, he could be following Fat Bennie out the door & the starters could be Joseph & Reyes, with the Duke at back-up.

673115[/snapback]

Everyone seems to be thinking that Reyes would be taking over for Anderson but IMO, Villarial might be the one losing out here. He had a rough year last year and was brought in prior to McNally. Mouse might be trying to form his own style line and CV might be the odd man out here, since I believe he is the only OLineman left prior to McNally joining the staff.

Just a thought, plus his cap number actually gives the Bills a bit more flexibility down the road if he is cut somewhere along the way here. I still believe the Bills go Defense with the first pick unless D'Brick is there, then look to the OL in round two and/or three.

To add to what Flomoe say, BA was a RT.  maybe the goal is to move him back to his natural position, where pulling, etc.. are less of a need.  Where we go with his strength which is pile driving folks.

673138[/snapback]

The thought of Bennie Anderson playing right tackle is HORRIFYING.