Why the Rush?

soldier

I honestly don't understand why some of you wanted a coach hired "yesterday". Other then the Raiders, we have no competition. People like Sherman and Haslett aren't going anywhere. I would rather the Bills take their time and interview everyone, then hire someone because everyone else is. I think Capers could be a GREAT coach in Buffalo. I would also like to see the Bills bring in Haslet, Martz and Jim Bates, lets make sure they get it right this time. Explore all options.

I live in Wisconsin, and I honestly don't understand the love fest for Sherman. We don't have Brett Favre on our bench ready to save the day. Favre won so many games for him, its crazy. Sherman shoud have had that team in the Super Bowl at least once. Ask any Packer fan around here, and they will say that he totally blew the Philly game a couple of years ago. He could be a good coach in Buffalo, but he isn't a savior. If they do hire him and he brings the West Coast O, its gonna set JP back a couple of seasons, and who knows if he will ever catch on.

I honestly don't understand why some of you wanted a coach hired "yesterday".  Other then the Raiders, we have no competition.  People like Sherman and Haslett aren't going anywhere.  I would rather the Bills take their time and interview everyone, then hire someone because everyone else is.  I think Capers could be a GREAT coach in Buffalo.  I would also like to see the Bills bring in Haslet, Martz and Jim Bates, lets make sure they get it right this time.  Explore all options.

I live in Wisconsin, and I honestly don't understand the love fest for Sherman.  We don't have Brett Favre on our bench ready to save the day.  Favre won so many games for him, its crazy.  Sherman shoud have had that team in the Super Bowl at least once.  Ask any Packer fan around here, and they will say that he totally blew the Philly game a couple of years ago.  He could be a good coach in Buffalo, but he isn't a savior.  If they do hire him and he brings the West Coast O, its gonna set JP back a couple of seasons, and who knows if he will ever catch on.

574962[/snapback]

I agree. This decision doesn't need to happen this instant. Sherman could be the right guy, but let's talk to several candidates first -- some of whom may still be busy preparing for games.

I agree.  This decision doesn't need to happen this instant.  Sherman could be the right guy, but let's talk to several candidates first -- some of whom may still be busy preparing for games.

574973[/snapback]

It doesn't need to happen right this second, but the teams have been filling these vacancies this week primarily because the Senior Bowl is next weekend and they want their coaches and staff in place ASAP to look at players for the draft. It would be nice if the Bills had everything in order soon, but they should also try not to rush it, like you said.

Don't underestimate this, either. This is usually a huge scouting venue and if you have your staff intact and ready to go, your organization can have a plan going into the scouting trip and you can come away with good ideas on what players to draft.

The problem is that the Bills are about a week behind everyone else, thanks to Mularkey dropping the bomb 6 days after he said he'd keep the job.

Thanks, Mike. :(

I agree.  This decision doesn't need to happen this instant.  Sherman could be the right guy, but let's talk to several candidates first -- some of whom may still be busy preparing for games.

574973[/snapback]

The problem is we might lose out on good quality position coaches and

coordinators who are currently in hot demand....Look at all the critical signings.

If we delay the sherman or juron hiring, then we will probably not get a

Haslett or a Bates as the DC....Remember we have fired quite a few of our

assistants and both (probably) coordinators....The sooner we have a HC then

he gets to pick his assistants from the currently big pool.

I honestly don't understand why some of you wanted a coach hired "yesterday".  Other then the Raiders, we have no competition.  People like Sherman and Haslett aren't going anywhere.  I would rather the Bills take their time and interview everyone, then hire someone because everyone else is.  I think Capers could be a GREAT coach in Buffalo.  I would also like to see the Bills bring in Haslet, Martz and Jim Bates, lets make sure they get it right this time.  Explore all options.

I live in Wisconsin, and I honestly don't understand the love fest for Sherman.  We don't have Brett Favre on our bench ready to save the day.  Favre won so many games for him, its crazy.  Sherman shoud have had that team in the Super Bowl at least once.  Ask any Packer fan around here, and they will say that he totally blew the Philly game a couple of years ago.  He could be a good coach in Buffalo, but he isn't a savior.  If they do hire him and he brings the West Coast O, its gonna set JP back a couple of seasons, and who knows if he will ever catch on.

574962[/snapback]

They need to hire someone ASAP! The Senior Bowl is coming up and it is important to have coaches there to evaluate talent and also possibly hire assistant coaches. If we wait, the pool of quality assistants will be shortened quite a bit. I think Sherman is the right choice and he might be able to lure Bates with him to coach the defense. Dick Jauron would be a terrible mistake.

It doesn't need to happen right this second, but the teams have been filling these vacancies this week primarily because the Senior Bowl is next weekend and they want their coaches and staff in place ASAP to look at players for the draft. It would be nice if the Bills had everything in order soon, but they should also try not to rush it, like you said.

Don't underestimate this, either. This is usually a huge scouting venue and if you have your staff intact and ready to go, your organization can have a plan going into the scouting trip and you can come away with good ideas on what players to draft.

The problem is that the Bills are about a week behind everyone else, thanks to Mularkey dropping the bomb 6 days after he said he'd keep the job.

Thanks, Mike.      :(

574978[/snapback]

It seems like anyone who is HC material in the NFL ought to take it upon themselves to scout the Senior Bowl -- with or without an association to any particular team. Even if someone is hired by end of week, would he have time to assemble his entire staff in one week?! I don't think this is a valid enough reason to rush the decision.

Ok, I'm usually willing to give newbies the benefit of the doubt, but please explain this statement:

I think Capers could be a GREAT coach in Buffalo.

574962[/snapback]

WHAT has Capers done, other than his second season in Carolina, some 10 years ago, to warrant any prediction of greatness?

Furthermore, enough with the "West Coast Offense" crap. There is no such thing. WCO terminology is an excuse for fans who don't know any better to sound intelligent. Brett Favre hardly played a "dink and dunk" offense in GB, and they certainly utilized the running game. If that's the offensive system Sherman would bring to Buffalo, I'm all for it.

DING! Boo-yah!!

coordinators who are currently in hot demand....Look at all the critical signings.

574979[/snapback]

I agree. I will be pissed if the Bills drag their feet too long, and then lose someone like Bobby April, because of it. There have been 7 coaching vacancies filled in the last week and a half. Those new coaches are scrambling for assistants.

574979[/snapback]

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!!

You snooze - you lose !

Every hour is critical and the Nero fiddled while Rome burned.

C'mon Marv - let's go.

WTF - why interview Capers? Yikes!

It's not easy to make winners out of expansion franchises. I guess the thing that I really like about Capers is that his team never quit down the stretch. They could have won every game, of course they didn't, but they put up better effort then the Bills did some weeks.

As for the Losman/WO thing, I guess what I meant to say:

Losman is not Favre, the Bills O will not be as effective as GB.

They need to hire someone ASAP! The Senior Bowl is coming up and it is important to have coaches there to evaluate talent and also possibly hire assistant coaches. If we wait, the pool of quality assistants will be shortened quite a bit. I think Sherman is the right choice and he might be able to lure Bates with him to coach the defense. Dick Jauron would be a terrible mistake.

574980[/snapback]

Actually, as the Bills have a significant # of position coaches (such as JMac coaching OL) part of the job requirements for a new HC is that rather than bringing in his own team for the most part he will need to commit to be able tow work with a bunch of guys we already got.

If they cannot or do not want to do this, then its thanks but adios go work somewhere else.

There will be a number of openings of positions of fired guys like Krumrie, but the irony here is that as there are a number of talents holding on in the hopes they will land an HC or co-ordinator slot that when those jobs don't materialize you may well have a number of talents at the Ted Cottrell level actually takimg position coach jobs like LB coach.

Teams would certainly have trouble if they need to build an entire staff from scratch with a late hire, but the numbers look like the Bills should be able to fill in the gaps of getting a qualified position coach here or there.

As far as the Senior Bowl, it is a job market not only for player talent but for coaching talent. Everybody will be there and the Bills led by GM Marv and a host of college player scouts will be there doing assessment and talking to folks.

It certainly would be better if we had an HC in charge and an agreed upon vision with which to measure players that an HC it is to be hoped brings, but quite frankly even if we hired an HC early this week or last week he would not have had time to spread his vision to the team.

While more desirable to have a returning HC in position, that ain;t gonna happen. There will be problems but nothing that cannot be compensated for or recovered from.

However, if we rush into making a choice and get some new version of a GW level HC, that is a mistake we will not recover from for years.

It's far better to do his well instead of simply doing it fast.

I agree.  I will be pissed if the Bills drag their feet too long, and then lose someone like Bobby April, because of it.  There have been 7 coaching vacancies filled in the last week and a half.  Those new coaches are scrambling for assistants.

574984[/snapback]

April is still under contract.

April is still under contract.

575049[/snapback]

I believe (and I may be wrong) if another team offers him a promotion of some kind, he can get out of his contract. I had heard on FOX, that a few teams had already inquired about him...

It's not easy to make winners out of expansion franchises.  I guess the thing that I really like about Capers is that his team never quit down the stretch.  They could have won every game, of course they didn't, but they put up better effort then the Bills did some weeks.

As for the Losman/WO thing,  I guess what I meant to say:

Losman is not Favre, the Bills O will not be as effective as GB.

574989[/snapback]

Favre wasn't "Favre" in year 2 either.

I believe (and I may be wrong) if another team offers him a promotion of some kind, he can get out of his contract.  I had heard on FOX, that a few teams had already inquired about him...

575052[/snapback]

they'd have to make him HEAD coach to improve on his asst HC title.

Not likely

Simply put while i generally don't agree alot with these pretender websites, i do agree with this one from Realfootball365.com's article: "At this point, trying to read the Bills' organization and figuring who their new head coach will be is about as easy as quantum physics. Most Bills fans that I've spoken with want Sherman, but will the organization see it that way? Either way, the team needs to find a successor to Mike Mularkey right away. The Senior Bowl practices begin next weekend for college players, and that's where coaches scout college players with the remainder of the staff. How are the Bills going to put a staff together in time for next weekend and be adequately prepared for scouting? It's imperative that they name a coach by the end of this upcoming weekend"

yeah we have our "scouts" but that is exactly what worries me....thank god at least for modrak!!!

574980[/snapback]

Lets not forget we passed over Weis because he was not gunno be available until after the Super Bowl, and lord what kind of staff could he put together etc, etc..so we end up with MM.

I say interview everybody, at this stage not really fighting anybody else for the talent.

I hope if Pittsburgh loses this weekend, we bring in LaBeau for an interview. He should be somewhat familiar with the players, everybody is crediting him for his game planning in the playoffs, many people on this board believe he was the brains behind Greys D, when we were second, and he worked for a chit organiztion when he was in Cinci.

Now Cinci changed since then, but you need to evaluate him by what it was like when he was there.

I believe (and I may be wrong) if another team offers him a promotion of some kind, he can get out of his contract.  I had heard on FOX, that a few teams had already inquired about him...

575052[/snapback]

OK, then we promote him.

Special Teams coach and VP in charge of Potholes in the parking lot (I think Marv indicated a vacancy). :devil:

Krumrie was hired today by KC

574998[/snapback]

Thank you for posting this. I wasn't aware of this info.

I am thrilled to hear that Coach K got another job, and I hope that a raise was included. One of my best RWS memories was sitting behind him in the first row and watching him, on a 39 degree rainy day, run around the sidelines like a lunatic, wearing no coat of course.

As I recall, he has children in college. Yes, it is great to see a good man land on his feet. Too bad he will have to deal with Edwards, and watch him promptly ruin the Chiefs. :devil:

Good luck Coach K, and thanks!

The only reason to hurry is if you're worried about losing out on a DC or OC. But again those aren't likely to fill to quick till the last coaching slots are filled. The nthings wil lcascade downward. If they hire Sherman, a good chance Bates comes too. So then have filled on coord slot. Then they just need to work on OC. And even without, they have the nucleus of the offensive staff in place. Plus Sherman is from offensive side, so again not too bad there.

It would be hard for another team to offer April a promotion other than assistant HC/special teams, so not too nervious there either.

I believe there's an edict in place from the NFL that says, though shalt not hire coaches or call a press conference while playoff games are going on or will be struck by lightening. Over the weekend they want all attention on the games and nothing else. So essentially no one can hire anyone till Monday. Not that they can't have a deal in place, but no actual hires announced.

Teams would certainly have trouble if they need to build an entire staff from scratch with a late hire,

574993[/snapback]

You mean like that team that misfired, er, hired on Gregg Williams a few years ago and he had to hire a staff of coaches straight out of school?