Orgasmic Happiness 15 Years Ago Today

Mark VI

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had moved to SF about a year earlier (from Boston). I flew back specifically to go to the game (didn't bother to tell my parents I was in town because I was coming in Friday night and I would be fu#ked up all weekend and fly back to SF on Sunday night). I remember that I wasn't ONE BIT cold that day. My coat was unbuttoned (and maybe off...I'm sure I was wearing warm clothing, though).

We, like everyone else, stood (and basically danced) for almost the entire game. Made my flight (barely) and had the best cross-country flight ever. THAT, was a game, my friends.

But, orgasmic? Well...i don't remember having to change my pants. But, I was pretty drunk...so maybe.

I was in college in New Jersey surrounded by Giants fans, or at least by people who were Giants fans at the time. B-)

Besides me, there were two other Bills fans at my club watching the game with me: one from Orchard Park (his parents actually lived on Jim Kelly's street) and the other from Schenectady. There were several rows of couches in the TV room; we took up one of them.

The first half is a blur, the second half almost nonexistent in my mind. I remember Kelly dropping the shotgun snap and finding Lofton. I remember the Raiders calling timeout on the first drive. The only other thing I remember is, when the teams trotted off the field at halftime and it was 41-3, I turned to the guy from OP sitting next to me and this was our entire exchange:

ME: "I think we're going to the Super Bowl."

HIM: "I think we are."

We didn't say anything more. Just sat there with these huge stupid dazed grins pasted on our faces for the rest of halftime, and probably the rest of the game.

The only AFC championship I was able to attend in person was the fourth one, against KC. That was almost as glorious, but by then the innocence was gone. :P

What a day...

It was a mild day for January. Dark but no rain.

It was the first George Bush/Iraq go around so security was very tight.

I screamed the National Anthem with tears in my eyes. The fly over was awesome.

We came out on fire and the game was decided early.

I never saw such Fandemonium in my life.

The second half was just move the ball and run the clock. Pitches to Thurman and Jamie Mueller leading the way and just destroying the linebacker/corner.

The ride bcak to Albany was spent trying to convince the gang to take 81 South to Tampa....to no avail.

What a day

I was in college at the time and was at the game in the lower endzone with my Dad. As excited as I was, it was even better to see my Dad enjoy the moment as he recalled all the lean years all the way back to the Rockpile days. Afterwards we tied one on for the ages. Great times.

...i am glad someone mentioned Jamie Meuller. I remember a sweep left, him coming around the corner and absolutely nailing a LBer. Flat out crushed him...ahh, I will have to raise this in the gym to my Raider mate... B-)

As I recall that's kind of normal for Abbott Rd. B-)

575974[/snapback]

Not on this day. :P People were sitting on the roofs of a few cars.....friends and I were watching this cause we parked off-site at a friend's house on Abbott, so we watched the traffic go by for hours.....people yelling out of the buses, the limos.....15 years ago, but I remember it like yesterday. I remember some guy giving my friend's father a 20 after the game for parking behind his house all those years.

:P

Thanks for all the posts, gang. Nice to remember what it felt like that day. I was fortunate enough to go to every Bills' home regular season and playoff game from '90 to '93, and few top this one. To be able to sit there for more than a half, realizing that the dream of going to the big one was finally coming true, was unbelievable.

I hope Ralph and Marv can right this ship and give us more memorable moments about which to reminisce.

B-)

toughest ticket in the history of Buffalo sports.

575849[/snapback]

I got a call at 11pm the night before from a friend asking if I wanted to go and use the extra ticket they had.

I was not trying to get tickets at the time, either. I had settled long before on the fact that you had to know someone to get into that gig. I knew right then that I had hit the friggin jackpot of all jackpots.

Admit it...how many of you thought we were doomed when the Raiders went up 3-0 on their first drive?

My funniest memory was SF Chronicle columnist Norman Chad predicting in his Friday column that the Raiders were going to dust the Bills. Funny...Norm never followed up on it. Sports columnists, like weather vanes, have short memories. <_<

PTR

i was going to mmi in phoenix and my lab partner was a die hard raiders fan and i had to listen how no way in the world would the bills beat the raiders.what a awesome day,the crappy part about that season as well was i was in phoenix that year for the bills 1st superbowl would have had way more fun home in ny watching the game even though the bills lost!

Pure ecstasy. I remember being there with my friend at halftime with the realization that we were actually going to go to the Super Bowl. Blew my mind.

575795[/snapback]

It was so surreal to have the Bills actually going to the Super Bowl.  There's nothing like your first time!    <_<

575797[/snapback]

You two have perfectly described my most lasting memory from that game. I was twenty-seven at the time and had been a diehard Bills fan since I was old enough to remember watching them on TV and listening to them on the radio as a young tyke. I just kept thinking how un-Bill-ievable the feeling was. It seemed like the Super Bowl was something that other teams' fans were destined to enjoy, not us Bills fans. Very surreal. I was watching on TV, here in Virginia, with my brother (both of us originally from Grand Island) and two buddies (one from Silver Creek and the other from Buffalo). What a feeling to share in that joy with family and friends who were all lifelong Bills fans. It was the next best thing to actually being at the game. Thanks for bringing back those fond memories, especially after the new 'Dark Ages' we've been experiencing. :devil:

i too was at that game, and the game the week b4. it was cold....real cold....but the atmosphere was like an opening day in sept. the game was surreal...almost a blur. we always parked off site and the walk out was like none before. fans were hugging and high fiving people that didn't even know each other. the traffic jam, which would have normally been at least somewhat annoying, was a blast. we didn't want it to end. horns honking for what seemed like forever. our drive back to rochester was more of the same.....it seemed like all of the cars on the thruway were filled with bills fans. it was great. i will never forget it. thanks for this post.

we will be back. go bills!! <_<

I was in ROTC in college and we had a Field Training Exercise at beautiful Fort Dix that weekend. I remember giving my roommates (Eagles fans) strict instructions to tape the game for me.

I got home Sunday afternoon around 4:30 PM. I walk into the apartment and find those guys studying (!). I said, "Don't say a word. I want to shower and watch the Bills game." Bob turned to me and said, "Dude, I'm sorry. I VCR took a s#!t. We only got the first quarter." I stared at him for a few seconds while he sported his best poker face. "Okay (rhymes with bass-whole), who won?", I asked. A smile crept across his face. "I dunno. I don't watch blowouts. Your Bills were ahead 41-3 at the half."

I watched the 1st quarter 4 times.

"The Raiders have just called a basketball timeout to slowdown this fastbreak Buffalo offense." - Bob Trumpy

Admit it...how many of you thought we were doomed when the Raiders went up 3-0 on their first drive?

576689[/snapback]

Not quite, Bills scored first and LA followed up with the FG.

What I remember was listening to the radio the night before, waiting for the war dispatches from Iraq...for some reason, I thought something catostraphic was going to happen over there and I thought the game was going to be postponed...felt they way the whole drive up from DC on the Friday before the game, and the whole way to the stadium on Sunday.

Other than the football, I remember the USMA band marching off toward the tunnel end zone after the National Anthem...chills ran down my spine.