I never knew this...and it's astounding to me.

Nervous Guy

Players say in today's game, trading protection (even in vital areas) for speed is a no-brainer. They say injuries to that area -- the telltale "No. 52 had the wind knocked out him; his return is questionable" -- are just too rare to even worry about.

Yeah, tell that to Virgil Livers.

He's a former defensive back who played for the Chicago Bears from 1975-79. While fielding a punt at Soldier Field, Livers was speared in the groin. By halftime, one of his testicles had swollen so badly it had to be -- ugh, more flop sweat, oh the cramps ... breathe, breathe! -- drained with a needle by the trainers. Somehow, Livers suited up for the second half. That was a bad idea. A really, really, really bad idea. Later that night, he was rushed to the hospital where the mangled orb was surgically removed.

:lol:

Wow, hard, I mean difficult to believe. Heck, I was a punter & I wore one. In fact, I think it might have been bigger than my shoulder pads :lol:

It felt awkward, but I don't think it was hampering. Would think it would be the same for running - uncomfortable but not detrimental to speed.

I rather have minor discomfort for a whole game than a few minutes of severe , ah, discomfort.

Tell you what - I'm definitely gonna think differently about all the 'nasty stuff' that goes on scrumming for a loose fumble.