The pin to burst your bubble

PromoTheRobot

I live in New England so I see the Patsies play every week.  There is a great deal of denial, either from unfamiliarity, or just wishful thinking, about how good they really are.  The fact is New England is the best-coached team in the league, with a QB who sees all of the field and rarely makes mistakes bad enough to lose a game.  Their defense may give up yards in the midfield, but are very stout in the red zone, with a fantastic turnover ratio.

And you have the Bills who have a pretty good defense, yet still give up the big play.  And an offense that...well, let's just say we have an offense.  The only way the Bills win, with Bledsoe playing the game, is if the Pats bus gets lost on the way to the stadium. 

PTR

47480[/snapback]

I'm going for the tailgate and the great atmosphere...just to spite you.

Ok, fine, if it's not "real," who would you bet your house on?  How about your house and your new server?  We're not even talking about spreads here - if someone put a gun to your head and said, "Pick the winner of this Sunday's Pats-Bills game, for your life," which team would you pick? 

You play because you have odds of winning, even if slim, and because as professionals it's your job.  I watch because I love the game and I like believing against the odds if necessary.

47582[/snapback]

But why not bring the point spread into this. We won't give up our day jobs, but for the guys in Vegas, it is their day job. Based on your supposition that the Bills haven't shown anything to warrant optimism about the game, you'd think that the point spread be bigger than 5.5.

In your gun to the head scenario, anyone would be a fool not to go with the favorite if their life depended on it.

But this is not life, it's football, and there are enough nuggets that have washed up this year to make me think that, at home, the Bills of 2004 (better than the 2003 version) can beat the Patriots of 2004 (worse than the 2003 version).