(OSCARS)Some pretty funny moments last nite

the opening where they went to all the former hosts and they all turned the gig down this year. The compilation of old cowboy movies, splicing scenes together to give the appearance of homosexuality was funny, and ben stiller wearing the "kodacrhome suit" and thinking he was giving the appearance of a floating head was also pretty funny as well. didn't watch much of it and didn't see any of the movies,

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jon was great (someone on here thought he bombed in another thread... wtf?)

I loved the line where he said that since they're all members of the democratic party, they should enjoy the moment of finally voting for a winner tonight.

Jon was great (someone on here thought he bombed in another thread... wtf?)

619392[/snapback]

Jon Stewart's opening monologue was beyond pathetic, you could hear a pin drop in the auditorium. He got a little better as the night when on, but IMO he was far and away the worst host in Oscar history, a major bust... I bet Letterman slept very well last night. Even Whoopi & Bob Hope were funnier. :doh:

Jon Stewart's opening monologue was beyond pathetic, you could hear a pin drop in the auditorium. He got a little better as the night when on, but IMO he was far and away the worst host in Oscar history, a major bust... I bet Letterman slept very well last night. Even Whoopi & Bob Hope were funnier. :doh:

619412[/snapback]

Uma, Oprah.....Uma, Oprah......Uma, Oprah. :D

619412[/snapback]

No way, I think he was awesome.

I think some people there were offended. :D

Jon Stewart's opening monologue was beyond pathetic, you could hear a pin drop in the auditorium. He got a little better as the night when on, but IMO he was far and away the worst host in Oscar history, a major bust... I bet Letterman slept very well last night. Even Whoopi & Bob Hope were funnier. :blink:

619412[/snapback]

A Review of Stewart's work

No way, I think he was awesome.

I think some people there were offended.  :blink:

619418[/snapback]

They were totally offended by him and it's no surprise. What actors want is a Micheal Moore fatass on stage raging against the machine. Put a mirror on the stage...and that's exactly what Stewart's comedy is...then they react with horror.

One joke got a real laugh from the audience; he commented that Bjork couldn't make it because after she put on her costume she was shot by Dick Cheney. Gee, they found THAT funny but make a joke about Scientology and the place is dead.

The reason you could hear a pin drop in the place is because a small percentage of Hollywood can laugh at themselves. Stewart was downright hysterical.

Uma, Oprah.....Uma, Oprah......Uma, Oprah.  :blink:

619416[/snapback]

;) As lame as that was, it was better than anything Jon Stewart did... Oscar campaigns in the form of political ads, you know that had to be his idea. :D He's just not funny & never is or was. He sucked as well on Kimmel afterwards, with that giant zit BS, good thing QT & Johnny Knoxville came out after to save the show or it would've been 2 bombs in 1 night.

They were totally offended by him and it's no surprise. What actors want is a Micheal Moore fatass on stage raging against the machine. Put a mirror on the stage...and that's exactly what Stewart's comedy is...then they react with horror.

One joke got a real laugh from the audience; he commented that Bjork couldn't make it because after she put on her costume she was shot by Dick Cheney. Gee, they found THAT funny but make a joke about Scientology and the place is dead.

The reason you could hear a pin drop in the place is because a small percentage of Hollywood can laugh at themselves. Stewart was downright hysterical.

619429[/snapback]

Dead on. As I watched the monologue and laughed out loud, I said to my wife, "they either don't understand his jokes or they think he's attacking them." Stewart is one of the funniest guys around; humor in the vein of Dennis Miller without being quite as obscure.

:D  As lame as that was, it was better than anything Jon Stewart did... Oscar campaigns in the form of political ads, you know that had to be his idea.  :blink: He's just not funny & never is or was. He sucked as well on Kimmel afterwards, with that giant zit BS, good thing QT & Johnny Knoxville came out after to save the show or it would've been 2 bombs in 1 night.

619439[/snapback]

The political ads were hilarious, I really have no idea what you were talking about.

619429[/snapback]

Exactly. He killed. The audience (as is typical for the Oscars) bombed.

Jon Stewart came out a little nervous, and when the audience did not respond, he got more nervous. Then he settled into his own. I thought his opening was fine, and would have been funny in any other medium. I thought it was funny as is....but out of touch hollywood elitests didnt like it...excep spielberg...he did

A Review of Stewart's work

619420[/snapback]

Excellent review. It points out several funny jokes that got no reaction simply because the Hollyweird set is too hypocritical and vain to laugh at themselves. That group only wants one of their own to play host (ie., Billy Crystal). Off beat comics are not appreciated, no matter how funny the might be.

Exactly.  He killed.  The audience (as is typical for the Oscars) bombed.

619455[/snapback]

Spot on. The funniest stand-up around will come off bad when the audience sits around like a bunch of stiffs. Everyone loves Billy because he is often self-depricating, so the Hollywood stuck-ups can laugh freely, but put anyone up there with a little cutting edge, be it the political work of Stewart or the cultural commentary of Rock, and the audience doesn't get it. Although I thought Clooney and good ole Jack seemed to enjoy it.

Excellent review.  It points out several funny jokes that got no reaction simply because the Hollyweird set is too hypocritical and vain to laugh at themselves.  That group only wants one of their own to play host (ie., Billy Crystal).  Off beat comics are not appreciated, no matter how funny the might be.

619457[/snapback]

Chris Rock came out last year & slammed many established Hollywood stars from Jude Law to Russell Crowe... not exactly what "Hollyweird" wanted to hear... but he was very funny and did not bomb.