Hypothetical ? New regime in Buffalo. Top 5 Pick..

KOKBILLS

I'm a JP Guy...I really am...

But while watching the Game today I started thinking if a new Regime comes in could they resist the temptation to take a Brady Quinn or a Vince Young? Especially if you can Trade down a few spots and still get one of them?

No question it would seem to be MUCH easier to re-build this Team with the ability to look away from the QB Position...That is certainly logical. But then again, not every NFL Scout was in love with JP...So assuming the next GM will automatically build around JP, when there could be other options, may be a mistake...

Plus does anyone remember Steve Walsh? That now obsure Trade of Walsh by Dallas to New Orleans gave the Cowboys a 1, 2, and a 3 which went a LONG way in building the the depth of the best Young Roster in Football...Not to mention a 3 time Super Bowl Champ...Not saying the Bills would ever get that for JP, but if he Plays decent in 2006 they certainly could get something...And who knows when you are talking about the QB Position...

So purely hypothetical...What do Bills Fans think? Is QB 100% out of the question in Round #1 of the 2006 Draft if a completely new Regime is in charge? Just curious... :D

Vince Young has stated a couple times he plans on returning to Texas. I say no way to QB. Any QB would get killed behind our line. Some real OL help would help out Willis too and help move the chains. Enough with the skill positions- lets build both lines!

Vince Young has stated a couple times he plans on returning to Texas.  I say no way to QB.  Any QB would get killed behind our line.  Some real OL help would help out Willis too and help move the chains.  Enough with the skill positions- lets build both lines!

529054[/snapback]

No doubt I agree Pete...I don't think there are many QB's who can win without a quality running Game/O-line regardless...

My thought was more along the lines of wondering if Bills Fans would be accepting of a GM who came in and wanted to take a QB? Considering that you just can't assume what the new vision would be...And partially I wonder this because obviously the vision of the current Regme would be 100% away from QB consideration...or would it??? It's not an interior line position so... :D

No doubt I agree Pete...I don't think there are many QB's who can win without a quality running Game/O-line regardless...

My thought was more along the lines of wondering if Bills Fans would be accepting of a GM who came in and wanted to take a QB? Considering that you just can't assume what the new vision would be...And partially I wonder this because obviously the vision of the current Regme would be 100% away from QB consideration...or would it??? It's not an interior line position so... :D

529069[/snapback]

I don't really believe the best path to success in the NFL is by drafting a first round QB. We all know the odds of most QB's making it and I just don't see the upside of tieing down cap room, and wasting games on developmental time. Every year teams acquire FA's, or make trades, and if you do that at least you have a known commodity. Past that you draft QB in the 3rd or later in damn near every year. The thought is eventually you might hit on a good one while your vet is manning the ship.

I like this scenario better then having a first round qb learns on the field while your team deals with his growing pains, all the time hoping he does eventually pan out. So to answer your question, even if they do go in a different direction I hope we don’t draft another 1st round QB anytime soon.

QB's like Leinart and Young come your way once every couple of drafts and there is a possiblity that they will both be available at our pick.

This draft is deep enough at OT that we can likely draft a QB and OT without even trading up into the first round from our pick in the second.

Early Rd 01 -- D'Brickashaw Ferguson (6-5, 296) | Virginia

Early Rd 01 -- Marcus McNeill (6-8, 322) | Auburn

Mid Rd 01 -- Eric Winston (6-6, 310) | Miami

Late Rd 01 -- *Winston Justice (6-6, 300) | Southern California

Late Rd 01 -- Jonathan Scott (6-7, 310) | Texas

Early Rd 02 -- Ryan O'Callaghan (6-7, 365) | California

Mid Rd 02 -- Daryn Colledge (6-5, 296) | Boise State

Mid Rd 02 -- Andrew Whitworth (6-7, 330) | LSU

I'd be really, REALY tempted to grab one of those QB's especially if I could then trade them for picks.

I think Brady Quinn's going to stay one more year and blow the f@#$ up with a full year under Weiss' tuteledge.

I'm a JP Guy...I really am...

But while watching the Game today I started thinking if a new Regime comes in could they resist the temptation to take a Brady Quinn or a Vince Young? Especially if you can Trade down a few spots and still get one of them?

No question it would seem to be MUCH easier to re-build this Team with the ability to look away from the QB Position...That is certainly logical. But then again, not every NFL Scout was in love with JP...So assuming the next GM will automatically build around JP, when there could be other options, may be a mistake...

Plus does anyone remember Steve Walsh? That now obsure Trade of Walsh by Dallas to New Orleans gave the Cowboys a 1, 2, and a 3 which went a LONG way in building the the depth of the best Young Roster in Football...Not to mention a 3 time Super Bowl Champ...Not saying the Bills would ever get that for JP, but if he Plays decent in 2006 they certainly could get something...And who knows when you are talking about the QB Position...

So purely hypothetical...What do Bills Fans think? Is QB 100% out of the question in Round #1 of the 2006 Draft if a completely new Regime is in charge? Just curious... :D

529024[/snapback]

I wouldn't draft a QB in the top 5 picks, if I am the Bills new GM. Despite JP's ugly stats today, he is coming along pretty well, I think. I would consider trading that top 5 pick to a team that needs a QB, say the Ravens, for Jonathan Ogden? The only way the Bills win next year, is to take bold moves to shore up the O-line. QB is not a need at the moment.

QB's like Leinart and Young come your way once every couple of drafts and there is a possiblity that they will both be available at our pick.

This draft is deep enough at OT that we can likely draft a QB and OT without even trading up into the first round from our pick in the second.

Mid  Rd 01 -- Eric Winston (6-6, 310) | Miami 

Late  Rd 01 -- Jonathan Scott (6-7, 310) | Texas

Mid  Rd 02 -- Daryn Colledge (6-5, 296) | Boise State 

Mid  Rd 02 -- Andrew Whitworth (6-7, 330) | LSU

I'd be really, REALY tempted to grab one of those QB's especially if I could then trade them for picks.

I think Brady Quinn's going to stay one more year and blow the f@#$ up with a full year under Weiss' tuteledge.

529095[/snapback]

I REALLY like Brady Quinn...and I'm no Irish Fan...not even close...Just something about the Kid...Reminds me of another guy named Brady...Quinn gives me the impression if given the chance at the end of a game, he will figure out a way to beat you...Just my opinion though... :D

The Browns-Bengals game was on 2 screens down from the Bills game at my sports bar. Now, I don't follow the Browns at all, and I don't know who their OC is, but they looked to be running an NFL-caliber offense... unlike the Bills. :D If the Browns can install a system that gives Charlie Frye :D a chance to compete, I have to believe a real NFL OC can do the same for J.P.

First things first, get rid of MM & TC, and bring in a real NFL OC.

>>>>>

Mid  Rd 01 -- Eric Winston (6-6, 310) | Miami 

Late  Rd 01 -- Jonathan Scott (6-7, 310) | Texas

Mid  Rd 02 -- Daryn Colledge (6-5, 296) | Boise State 

Mid  Rd 02 -- Andrew Whitworth (6-7, 330) | LSU

I'd be really, REALY tempted to grab one of those QB's especially if I could then trade them for picks.<<<<<<

I think that for the Bills to draft a qb in the first round is dumb under these circumstances, unless management (whoever that is) thinks that JP is a failed experiment, AND a team was willing to part with a first round pick for him (doubtful at best). In fact, Rivers might be worth more because nobody has had a chance to see how bad, or even good he is.

If a team wants to trade up for a qb, they can make all the offers they want well before the Bills make their choice. The Bills gave up a lot to get JP. They should give him a chance and draft big, ugly linemen. This way, even if JP never does develop, a foundation will be in place for the next qb.

I REALLY like Brady Quinn...and I'm no Irish Fan...not even close...Just something about the Kid...Reminds me of another guy named Brady...Quinn gives me the impression if given the chance at the end of a game, he will figure out a way to beat you...Just my opinion though... ;)

529119[/snapback]

I would love to get Quinn, too - but the guy we really need in the 2007 draft is Quinn's Center, John Sullivan! (Hell - while we're at it, let's get Jeff Samardzija, too!!!)

IMHO ..... JP doing well or not, we still need to atleast look at drafting a QB. If I remember correctly, our #3 QB had to be talked out of retiring this year to stick around ..... so we may as well write him off .... he's not a long term solution .... as far as Kelly, I think he pretty much showed his limitations with his inability to throw a pass further than 2 yards downfield.

Not to knock any of our QBs ...... but bottom line is we have a pretty raw starter who really hasn't shown anything consistant yet ...... a backup who has some big limitations (and can not be considered as our "future" if JP ultimatly fails), and a third stringer who would really rather be somewhere else.

I don't mean to say we HAVE to draft a real high QB ..... but the team needs to keep it's eyes open.

I REALLY like Brady Quinn...and I'm no Irish Fan...not even close...Just something about the Kid...Reminds me of another guy named Brady...Quinn gives me the impression if given the chance at the end of a game, he will figure out a way to beat you...Just my opinion though... ;)

529119[/snapback]

Quinn will be better than Leinart. Of course, that might not be saying too much.

Young is not coming out (plus he is being projected as a WR in the NFL by some). Quinn has stated repeatedly he is not coming out. Leinart will be long gone.

Do u want to spend your 1st round pick on Omar Jacobs or Drew Olson?? That is not progress, that's a step backwards, taking a few years until you know if he can play or not. No different than with JP, except he has shown flashes, has talent, and will be in his 3rd year. Plus, where the Bills pick, you'd be WAY overpaying for a question mark...probably 15-30 picks too early. That high 1st round $$ would mean u can bring in one fewer free agent at another position of need.

Listen carefully: The answer at QB will be JP LOSMAN for AT LEAST 2-3 more years. Period.

The only "must have" player is Reggie Bush. What ever team drafts this guy will have all the cards. They could do what San Diego did with Eli Manning and rape another team for picks/players.

Leinart has two bum knees and runs just a bit faster than Bledsoe. He would get absolutely murdered behind our O-line. I don't see Quinn and Young coming out this year.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson is way overrated. If the Bills "earn" a top-5 slot in the draft, I wouldn't be opposed to trading down to pick up an extra first day pick.

529206[/snapback]

What is it you don't like about him?

Do you not think that he is the best LT in this draft? Who do you rate higher?

What is it you don't like about him?

Do you not think that he is the best LT in this draft? Who do you rate higher?

529210[/snapback]

I don't necessarily rate any OTs higher, but at the same time I don't think he is worth a #5 pick, which is where most mock drafts have him landing right now.

My biggest concern is that he seems to get injured when things start going south. Now that could be because he isn't a mean, nasty guy -- which is what I like in a OT -- or it could be that he is under 300 pounds. He is bound to get hurt a few times a year if he doesn't continue putting on weight, and if he does keep adding pounds, my guess is that he'll lose that finess that he has right now.

Bottomline -- I don't think will be any better than Jonas Jennings.