Top Story on 11pm Channel 7 news

HE has made informal contact?

569234[/snapback]

Informal Contact:

Jim: Yo Ralph, I am interested...

Ralph: Thanks Jim, I will keep that in mind....

Formal Contact:

Jim: Mr. Wilson, I would like to apply for the head coaching position of the Buffalo Bills Football Club of the National Football League

Ralph: Please fill out this form in triplicate and pee into this cup...

He said informal contact has been made.  They didn't imply who made the contact.

569240[/snapback]

After using my wonderful DVR to rewatch this fine piece of reporting, Zac is correct. Russo doesn't say who made informal contact with who, but nevertheless informal contact has been made.

Still find it hard to believe that such a non-story tops the 11pm news.

After using my wonderful DVR to rewatch this fine piece of reporting, Zac is correct.  Russo doesn't say who made informal contact with who, but nevertheless informal contact has been made. 

Still find it hard to believe that such a non-story tops the 11pm news.

569253[/snapback]

How do they top it tomorrow. I think "Recent Speculation" will lead.

Hmmm...

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/arti...he_hall/?page=4

Next in line?

Word on the snowdrifts of Buffalo is that Levy wants to hire ex-Bill Jim Haslett to coach but Haslett wants more money than owner Ralph Wilson wants to pay. Levy also has an interest in bringing back former defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell. Haslett is not talking because he's also a candidate with the Jets, although not the leading one. A decision in New York should be made by the end of next week. The Jets will interview Patriots defensive coordinator Eric Mangini today about the opening.

HE has made informal contact?

569234[/snapback]

In other words Jim called up Ralph but talked to Marv and said, "I heard you guys are looking for a new head coach."

Marv mumbled something back about letting your actions speak so loud that noone can hear what you say.

The top story on the Channel 7 11:00 newscast tonight was...Jim Haslett has not yet been interviewed by the Bills but told Channel 7 that he has made informal contact with team officials.

Top story.

Not in sports.  Top story overall.

I am serious. 

Holy God.

569233[/snapback]

It's better than the usual "Our taxes are going up, our churches are closing, the weather sucks, and the Bills lost." God I miss that town.

Two things... first, if Mangina was offered the Jets job, Jim ain't getting that one. Secondly Ralph said price isn't a problem, we'll see if he's feeding us BS.

I miss the good old days. Informal conversations never led the channel 7 news, it was always pistol packing punks and 5 alarm blazes in Cheektowaga.

569242[/snapback]

No, it's "Buffalo blazebusters put out another barnburner on Broadway."

Informal Contact:

Jim:  Yo Ralph, I am interested...

Ralph:  Thanks Jim, I will keep that in mind....

Formal Contact:

Jim:  Mr. Wilson, I would like to apply for the head coaching position of the Buffalo Bills Football Club  of the National Football League

Ralph: Please fill out this form in triplicate and pee into this cup...

569241[/snapback]

:w00t::angry::angry:

Haslett's agent calls Ralph, says, "Mr. Wilson, I'd like my client to get an interview for the vacant coaching position".

Wilson replies by spitting up a phlegm ball before hanging up.

Haslett's agent takes it as a "maybe".

Eyewitness News has their top story.

Hmmm...

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/arti...he_hall/?page=4

Next in line?

Word on the snowdrifts of Buffalo is that Levy wants to hire ex-Bill Jim Haslett to coach but Haslett wants more money than owner Ralph Wilson wants to pay. Levy also has an interest in bringing back former defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell. Haslett is not talking because he's also a candidate with the Jets, although not the leading one. A decision in New York should be made by the end of next week. The Jets will interview Patriots defensive coordinator Eric Mangini today about the opening.

569281[/snapback]

what's that they say about leopards and spots?

I wouldn't trust anything Ron Borges has to say about the Bills.  Huge Donahoe guy.

Also, check out last week's www.bostonsportsmediawatch.com for more on Borges' track record.  Hardly exemplary.

569562[/snapback]

hmm. while it wouldn't surprise me if it's true, i also wouldn't put it past donohoe to feed borges that if they are in fact friends.

It came out of RW's own mouth last week that when hiring a coach, money is no object. Could it be Fred Smerlas is planting stories in Boston to drive up Haslett's price?

WGRZ 11pm News/SportsExtra last night said Jim Haslett is the heavy favorite. They also named the same guys as Friday as still being candidates as well.

You shouldn't have to overspend to get Haslett.  He's hardly lit the coaching world on fire.

569559[/snapback]

He reportedly was getting $3 mil plus at NO. Double what he was worth? I don't understand the salary scale for NFL coaches. Hiring a success story for big bucks is one thing; hiring a re-cycled failure is another.