Here is what I'm hearing....

SDS

As for coaches - again, Marvin Lewis's wife HATED Buffalo and Lewis gave us a courtesy interview...

The part about Losman not being a cancer, is more to the Flutie/Johnson thing where the locker room was clearly divided against certain players. No one is against Losman because of personality issues.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, NO coach in the NFL resigns unless he knows his next job is already lined up or he knows he's about to be fired.  To suggest otherwise is foolish.

As for the other statements, without more information about the source it's impossible to assess their validity.

552891[/snapback]

Gray will have no problem finding another job as a DC if he wishes. I could see him quitting if his authority was stripped and he was forced to follow someone elses game plan.

It would certainly explain the vast difference between the past two years and this.

I believe you SDS. I have some insight into the working at TBD and Ralph does have a big say on what goes on. Just look back to the RJ and Flutie situation. I also think Donahoe has handcuffed on only spending so much on his next head coach. Which explains two cordinators in five years.

552893[/snapback]

TD was pretty handcuffed financially in Pittsburgh. He had to let FA after FA go each year and when it came time to replace Noll, he went with a guy who had never been a head coach before. That Cowher guy turned out to be pretty good.

Now it's an excuse for TD that he was handcuffed financially?

Makes sense, but still doesn't answer the $1MM Q, who was behind the QB decision in February and not reopening the competition in camp, when it was obvious that JP wasn't ready?

Whoever decided the QB switch set the stage for the failed outcome, and should pay the price.  Wilson hinted that TD was behind the move. That's my guess why MM is staying put.  But, if it was Wilson, then this franchise is deservedly doomed to perpetual failure.

552889[/snapback]

I have no idea about the Bledsoe/Losman decision...

The part about Losman not being a cancer, is more to the Flutie/Johnson thing where the locker room was clearly divided against certain players.  No one is against Losman because of personality issues.

552894[/snapback]

I'll go with that. You don't see or hear anything about Losman trying to poison players and media against KH, for one thing... which was something Flutie did all the time.

Take the above FWIW - commentary about the entertainment business. No one is going to war over this info, so it's not a big deal if fans are skeptical, or if parts aren't totally accurate.

Nothing here strikes me as being outrageous.

when did cowher take over for noll, that seems eons ago, it is a different nfl world today

TD was pretty handcuffed financially in Pittsburgh.  He had to let FA after FA go each year and when it came time to replace Noll, he went with a guy who had never been a head coach before.  That Cowher guy turned out to be pretty good.

Now it's an excuse for TD that he was handcuffed financially?

552906[/snapback]

Fox would have cost the same amount as Gregg Williams, as would Lewis (whether he wanted the job or not is another question).

And if Donahoe's coaching choices were truly limited by salary restrictions, why was he allowed to sign an unproven commodity to a guranteed contract 5 years in length?

To me, the salary restriction portion of it is a poor excuse.

- Donahoe's coaching choices were limited more by salary restrictions than other factors

552862[/snapback]

- Donahoe is stunned at some of the things people are saying about him.  He actually worries about his family with the highly charged atmosphere.

552862[/snapback]

Donohoe never has quite absorbed just how crazy Bills fans can be. Remember how pissed/shocked he was at all the Gregg Williams bashing? Must have been easier to be a G.M. before the age of the internet and chat boards!!

By the way, i actually think it's tougher to be a coach/G.M. in Buffalo than a major market. The small army of media here can be brutal and there's nowhere to run or hide. At least in a big market there's a bunch of other sports teams and failures in any given year.

but is being a "good soldier" for the team as changes are made

- Losman is NOT a cancer in the locker room, players just recognize he isn't ready.

- Donahoe's coaching choices were limited more by salary restrictions than other factors

- Losman's early season benching have Ralph's fingerprints on it

- Losman is more hurt than the team is saying

- Donahoe is stunned at some of the things people are saying about him.  He actually worries about his family with the highly charged atmosphere.

552862[/snapback]

The surprise info is Jerry Gray tendering his resignation - what a scoop, if true, and what an honorable move. It does make sense since Gray was basically imposed upon Mularkey when he came in because we thought we had such a good defense at the time. Kind of how people want to impose Bobby April on a putative Mularkey successor.

Some of the other stuff is no surprise. Losman shows no signs of being a cancer, and every sign of just plain not being good enough at this stage. Ralph Wilson wanting to win now (and Holcomb did give us a chance to win now) is also no surprise.

We'll see how hurt Losman really is, I guess - but am still not sure I buy it. Why would Mularkey risk a fine by forging an NFL injury report for a meaningless game?

And finally, I don't believe that we passed up John Fox and Charlie Weis because we couldn't meet their salary demands - not for a minute.

JDG

Fox would have cost the same amount as Gregg Williams, as would Lewis (whether he wanted the job or not is another question).

And if Donahoe's coaching choices were truly limited by salary restrictions, why was he allowed to sign an unproven commodity to a guranteed contract 5 years in length?

To me, the salary restriction portion of it is a poor excuse.

552924[/snapback]

take it for what it's worth, but the rumor is that wilson was opposed to fox because fox quit on al davis (and justifiably did so). davis is a longstanding buddy of ralph.

but is being a "good soldier" for the team as changes are made

- Losman is NOT a cancer in the locker room, players just recognize he isn't ready.

- Losman's early season benching have Ralph's fingerprints on it

- Losman is more hurt than the team is saying

552862[/snapback]

Don't buy the one about Gray, but the others sound plausible.

If Ralph wants a coach on the cheap that's his right, but how about giving them some incentive like a bonus for making the playoffs that increases with each playoff game won? Is that so hard?