Here is what I'm hearing....

SDS

Donohoe never has quite absorbed just how crazy Bills fans can be.  Remember how pissed/shocked he was at all the Gregg Williams bashing?  Must have been easier to be a G.M. before the age of the internet and chat boards!!

By the way,  i actually think it's tougher to be a coach/G.M. in Buffalo than a major market.  The small army of media here can be brutal and there's nowhere to run or hide.  At least in a big market there's a bunch of other sports teams and failures in any given year.

552929[/snapback]

I think, too, that Donahoe had the advantage in PGH of being a local boy. Wasn't his grandfather the governor of PA or some stojan like that?

Here he was always seen as sort of an interloper from the outside, come to tell us how they did it Pittsburgh and how it was better than what we did here. (Greggo learned that lesson his first year here when he came in with all that "this is how we did it in Tennessee" garbage.)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fox would have cost the same amount as Gregg Williams, as would Lewis (whether he wanted the job or not is another question).

And if Donahoe's coaching choices were truly limited by salary restrictions, why was he allowed to sign an unproven commodity to a guranteed contract 5 years in length?

To me, the salary restriction portion of it is a poor excuse.

552924[/snapback]

the point is, he wasn't bringing in former NFL Head Coach "A" if he wanted $3M/yr.

take it for what it's worth, but the rumor is that wilson was opposed to fox because fox quit on al davis (and justifiably did so).  davis is a longstanding buddy of ralph.

552935[/snapback]

Huh?

I thought Ralph was always pissed at Al for giving him damaged goods in return for Daryle Lamonica and vowed never to trade with him again. And he didn't, until he sent him a third-rounder for Billy Joe Gunrack. That sure worked out.

Fair enough.

Perhaps Fox wasn't an option. In any case, doesn't matter anymore. I just find it peculiar that the GM/Prez on this team is handicapped financially in hiring his head coach, yet he can freely commit 5 years of GUARANTEED $ to an unproven commodity.

take it for what it's worth, but the rumor is that wilson was opposed to fox because fox quit on al davis (and justifiably did so).  davis is a longstanding buddy of ralph.

552935[/snapback]

Huh?

I thought Ralph was always pissed at Al for giving him damaged goods in return for Daryle Lamonica and vowed never to trade with him again.  And he didn't, until he sent him a third-rounder for Billy Joe Gunrack.  That sure worked out.

552950[/snapback]

no, my understanding is that they get along, although ralph surely must get irritated at the lawsuits and turmoil generated by the raiders. i really think that aside from jerry jones, wilson is one of the only owners that davis considers a friend (such as it is with him).

Fair enough.

Perhaps Fox wasn't an option.  In any case, doesn't matter anymore.  I just find it peculiar that the GM/Prez on this team is handicapped financially in hiring his head coach, yet he can freely commit 5 years of GUARANTEED $ to an unproven commodity.

552952[/snapback]

it's long been that way with ralph. players get paid, and management doesn't. even donohoe was making a pittance compared to other gms (much less gms/team presidents). why do you think butler left? he was making $1 million for the bills and ended up getting something like $5 million from SD. there was no way in hell wilson was going to match that. it's just the way he is, like it or not.

no, my understanding is that they get along, although ralph surely must get irritated at the lawsuits and turmoil generated by the raiders. i really think that aside from jerry jones, wilson is one of the only owners that davis considers a friend (such as it is with him).

552955[/snapback]

Hm. I think that may be more because they are two of the original AFL owners left standing. Like if you go back for your 75th college reunion and the only other guy left was a total d1ck in college, but you have to talk to him because he's the only one left. :D

Hm.  I think that may be more because they are two of the original AFL owners left standing.  Like if you go back for your 75th college reunion and the only other guy left was a total d1ck in college, but you have to talk to him because he's the only one left.  :lol:

552966[/snapback]

:D:lol::lol:

Fair enough.

Perhaps Fox wasn't an option.  In any case, doesn't matter anymore.  I just find it peculiar that the GM/Prez on this team is handicapped financially in hiring his head coach, yet he can freely commit 5 years of GUARANTEED $ to an unproven commodity.

552952[/snapback]

Except when you consider that those 5 years are less than $6 million in guaranteed money. By comparison, the top HCs in the league make almost that much for 1 year.

Guest BackInDaDay
Hm.  I think that may be more because they are two of the original AFL owners left standing.  Like if you go back for your 75th college reunion and the only other guy left was a total d1ck in college, but you have to talk to him because he's the only one left.  :D

552966[/snapback]

Davis wasn't in the 'foolish gang' ( the name given the orignal AFL owners ) .

The Raiders were orignally owned by a couple of other guys- don't recall their names. These were the two guys who Ralph lent money to to keep their franchise from failing and taking the league with it.

Except when you consider that those 5 years are less than $6 million in guaranteed money. By comparison, the top HCs in the league make almost that much for 1 year.

552987[/snapback]

exactly.

BTW, I don't remember Fox being the top candidate either. He was a poor man's Lewis if I recall.

Hm.  I think that may be more because they are two of the original AFL owners left standing.  Like if you go back for your 75th college reunion and the only other guy left was a total d1ck in college, but you have to talk to him because he's the only one left.  :lol:

552966[/snapback]

:D

So true. When I was working for a wine importer/liquor store in Boston in the early 90s we used to supply the stuff for the Harvard reunions. Each graduating year would put in an order for booze, beer, wine, mixers, etc. When you got down to some of the older reunions all they would order was a 1 litre bottle of tonic water. :lol: I used to go in early so I could grab all the PO's for those reunions, and stick my partner with the ones that were huge. Ah yes...reeling in the years.

Think about the people writing letters or emailing him... There are a lot of stupid people screaming "We must protect this house!" out there...

552884[/snapback]

I remember being home for Christmas the week Gregg Williams was fired. I was embarassed by some of the comments that fans were making...a lot of it was way over the line. I can only imagine what Donohoe is hearing. I don't think it is a condemnation of Bills fans specifically, just sports fans in general.

As much as I hate some of the results of TD's decisions over the years, I would never question that he failed for lack of effort of trying to build a great team. I hardly believe he deserves all of the blame for this mess. The more Ralph Wilson has become involved over the last few days, and the more being "leaked", I have to say, that some of those old pre-Kelly era anti-Wilson feelings are starting to come back...

I can't tell you how depressed the current state of this team makes me. It almost feels like the early 80's all over again.... :D

it's long been that way with ralph. players get paid, and management doesn't. even donohoe was making a pittance compared to other gms (much less gms/team presidents).  why do you think butler left? he was making $1 million for the bills and ended up getting something like $5 million from SD. there was no way in hell wilson was going to match that. it's just the way he is, like it or not.

552959[/snapback]

Butler left because he was fired. :D

I remember being home for Christmas the week Gregg Williams was fired.  I was embarassed by some of the comments that fans were making...a lot of it was way over the line.  I can only imagine what Donohoe is hearing. I don't think it is a condemnation of Bills fans specifically, just sports fans in general. 

As much as I hate some of the results of TD's decisions over the years, I would never question that he failed for lack of effort of trying to build a great team.  I hardly believe he deserves all of the blame for this mess.  The more Ralph Wilson has become involved over the last few days, and the more being "leaked", I have to say, that some of those old pre-Kelly era anti-Wilson feelings are starting to come back...

I can't tell you how depressed the current state of this team makes me.  It almost feels like the early 80's all over again.... :D

553014[/snapback]

You're not alone buftex. I feel exactly the same way. :lol:

I remember being home for Christmas the week Gregg Williams was fired.  I was embarassed by some of the comments that fans were making...a lot of it was way over the line.  I can only imagine what Donohoe is hearing. I don't think it is a condemnation of Bills fans specifically, just sports fans in general. 

As much as I hate some of the results of TD's decisions over the years, I would never question that he failed for lack of effort of trying to build a great team.  I hardly believe he deserves all of the blame for this mess.  The more Ralph Wilson has become involved over the last few days, and the more being "leaked", I have to say, that some of those old pre-Kelly era anti-Wilson feelings are starting to come back...

I can't tell you how depressed the current state of this team makes me.  It almost feels like the early 80's all over again.... :D

553014[/snapback]

All of what you say is true. I wish there wasn't so much "absolutism" running rampant. By that I mean suggesting that TD is all good or he is all bad. He made some good moves for the Bills -- and he made some that unfortunately turned out to be not-so-good. The bottom line is that things just didn't work out -- and we need to move in a different direction. It doesn't mean that TD should be demonized. Just thank him for doing the best job he can -- and hope that his successor is able to do what he couldn't.

Look at all of the embarassment that the team has endured in just the past few days alone:

1. Losing to the pitiful Jets

2. Having the coach of the defending college champs refer to the staff he worked with for this team back in 84 as "the worst ever".

3. With all of the Gregg Williams worshiping going on by the national press, we keep hearing that he deserves a reprieve, considering it was in Buffalo where he failed as a head coach.

4. And becasue of ESPN's ties to TD, we are going to continue to hear from Mort and his pals how foolish Wilson was for letting TD go.

Can't you see that when TD winds up at ESPN or wherever else it is he's going, being the spin doctor that he is, he will point out what a no-win situation he faced in Buffalo? And hearing us as fans say cruel and foolish things about him as he heads out the door will only fan that flame.