(OSCARS)Some pretty funny moments last nite

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People weren't driven away from watching by Jon Stewart, they were ambivalent over whether Crash, Brokeback or Capote (seen by the same couple dozen people) would walk away with the Oscar...

619778[/snapback]

I totally agree. And not only that, but a hefty percentage of Middle America was not really interested in seeing Best Picture go to a couple of gay cowboys, Best Actor go to someone playing "an effete New York intellectual," or Best Actress go to someone playing a transsexual. As it turned out, only Hoffman won among the three, but Brokeback and Felicity Huffman got quite a bit of pre-Oscar press (not to mention most of the pre-Oscar awards).

I'm not saying that makes it right. I'm just saying that the pre-Oscar buildup, especially for Brokeback, didn't do the ratings any favors. Jon Stewart had absolutely nothing to do with whether people watched on Sunday night.

Excellent review.  It points out several funny jokes that got no reaction simply because the Hollyweird set is too hypocritical and vain to laugh at themselves.  That group only wants one of their own to play host (ie., Billy Crystal).  Off beat comics are not appreciated, no matter how funny the might be.

619457[/snapback]

I was trying to explain the hypocrisy of Hollywood to my wife whilst laughing at the jokes. I love it when the presenter rips the audience.

Good on ya, Stewart. I've never watched you before, but I think I'll start now.

The "don't copy movies" thing was THE BEST.

In the FWIW department, the academy was happy with its ratings. The show was watched by 38.8 mil, which is down 8% from last year but 5 mil more than the previous year. It was higher than predicted, and actually more men watched this year than last. It was also the most watched show of the year so far, more than Grey's Anatomy after the Super Bowl, which is traditionally a huge audience. It was watched by more people than the Globes and the Emmy's combined. So Stewart didnt do so bad in a terrible year.

In the FWIW department, the academy was happy with its ratings. The show was watched by 38.8 mil, which is down 8% from last year but 5 mil more than the previous year. It was higher than predicted, and actually more men watched this year than last. It was also the most watched show of the year so far, more than Grey's Anatomy after the Super Bowl, which is traditionally a huge audience. It was watched by more people than the Globes and the Emmy's combined. So Stewart didnt do so bad in a terrible year.

620492[/snapback]

I would have expected as much from an industry apologist lap-dog. :lol: All things considered, those were good ratings. Now I'm sure they're crossing their fingers hoping their "subliminal" "Go to the theaters to see the movies" campaign worked...'cuz if it didn't, they might actually have to start putting out quality movies again.... :w00t:

I would have expected as much from an industry apologist lap-dog. :lol:  All things considered, those were good ratings.  Now I'm sure they're crossing their fingers hoping their "subliminal" "Go to the theaters to see the movies" campaign worked...'cuz if it didn't, they might actually have to start putting out quality movies again.... :w00t:

620521[/snapback]

V for Vendetta looks to be a good one.

Now I'm sure they're crossing their fingers hoping their "subliminal" "Go to the theaters to see the movies" campaign worked...'cuz if it didn't, they might actually have to start putting out quality movies again.... :w00t:

620521[/snapback]

IMO, that was by far the worst element of the awards. It was really embarrassing to be begging like that. Once or twice about the theatre experience would have been fine. But they kept saying it. At the end of the show I expected to see Holcolm's Arm as one of the producers.

Another MSNBC Review

619450[/snapback]

Who is this retard? Bemoans the incredible lack of talent Stewart demonstrated by providing no humor whatsoever, by writing an article displaying his incredible lack of talent by providing no humor whatsoever, despite trying with gems like:

"The movie “Munich” was represented in one category, musical score, by a clip in which suspense built over a bomb that didn’t go off. The Oscar show on ABC, televised live from Los Angeles, was a bomb that did."

:w00t:

I thought Stewart sucked, too. But Shales sounds like the LAST guy who should be complaining.