(OSCARS)Some pretty funny moments last nite

:blink:

:D  ;)

619739[/snapback]

Ratings mean nothing for a first year host. How could Stewart doing badly affect those who didn't watch?

And he WAS trying to force some excitement on the ceremony. HELLO! That's what he's supposed to be doing.

As far as I've seen you are the only one in this thread who thinks he wasn't funny. You are certainly welcome to your opinion, but your trying to prove a point that isn't accepted. He did a very well in a venue that is almost impossible to do well in. It would be a wise move to have him back next year and tell him to take it further. Loosen those self righteous bastards up a bit. I would also expect a bit more acceptance since they would know what to expect. Half the problem with the "stars" is that they are so catered to that they freak out whenever someone does something unexpected. God forbid they laugh at a joke that may not have been funney enough, or perhaps offended someone they are need to impress. How would THAT look?

The award shows (especially this one) will never be any good until they decide to shorten the show and STOP MAKING IT INTO A THANK YOU FEST!!!!

Thank your list of people on your own time. Get up there, say something nice, and get off the damn stage. NOBODY FRIGGIN CARES! The ratings for these shows will continue to go to crap until they make some serious changes.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:blink:

:D  ;)

619739[/snapback]

For one thing, he was doomed from the start. Just about everything I read before-hand said "Stewart's going to suck. Just like all those other New York comedians that don't 'get' Hollywood.'" It was like a mantra, and became, in essence, self-fulfilling prophecy. That the Oscars were meant to celebrate "Hollywood" (especially with the endless pandering "watch them in the theater" pleas) despite the fact that it was a very "un-Hollywood" Oscars did not help either the "mood" of the audience or the viewing public. That the only major studio flick represented was the latest Spielberg "epic" that was seen by maybe a couple dozen people says more about how the TV ratings panned out than anything else. People weren't driven away from watching by Jon Stewart, they were ambivalent over whether Crash, Brokeback or Capote (seen by the same couple dozen people) would walk away with the Oscar...

You're right, they are... providing they know their role & shut their mouth.

619767[/snapback]

Hey, they've made it to the pinnacle of their field and they felt they were using their time at the top to make statements when the most people would listen to them. You may not agree with the statements, but if they said "God Bless America" or "Reading Is Fundamental" no one would complain.

Besideswhich, Robbins' Oscar speech a couple years ago (after winning for "Mystic River") was entirely dedicated to talking about victims of childhood sexual abuse -- no politics. You might not like his politics, but his heart is in the right place.

Some Democrats are progressive, some Republicans are progressive, some Liberals are progressive, some Conservatives are progressive, some Libertarians are progressive.

I truly believe the majority in each of these groups are not progressive at all.

I don't know what "Progressive" (capital "P") is.

619703[/snapback]

Hey, Take that talk elsewhere, this is a Geico board dammit!

I thought the western gay theme with all the cowboys lookingly lovingly at each other (Victor McLaughlin and John Wayne? hilarious!). In 1948 Leslie Fiedler (a former teacher of mine at UB who just died) wrote a much ballyhoo'd essay arguing that most of American lit was a homoerotic episode -Natty Bumpo and Chingachkook (sp?), Huck and Jim, Lone Ranger and Tonto, etc.) Last night I had the opportunity to watch what was in my opinion the best western of all time, the Magnificient Seven. It differed from the Japanese film on which the story was based in the gay themes among the seven.) Dam...Brokeback Mountain is going to make us all take another look at Cisco and Pancho!

I don't know, I thought rachel weiss's jubblies were pretty awesome!!!! but then again kiera knightley is kiera knightly

Can we all agree on one thing fer chrissakes?

Keira Knightly was the best part of the show. :P

Go ahead, disagree with that.

619865[/snapback]

Can we all agree on one thing fer chrissakes?

Keira Knightly was the best part of the show. :P

Go ahead, disagree with that.

619865[/snapback]

I agree... I think Jessica Alba is overrated, and I don't like Salma Hayek at all.

Now, if Charlize had shown more skin, she could've given Keira a run for the money. :)

The award shows (especially this one) will never be any good until they decide to shorten the show and STOP MAKING IT INTO A THANK YOU FEST!!!!

Thank your list of people on your own time.  Get up there, say something nice, and get off the damn stage.  NOBODY FRIGGIN CARES!  The ratings for these shows will continue to go to crap until they make some serious changes.

619768[/snapback]

What if the losers were plunged into a tub of worms, or scorpions, and then had to do a Fear Factor type stunt, to be allowed back into the theatre.

"Are you man enough to be nominated?"

Now you're scaring me.    :P  :)

620019[/snapback]

:lol:

I think Jessica's hot, but many more are hotter, she wouldn't come close to making my top 10.

As for Hayek, I'm just not into Hispanics, no offense to those who are.

Hey, Take that talk elsewhere, this is a Geico board dammit!

619848[/snapback]

My bad. I thought it was a gekko board.

BTW, I thought all the gals looked lovely. :P

It's an extremely difficult job in the first place, particularly for a first timer, and exponentially because this was not only a crappy year for movies but few of the best picture candidates were seen by anyone. They knew the audience and the ratings were going to be horrible.

Stewart was chosen for two reasons. 1] There wasn't a good choice to begin with. 2] The films nominated this year were socially themed and political in nature, so Stewart's brand of humor was HOPED by the shows relatively new producers to mesh well. It was a good choice but was doomed from the start.

It's also an awards show. There's no such thing as a good one. The best one can hope for are a few funny bits, one or two nice performances of a song, and a couple irreverent 30 second speeches. Stewart didn't bomb any more than Letterman or Rock or Steve Martin did. In fact, under the circumstances, aside from starting slow and having too many clips, he did quite well.

I thought Stewart was pretty funny, but it was obvious the people present weren't overwhelmed. I thought the show moved pretty well, the speakers seemed somewhat less inclined to blather on, and frankly I am convinced the best film actually won. Crash was a really fine film.

I don't know, I thought rachel weiss's jubblies were pretty awesome!!!! but then again kiera knightley is kiera knightly

620008[/snapback]

Keira Knightley gave an absolutely stunning performance in Pride and Prejudice (she stole a scene from Dame Judi Densch, which is damned difficult too do), as well as being drop-dead gorgeous. I'm actually somewhat surprised that Weisz won over Knightley...but only somewhat, as Knightley's young, and will get plenty more chances.