Dan Neaverth

I'd like to type some stirring post about the end of an era and all, but I'm kind of surprised he was still alive, much less still on the air.

597674[/snapback]

I agree. I used to listen to him when I was a kid, he was on when the friggin' Beatles came out....and I don't mean that in a gay way, not that there's anything wrong with that.

I would've guessed he was retired or dead. Or both.

I agree.  I used to listen to him when I was a kid, he was on when the friggin' Beatles came out....and I don't mean that in a gay way, not that there's anything wrong with that.

I would've guessed he was retired or dead.  Or both.

597779[/snapback]

He started back in 1959 on KB.

It's the "corporate" thing to do.

597662[/snapback]

As opposed to what? Keeping a radio station no one was listening to? I love Danny Neverth as much as anyone, but KB was barely cracking 1% in the ratings. If everyone loves Danny so much, why didn't they listen?

PTR

As opposed to what?  Keeping a radio station no one was listening to?  I love Danny Neverth as much as anyone, but KB was barely cracking 1% in the ratings.  If everyone loves Danny so much, why didn't they listen?

PTR

597933[/snapback]

It's still sad. He was/is a WNY icon. As a kid, I used to wait anxiously by the radio hoping to hear Danny say that my school was closing due to snow! Man, getting old can suck sometimes. :(

I, for one, wish him well.

As opposed to what?  Keeping a radio station no one was listening to?  I love Danny Neverth as much as anyone, but KB was barely cracking 1% in the ratings.  If everyone loves Danny so much, why didn't they listen?

PTR

597933[/snapback]

Sad thing is that political radio is not worth anything, and just brainwashes the non-thinking people

Neavereth no longer was the public address announcer at the Stadium, right??

Who has been doing the PA??

598124[/snapback]

John Gurtler. (Remember him?)

I too, thought he was a drool drone, until I heard him play drums at a party in Amherst in '98. I must say, Mr. Gurtler is a very, very, solid drummer.

107.7 The Lake is a great station.  Love to listen to it when I'm in town.  Blows LA stations away.

597963[/snapback]

Better hope the Lake sticks around. The Trolls in the broadcasting boards (yes, there are boards for that too!) are all acting like there is a death watch over the Lake. (just like people who want JP to win a Super Bowl in his first year, these broadcast trolls want the Lake to be #1 or it's a flop!)

What's ironic is the Lake is the best-performing format that 107.7 frequency has ever had. After debuting with a 4.5% share (top 10) it has settled into the 3% range (top 13-15). For a frequency that barely covers Buffalo, that's pretty damn good. Most of these trolls are frustrated radio program director-wannabees, and they don't get what the Lake is trying to do.

These trolls all speculate that more mainstream formats like Oldies, or Country would work better. What they fail to appreciate is that no one would go out of their way to listen to a crappy signal if it was just more of the same-old **** you can find elsewhere on the dial.

By the way, the Lake is starting to approach a 2% share in Rochester, with no advertising whatsoever. The Lake also has a very low cost of operation. I hope the owners (Entercom) realize they have a good thing going with the Lake.

PTR