The pin to burst your bubble

PromoTheRobot

I live in New England so I see the Patsies play every week. There is a great deal of denial, either from unfamiliarity, or just wishful thinking, about how good they really are. The fact is New England is the best-coached team in the league, with a QB who sees all of the field and rarely makes mistakes bad enough to lose a game. Their defense may give up yards in the midfield, but are very stout in the red zone, with a fantastic turnover ratio.

And you have the Bills who have a pretty good defense, yet still give up the big play. And an offense that...well, let's just say we have an offense. The only way the Bills win, with Bledsoe playing the game, is if the Pats bus gets lost on the way to the stadium.

PTR

I live in New England so I see the Patsies play every week.  There is a great deal of denial, either from unfamiliarity, or just wishful thinking, about how good they really are.  The fact is New England is the best-coached team in the league, with a QB who sees all of the field and rarely makes mistakes bad enough to lose a game.  Their defense may give up yards in the midfield, but are very stout in the red zone, with a fantastic turnover ratio.

And you have the Bills who have a pretty good defense, yet still give up the big play.  And an offense that...well, let's just say we have an offense.  The only way the Bills win, with Bledsoe playing the game, is if the Pats bus gets lost on the way to the stadium. 

PTR

47480[/snapback]

As I've posted: great defense in 2001 and 2003=playoffs and SB win. Bad defense in 2002=no playoffs, much less SB. They also have been able to plug-and-play players in their offensive and defensive schemes.

I live in New England so I see the Patsies play every week.  There is a great deal of denial, either from unfamiliarity, or just wishful thinking, about how good they really are.  The fact is New England is the best-coached team in the league, with a QB who sees all of the field and rarely makes mistakes bad enough to lose a game.  Their defense may give up yards in the midfield, but are very stout in the red zone, with a fantastic turnover ratio.

And you have the Bills who have a pretty good defense, yet still give up the big play.  And an offense that...well, let's just say we have an offense.  The only way the Bills win, with Bledsoe playing the game, is if the Pats bus gets lost on the way to the stadium. 

PTR

47480[/snapback]

Hmmm...you mean like the last time the Pats played in Buffalo??

Nothing but pure, blind faith could lead anyone to suggest that the Bills can or will beat the Pats. The Bills have shown NOTHING this season to suggest that they can get it done. In fact, the Bills' strengths/weaknesses and the Pats' strengths/weaknesses don't even match up:

1) the Pats are susceptible to runs up the middle; the Bills have been more successful this year running off-tackle and to the outside

2) the Bills' pass protection is weak up the middle; the Pats are able to blitz effectively up the middle where they benefit from smart vet linebackers, a terrific strong safety and the best d-lineman in the AFC (Seymore)

3) the Pats offense is predicated on quick timing routes; it is disrupted only by consistent pressure on the QB from the d-linemen, Brady is one of the best in the league at reading the blitz; the Bills need to blitz in order to generate consistent pressure

4) the Bills' offense has shown an inability to put points on the board (quickly or otherwise); the Pats' specialty is obtaining a quick lead and then relying on their D to prevent other teams from catching up

5) Bledsoe performs best when under no pressure; the Pats are one of the best teams in the league at applying pressure and disguising coverages at the same time...

YET, the ostriches on this Board continue to swear that the Bills will win, and I'm even starting to believe them. Blind faith is what makes great fans - you guys are great fans, but as realists go, keep your day jobs.

PTR

47480[/snapback]

I agree with you here!

The bottom line is the game is won in the trenches and both sides have shown little to make this team a winner! No pressure on the QB, no push on the running game and no pass protection to speak of.

Receivers dropping easy passes left and right! Fumbling in the red zone!

We have been giving games away and we will continue to do so until this team develops a heart.

To blame it on one person is totally assinine, however!

PTR

47480[/snapback]

Every dog has it's day, and Sunday will be Buffalo's.

This isn't a pie in the sky prediction either. The Pats have to prove they can score on our defense at home. I think I remember that they had a little trouble doing that last year. The Bill's offense has had a two week buffer to iron out the wrinkles, which I have no doubt they will. But the biggest factor is that the Buffalo Bills will be bringing it in a big way baby. These players have had two weeks to chew on their bitter losses and will be taking out every last frustration on the happy go lucky patties. I can see why you steadfastly feel the Bills have no chance, but I think you are downgrading a very decent Bills team that has had sh*t for luck since the opener and will be ready for their breakout performance.

YET, the ostriches on this Board continue to swear that the Bills will win, and I'm even starting to believe them.  Blind faith is what makes great fans - you guys are great fans, but as realists go, keep your day jobs.

47528[/snapback]

what is real about a game?

and if it is so conclusive that we will lose - why play? why watch?

what is real about a game?

and if it is so conclusive that we will lose - why play? why watch?

47567[/snapback]

Ok, fine, if it's not "real," who would you bet your house on? How about your house and your new server? We're not even talking about spreads here - if someone put a gun to your head and said, "Pick the winner of this Sunday's Pats-Bills game, for your life," which team would you pick?

You play because you have odds of winning, even if slim, and because as professionals it's your job. I watch because I love the game and I like believing against the odds if necessary.

Guest BackInDaDay
I watch because I love the game and I like believing against the odds if necessary.

47582[/snapback]

Sums up my 38 years of rooting for this team. Why stop now?

It's professional football. It's not my son's HS team, my other son's Pop Warner team, or my Pop Warner team. These are some of the best footballers in the country, who, for the time being, are playing for my favorite team. That's all. I could care less if their season ends 0-16. It doesn't cost me a thing to want them to do well. And for as long as I can remember, I've wanted them to do well. :rolleyes:

PTR

47480[/snapback]

dont make me puke

Should they just not play the freaking game and save me $125???? Nobody knows the outcome of the game. That's why they play the F-IN things. Bills can win Sunday. They can also lose. Predictions are useless. On any given Sunday. Save your predictions for somewhere else.

PTR

47480[/snapback]

The Pats barely beat the Colts in their own backyard. If not for James, the Pats

would be 1-1 going into the game against the bills. They also did not dominate

Arizona (like the Eagles did at the Lions) and won 19-12 (or something close to

that).

The bills lost two very close games that could have gone either side.

It is almost the same 22 starters that are playing this sunday that played a

year ago in the brutal opening loss 31-0 for the Pats. Again I said at that time

that even though the Pats lost 31-0, the game itself could have been closer if

some of the breaks went the NE way....

The bottom line is in the NFL there are very few dominating teams and on any

given sunday, the team that comes to play on that day and is lucky with a

few breaks wins that game...The NE-Bills game will be exactly that....I am not

saying the bills are going to win it but that it will be a closer game than many

think...

ganesh

I don't see us beating New England either. We may have had two weeks to work out our problems, but so have Bellichek, Weis, and Crennel. We can beat Miami and the Jests, but the Pats are far and above better than Buffalo at this point of the season.

I'll be rooting for them and hoping for them to pull the upset. I'll be hopping mad when something bad happens to the Bills and jumping around like crazy when something good happens and I hope they prove me wrong, but I just don't think they have it yet.

Should they just not play the freaking game and save me $125???? Nobody knows the outcome of the game. That's why they play the F-IN things. Bills can win Sunday. They can also lose. Predictions are useless. On any given Sunday. Save your predictions for somewhere else.

47716[/snapback]

Exactly. All logic says that the Bills will lose, but this is not a computer program. It's a human game, with human emotions. Many would argue that this game is more important to the Bills. Which team would a loss hurt most? Desperation is a crazy thing.

These games are played on the field and not on paper for a reason. If you can look at an opponent and mark them down as a win or loss without fail, then why play the games? How many people can actually pick a team's won/lost record before the season and get every game right? You may get lucky and predict the correct record, but it's highly unlikely you'll get every game right. For all the nay sayers who want to put others down for believing the Bills have a chance, be careful...it's a long fall from atop that high horse on which you're perched. :D