Thank you Ralph Wilson

AKC

Thanks for voting exactly the way you should have based upon the honest expression that you simply didn't have a clear enough picture to make an assessment. Instead of the idiot who leaves the room having signed the papers that are his undoing in time, you wisely chose a more prudent course. As you point out the proposal IS complicated, and among the owners you are the one I will choose to admire not only for resisting the bull-rush but for offering your honest feelings immediately afterwards.

And I hate to overlook that I forgot to thank you for keeping the team I love in Buffalo, while the scalawags and backwash of the NFL have all moved to “greener pastures” or sold out altogether to the tripe who have gained too much influence in labor matters of late.

Did I mention your living and doing business in Detroit yet protecting the Bills from the vagaries of temptation that have buckled the knees of the lesser among your peers, even those who were lifetime residents of the towns they screwed?

And I assume I thanked you for the contemporarily foolish investment that became the most exciting football league in history- the AFL- and then putting much more money into the most exciting team in the history of the NFL- the Kelly led Bills?

Have I thanked you Ralph? If not before then now accept with all my heart the thanks, praise and respect that every one of us owe you- whether they recognize it or not.

Thanks for voting exactly the way you should have based upon the honest expression that you simply didn't have a clear enough picture to make an assessment. Instead of the idiot who leaves the room having signed the papers that are his undoing in time, you wisely chose a more prudent course. As you point out the proposal IS complicated, and among the owners you are the one I will choose to admire not only for resisting the bull-rush but for offering your honest feelings immediately afterwards.

And I hate to overlook that I forgot to thank you for keeping the team I love in Buffalo,  while the scalawags and backwash of the NFL have all moved to “greener pastures” or sold out altogether to the tripe who have gained too much influence in labor matters of late.

Did I mention your living and doing business in Detroit yet protecting the Bills from the vagaries of temptation that have buckled the knees of the lesser among your peers, even those who were lifetime residents of the towns they screwed?

And I assume I thanked you for the contemporarily foolish investment that became the most exciting football league in history- the AFL- and then putting much more money into the most exciting team in the history of the NFL- the Kelly led Bills?

Have I thanked you Ralph? If not before then now accept with all my heart the thanks, praise and respect that every one of us owe you- whether they recognize it or not.

621860[/snapback]

I have now renewed my belief that this board is dominated with doddering old fools. Anyone who would watch ESPN, and NFL Network make a mockery of our ancient hospice patient, and come to the conclusion that he was right is just as "faded" as our current owner.

Anytime your owner says, "I just didnt understand it". "I didnt think I was a drop out". HMMM, anyone who agrees with that sentiment would tend to agree with that mindset that is, to say nicely, "fading".

Anytime your owner says, "I just didnt understand it". "I didnt think I was a drop out". HMMM, anyone who agrees with that sentiment would tend to agree with that mindset that is, to say nicely, "fading".

621876[/snapback]

It's true we old-timers suffer some difficulty understanding the 8 and 9 year-olds here, but at the same time most of us old-timers are just happy if we don't spray the keyboard pad on the laptop while we're wetting our pants during a post.

I have now renewed my belief that this board is dominated with doddering old fools. Anyone who would watch ESPN, and NFL Network make a mockery of our ancient hospice patient, and come to the conclusion that he was right is just as "faded" as our current owner.

621876[/snapback]

If ESPN says it, it must be true!

:blink:

And I hate to overlook that I forgot to thank you for keeping the team I love in Buffalo,  while the scalawags and backwash of the NFL have all moved to “greener pastures” or sold out altogether to the tripe who have gained too much influence in labor matters of late.

621860[/snapback]

Well said, I agree completely.

It's true we old-timers suffer some difficulty understanding the 8 and 9 year-olds here, but at the same time most of us old-timers are just happy if we don't spray the keyboard pad on the laptop while we're wetting our pants during a post.

621885[/snapback]

HEY!!! Oh, did I just label myself?.....ooops...

His comments were embarrassing.

622026[/snapback]

Not as embarrassing as being a bills fan having to listen to all the comments from the posters on this board who think just because Marv and Ralph are old the obviously are senile and should be cast aside and that Ralph will be able to find a new owner who is going to want to keep the bills in Buffalo. I would like to see anybody here fill in for Ralph and Marv and then tell us how easy of a job it is, cause everyone here seems to be an expert.

And I'm not one of the older posters on this board, I just have respect for people who are older and believe that some can still function in society

621876[/snapback]

That's mularkey if I've ever heard it. He's always had that type of sense of humor.

If you can make a decision in 45 minutes on the fate of a multi billion dollar corporation more power to you. But, I doubt you'd be hanging with us drop outs.

Not as embarrassing as being a bills fan having to listen to all the comments from the posters on this board who think just because Marv and Ralph are old the obviously are senile and should be cast aside and that Ralph will be able to find a new owner who is going to want to keep the bills in Buffalo. I would like to see anybody here fill in for Ralph and Marv and then tell us how easy of a job it is, cause everyone here seems to be an expert.

And I'm not one of the older posters on this board, I just have respect for people who are older and believe that some can still function in society

622122[/snapback]

Amen. With age, comes wisdom.

I think it's actually refreshing to hear an honest, candid response like the one Ralph uttered. RW has been a very successful businessman for a very long time - I doubt that he got where he is by making hurried decisions.

Too bad some folks confuse self-deprication and wry humor with dementia - Ralph may just be the smartest guy in that room.

622122[/snapback]

Good for you. The boyscouts are looking for guys like you. :rolleyes: Now, I respect the man too. He is and should be commended for his fine work with the Bills. But there comes a time when you should appoint someone, I don't know who, but someone you can trust to represent your organization who is not only intelligent, but sharp enough to keep up with your colleagues in such operations as this CBA. That is not to cast aside RW. But the organization could use sharper representation. I'm not going to pretend that the other 31 owners are any sharper or come across as geniuses, but I feel I can comment on our owner. An owner that I do respect. I felt very embarrassed for him. That's all.

Amen.  With age, comes wisdom.

I think it's actually refreshing to hear an honest, candid response like the one Ralph uttered.  RW has been a very successful businessman for a very long time - I doubt that he got where he is by making hurried decisions.

Too bad some folks confuse self-deprication and wry humor with dementia - Ralph may just be the smartest guy in that room.

622140[/snapback]

Unfortunately, perception is reality. Unless you're a Bills fan apparently.

621860[/snapback]

Nice post. And to those who want "better representation," go get a job, work hard and save, and buy your own team and you can represent it however you like. It's great to see people making $50K in a good year and have done nothing for the community trash Ralph and explain how they would do things so spectacularly for Buffalo. Can you imagine the sophistication these people would bring in a negotiation with Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder, while munching on their gourmet fries from Mickey Ds? God bless America.

Guest BackInDaDay

621860[/snapback]

You're reading a helluva lot into "I didn't understand it."

How could he miss the point that the re-worked proposal favors his club?

How was he allowed to miss that point?

"Here Ralph, do nothing. The more ambitious owners who've placed themselves in highly competitve, yet marketable, locations will give you their money."

621860[/snapback]

Thanking him for keeping the team in an area as close to home as he could get after Miami refused to give him free use of their Orange Bowl. Thanking him for accepting the taxpayers money to subsidize his stadium, it's improvements and it's field house?

621860[/snapback]

I've read this 4 or 5 times now, and to quote Ralph, "I didn't understand it.".

621860[/snapback]

Thanking him for making an investment in the AFL? Better to thank him for convincing Wellington Mara to share his money with him and his buddies 50 years ago.

621860[/snapback]

You're way over the top here. No wonder you're getting "Amen" responses.

You're reading a helluva lot into "I didn't understand it." 

How could he miss the point that the re-worked proposal favors his club?

How was he allowed to miss that point?

"Here Ralph, do nothing.  The more ambitious owners who've placed themselves in highly competitve, yet marketable, locations will give you their money." 

Thanking him for keeping the team in an area as close to home as he could get after Miami refused to give him free use of their Orange Bowl.  Thanking him for accepting the taxpayers money to subsidize his stadium, it's improvements and it's field house? 

I've read this 4 or 5 times now, and to quote Ralph, "I didn't understand it.".

Thanking him for making an investment in the AFL? Better to thank him for convincing Wellington Mara to share his money with him and his buddies 50 years ago.

You're way over the top here. No wonder you're getting "Amen" responses.

622266[/snapback]

This deal was crammed down very quickly. A guy doesn't typically get rich by having someone else explain a deal to him, without having time to study it carefully himslef. The league put itself in a jam timewise by its own action/inaction--Ralph just did not like the cram down at the end which was self-inflicted.

Even as of now, no one seems to know how this works. If it turns out that the new revenue sharing is not enough to keep the Bills in Buffalo because the fans do not have enough money to pay real NFL prices, like they do in DC and Philly, then was Ralph wrong to vote no?

I'm not saying that this deal may not be fine for Buffalo, but there is nothing wrong with having the time to carefully consider something--something that could have been decided long ago, i.e., revenue sharing, but was left to the absolute final minute because the big revenue clubs wanted it that way. His position was neither silly or foolish, and his candor was refreshing.

This deal was crammed down very quickly.  A guy doesn't typically get rich by having someone else explain a deal to him, without having time to study it carefully himslef.  The league put itself in a jam timewise by its own action/inaction--Ralph just did not like the cram down at the end which was self-inflicted.

Even as of now, no one seems to know how this works.  If it turns out that the new revenue sharing is not enough to keep the Bills in Buffalo because the fans do not have enough money to pay real NFL prices, like they do in DC and Philly, then was Ralph wrong to vote no?

I'm not saying that this deal may not be fine for Buffalo, but there is nothing wrong with having the time to carefully consider something--something that could have been decided long ago, i.e., revenue sharing, but was left to the absolute final minute because the big revenue clubs wanted it that way. His position was neither silly or foolish, and his candor was refreshing.

622285[/snapback]

I don't really have a problem with him voting no. I certainly don't know whether this deal benefits the Bills in the long run, but I will say that RW appears that the business and the daily "dealings" may be moving too swiftly for him. This is not to disrespect him in any way. CBA aside, he has done nothing beneficial regarding the team and how it performs on the field. It's time to pass the baton.

Nice post.  And to those who want "better representation," go get a job, work hard and save, and buy your own team and you can represent it however you like.  It's great to see people making $50K in a good year and have done nothing for the community trash Ralph and explain how they would do things so spectacularly for Buffalo. Can you imagine the sophistication these people would bring in a negotiation with Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder, while munching on their gourmet fries from Mickey Ds?  God bless America.

622264[/snapback]

So regardless of how poorly this franchise has played its games and in general, operated, RW gets a free pass because ST. RALPH still has a pulse?!?! Sorry. I expect more. We may not get it until someone else takes over.

So regardless of how poorly this franchise has played its games and in general, operated, RW gets a free pass because ST. RALPH still has a pulse?!?! Sorry. I expect more. We may not get it until someone else takes over.

622311[/snapback]

Pass the baton to whom? First he tried that when he turned everything over to TD.

He said it was time for him to sit back and watch. You saw what happened.

Second, be careful what you wish for. When RW dies, depending on the estate tax laws then in effect, chances are high that his heirs will have to sell the team to outsiders just to pay the estate tax given the appreciation on this team since 1959. It will be difficult to find someone with $750M who will keep the team in a city like Buffalo. Heck, the Sabres were worth almost nothing, and they could not come up with a buyer. And, since the league has no antitrust exemption, it can do little to stop such a move.

So when Ralph passes the ultimate baton, and you get your wish that someone new own the team, good chance we'll be rooting for the LA Bills, or something like that... CD

Guest BackInDaDay
This deal was crammed down very quickly.  A guy doesn't typically get rich by having someone else explain a deal to him, without having time to study it carefully himslef.  The league put itself in a jam timewise by its own action/inaction--Ralph just did not like the cram down at the end which was self-inflicted.

Even as of now, no one seems to know how this works.  If it turns out that the new revenue sharing is not enough to keep the Bills in Buffalo because the fans do not have enough money to pay real NFL prices, like they do in DC and Philly, then was Ralph wrong to vote no?

622285[/snapback]

The proposed agreement was presented to each team's representatives by the owners Tagliabue gave credit to last night. No one was locked away by themselves for 45 minutes with a 400 page document and expected to comprehend each detail. It was 'presented'. The owners who drafted it stood up and told the others what they were thinking and how it would work.

I think that when they got to the part of their propsal that stated that the 17 franchises lowest in revenue wouldn't have to ante up a nickle, Ralph's should have understood that.

They were pressed for time. That's where I underestimated Tagliabue's preparation for all of this. There was nothing he could do but keep this bunch together until they hammerred something out. Unfortunately, this was the NFLPA's last offer, and they had to repond quickly. And yes, the age of some of the participants probably even hastened their response. The prospect of dragging some of these old guys through another few days of this couldn't have been an attractive one for Tags.

As far as keeping the Bills in Buffalo, unless Ralph's heirs accept well below the market value of a NFL franchise, it will be very hard for any buyer to rationalize an investment of that magnitude to pay dividends in Erie County.

Gotta disagree with the sentimental view. ralph just embarrassed himself and the buffalo bills and he doesn't even realize it.

people around the league are laughing...cuz the point is

Ralph probably should NOT have even participated in the meetings. He should have hired or appointed a proxy to stand in for him. Someone in the organization or even a family member who understands what Ralph's interests are and who is smart enough about football matters to understand the finer points as they evolved.

But no.

Ralph wants to take a "more active role" in the organization. If you think that's positive for Bills football, then you're merely swimming in sentimentality. The man needs to step away from the game and let lucid professionals take care of all aspects of the biz.

The proposed agreement was presented to each team's representatives by the owners Tagliabue gave credit to last night.  No one was locked away by themselves for 45 minutes with a 400 page document and expected to comprehend each detail.  It was 'presented'.  The owners who drafted it stood up and told the others what they were thinking and how it would work. 

I think that when they got to the part of their propsal that stated that the 17 franchises lowest in revenue wouldn't have to ante up a nickle, Ralph's should have understood that. 

They were pressed for time.  That's where I underestimated Tagliabue's preparation for all of this.  There was nothing he could do but keep this bunch together until they hammerred something out.  Unfortunately, this was the NFLPA's last offer, and they had to repond quickly.  And yes, the age of some of the participants probably even hastened their response. The prospect of dragging some of these old guys through another few days of this couldn't have been an attractive one for Tags.

As far as keeping the Bills in Buffalo, unless Ralph's heirs accept well below the market value of a NFL franchise, it will be very hard for any buyer to rationalize an investment of that magnitude to pay dividends in Erie County.

622351[/snapback]

I an confident that when Jerry Jones told everyone during those 45 minutes that he would pony up some cash, and Ralph would not have to pay anything, he understood that in broad strokes. But everyone knew there would be some additional revenue sharing, and the devil was in the details. If you would take the word of Jerry Jones as gospel after 45 minutes, I've got some beautiful land near Niagara Falls in the Love Canal area to sell you. Great views, good commute, you'll love it. But you must act within 10 minutes , or the deal goes away.

You get the picture.

And, by saying no one can "rationalize an investment of that magnitude to pay dividends in Erie County" is your rather pretentious way of saying no one likely will keep the team in WNY like Ralph when he dies, we agree.

Gotta disagree with the sentimental view. ralph just embarrassed himself and the buffalo bills and he doesn't even realize it.

Ralph probably should NOT have even participated in the meetings. He should have hired or appointed a proxy to stand in for him. Someone in the organization or even a family member who understands what Ralph's interests are and who is smart enough about football matters to understand the finer points as they evolved.

But no.

Ralph wants to take a "more active role" in the organization. If you think that's positive for Bills football, then you're merely swimming in sentimentality. The man needs to step away from the game and let lucid professionals take care of all aspects of the biz.

622367[/snapback]

Oh no, we embarassed ourselves. I'm so embarassed, whatever shall I do?

It's his team, it's his money, he has the right to do whatever he likes. When did you get a say in what he should or should NOT do? Do you know how many people he had at the meetings with him, providing advice and counsel as best they could?

God bless him and the great gift he has given to WNY all these years in the Bills. When they are gone, you'll really appreciate what we had...CD

621860[/snapback]

I admire the way he spoke up as well. He stuck up for what he believes in and thats good. However, I'm not sure he was anticipating this outcome.

Guest BackInDaDay
I an confident that when Jerry Jones told everyone during those 45 minutes that he would pony up some cash, and Ralph would not have to pay anything, he understood that in broad strokes.  But everyone knew there would be some additional revenue sharing, and the devil was in the details.  If you would take the word of Jerry Jones as gospel after 45 minutes, I've got some beautiful land near Niagara Falls in the Love Canal  area to sell you.  Great views, good commute, you'll love it.  But  you must act within 10 minutes , or the deal goes away.

You get the picture.

622390[/snapback]

You think Jones and Snyder are after Ralphs money?

And,  by saying no one can "rationalize an investment of that magnitude to pay dividends in Erie County"  is your rather pretentious way of saying no one likely will keep the team in WNY like Ralph when he dies, we agree.

622390[/snapback]

My 'pretensious' statement was meant to emphasize that although NYS tax breaks, forgiven loan repayments, and the hard work of the local Chamber of Commerce has given a Ralph a sweet deal in Buffalo, that wont be enough to cover a $700M nut.

The guy was honest. How are you embarassed by doing that.

We're all assuming it's a cut and dried issue because of a couple of sentences in an article on the web. It probably is involved. What's wrong with taking your time to make a decision? Plus, every owner, including Ralph, probably had an army of laywers and accountants to help him. I doubt he was there by himself.

Congressmen vote all the time on issues that directly effect you, without knowing what they are voting for. I wish they'd take a lesson from Ralph.

All ESPN has proven today,by taking some cheap shots at a guy pushing 90, is that they are completely classless; which will make it even sweeter in couple of years when we're back on top and their simpletons like Colin Cowherd and John Clayton are forced to eat crow. (Which they won't, they'll clain that they knew the Bills were going to be good all along.)

Pass the baton to whom?  First he tried that when he turned everything over to TD.

He said it was time for him to sit back and watch.  You saw what happened.

Second, be careful what you wish for.  When RW dies, depending on the estate tax laws then in effect, chances are high that his heirs will have to sell the team to outsiders just to pay the estate tax given the appreciation on this team since 1959.  It will be difficult to find someone with $750M who will keep the team in a city like Buffalo.  Heck, the Sabres were worth almost nothing, and they could not come up with a buyer. And, since the league has no antitrust exemption, it can do little to stop such a move.

So when Ralph passes the ultimate baton, and you get your wish that someone new own the team, good chance we'll be rooting for the LA Bills, or something like that... CD

622327[/snapback]

He picked TD, right? How's that working out for us? Did I see what happened? We all did. Nothing but ineptness. And don't tell me about how well TD did on the "business side" of things. The PRODUCT he put on the field was laughable. It was RW that put him there.

I also understand the ramifications when Ralph "passes the baton". We'll cross that bridge. All I'm saying is he is not without fault. I think he's too old to play the "game" he's played for so long and so well.

But no.

622367[/snapback]

Absolutely perfect. Thank you. I'm beginning to think I've been reading eulogies, not posts.