What will TD's next move be?

Corp000085

It hasn't been discussed on here, but what will TD's next move be? We all love to watch our failures (RJ, Bledsoe, todd collins, etc.) afterwards to see what they do or how they screw up again, and TD is no different. The guy had a pretty good football rep before he came to the bills and he was a ESPN guy too. Does he go back to the media? immediately go to another team? take some time off? leave the nfl for good? who cares??

Personally, i'd love for him to go to another team so i could watch and see if there are similarities as to what he did in buffalo and pittsburgh. Maybe the pats will pick him up. He and bill should get along great!

The guy has a real passion for college sports...I could see him fit as a Div 1-AA AD like IUP where he went to school or a lesser Div I school in the region.

He is well off financially and should do something he enjoys. I think the last 5 years really wore on him...there were moments of fun -- first half of '02; last half of '04--but mostly criticism and drudgery...his instinct will be to try and prove that this failure was a fluke--but I think that's the wrong direction.

I think he will re-surface somewhere, if not this year, then next, as a GM in the NFL...when rumor of his firing started swirling, nearly every NFL person (in and out of the leauge) who commented on it, precluded his statements with comments like "this guy is one of the best in the NFL." Right or wrong, he is still respected. He would be wise to go to a team with a cheap owner (like Ralph) and a losing tradition (like the Bills for roughly three quaters of their existence). The Arizona Cardinals are coming to mind...they are bound to need a new GM sooner or later!

Too young for Wal-Mart greeter. Tom Donohoe as one of the most respected GM's in NFL. What about Bill Polian. Donohoe was known for arguing with Bill Cowher over his draft choices, he ends up leaving and the STeelers are in the playoffs. How can anyone say Donohoe is respected with a 31-47 record over his 5 years as GM. Bills and Houston were the only teams not to make the playoffs over last 5 years as well. :w00t:

How can anyone say Donohoe is respected

Maybe it has something to do with the 115-77 record his teams put together in Pittsburgh? Or the 5 division titles they won? Or the 3 conference championships they played in? Or the plethora of fantastic drafts, personell decisions or great coaching hires he made?

But I guess one disapointing 5-11 season is more important than all that. :w00t:

But I guess one disapointing 5-11 season is more important than all that.  :w00t:

557534[/snapback]

Five disappointing 31-49 seasons are, though, along with a plethora of questionable moves and decisions that unfortunately outweigh the good ones.

It hasn't been discussed on here, but what will TD's next move be?  We all love to watch our failures (RJ, Bledsoe, todd collins, etc.) afterwards to see what they do or how they screw up again, and TD is no different.  The guy had a pretty good football rep before he came to the bills and he was a ESPN guy too.  Does he go back to the media?  immediately go to another team?  take some time off?  leave the nfl for good?  who cares??

Personally, i'd love for him to go to another team so i could watch and see if there are similarities as to what he did in buffalo and pittsburgh.  Maybe the pats will pick him up.  He and bill should get along great!

557333[/snapback]

If history is an indication, he will be the GM of a Super Bowl winning team in the next 5 years. His tenure in Buffalo reminds me a ton of Bowmans.

Lets face, something in the air or water in WNY makes these guys lose thier touch when they relocate to WNY :w00t:

Maybe it has something to do with the 115-77 record his teams put together in Pittsburgh? Or the 5 division titles they won? Or the 3 conference championships they played in? Or the plethora of fantastic drafts, personell decisions or great coaching hires he made?

But I guess one disapointing 5-11 season is more important than all that.  :w00t:

557534[/snapback]

One disappointing 5-11 season, Simon?

How about 3-13? Want to give him a pass on that because he got us out of cap hell, fine.

Or 8-8? That was a good year, except we were 5-3 at midpoint and imploded.

Then there was 6-10, did you like that one?

Or how about the 0-4 start to the 9-7 season last year and the horrible denouement against Pittsburgh, did you like that?

Did you like five straight years of no playoffs after having made the playoffs in ten of the past thirteen seasons?

How about being so impressed with Gregg Williams' laptop full of lists that you not only hire him, but let him hire Mike Sheppard, Jerry Gray and Danny Smith to run the three units? That worked out so well that two of them had to be fired and they had to bring in Dick LeBeau to hold the third guy's hand. Then there was the whole Kevin Gilbride fiasco. In fact, the three OCs we had during Donahoe's tenure here amounted to a steaming pile of stojan.

The guy did some good things here, true. But when it comes right down to it, as he himself said, the bottom line is all that matters. The bottom line is wins and he gave us a product that averaged six fuggin wins a year for five years.

It's pretty obvious why there was a power struggle in Pittsburgh between him and Cowher and it's even more obvious why he lost it. Pittsburgh's had a pretty nice run these last six years, no? Or doesn't 15-1 float your boat, Simon?

Five disappointing 31-49 seasons are, though, along with a plethora of questionable moves and decisions that unfortunately outweigh the good ones.

557549[/snapback]

First off you can put that 3-13 season in John Butler's lap. Donahoe did a great job cleaning up that mess quickly and then starting to stock the Bills with good talent.

Second, your assertation that his bad moves outweight his good ones is specious at best.

And thirdly, drop the nonsens about 5 disappointing season since at the beginning of this year almost everybody on here was singing his praises and was happy with the direction the Bills were moving.

But one year in which the Bills weren't going to contend anyways is suddenly submarined by a couple subpar coordinators, a plethora of OLine injuries and a rookie QB and suddenly the GM is the devil.

Whatever.

Or 8-8? That was a good year, except we were 5-3 at midpoint and imploded.

Then there was 6-10, did you like that one?

Or how about the 0-4 start to the 9-7 season last year and the horrible denouement against Pittsburgh, did you like that?

Nothing like picking out all the bad when making an assessment. That's pretty fair.

How about being so impressed with Gregg Williams' laptop full of lists

Gee he hired a dynamic young coordinator who was well thought of in league circles. Kind of like the Cowher hire? When he realized it wasn't going to work out, he let him go. The Bills were going to contend in those first three years anyway, so what's the big deal? He took a shot that didn't work out, but no harm was done and he corrected it w/o offering the guy a second contract and then brought in better guys.

It's pretty obvious why there was a power struggle in Pittsburgh between him and Cowher and it's even more obvious why he lost it. Pittsburgh's had a pretty nice run these last six years, no? Or doesn't 15-1 float your boat, Simon?

Yeah BRH, 15-1 is pretty nice. And Pittsburgh's run has been pretty nice over the last 15 years, BRH. Of course since Donahoe left Pittsburgh, the Stillers have had less personell turnover than any team in the NFL so 6 years later nearly half of their starters and the core of their team are still TD guys, BRH. Since he was "obviously" the problem after 10 succesful years, wouldn't you think that in less than 6 fuggin years that Pittsburgh might be able to improve on all his terrible work?

The guy did some good things here, true. But when it comes right down to it, as he himself said, the bottom line is all that matters. The bottom line is wins and he gave us a product that averaged six fuggin wins a year for five years.

No arguments there. His work hadn't been good enough or come to fruition yet. I just think that the Bills made a real mistake not giving it one more year and instead firing an historically succesful GM and replacing him with a fanfavoritefigurehead with no experience as an NFL GM.

A plethora? Mike Williams is a plethora all by himself?

Since August injuries have felled RTucker, KEverett, BSobieski, CVillarial, LSmith, TEuhus, MWilliams, MCampbell, and GJerman. That's 9 freaking guys from just one unit. But don't let that stop your spin machine.