Journalism at its finest...

During MM's postgame:

Sully: Who's starting at QB next week?

MM: We'll have to evaluate that....

Sully: So you won't say?

MM: We'll have to evaluate that....

Sully: So we could go the whole season like this...

MM: We'll have to evaluate that...

Sully: So I guess I'll have to go ask the defense :doh:

During MM's postgame:

Sully:  Who's starting at QB next week?

MM:  We'll have to evaluate that....

Sully:  So you won't say?

Sully:  So we could go the whole season like this...

MM:  We'll have to evaluate that...

Sully:  So I guess I'll have to go ask the defense :doh:

470701[/snapback]

I'd consider starting Matthews next week. Why not? He played well last year in mop up roles and outplayed both Losman and Holcomb in the preseason.

During MM's postgame:

Sully:  So I guess I'll have to go ask the defense :doh:

470701[/snapback]

What's wrong with that line of questioning? Whatever you think of JS, he IS a journalist, right? I don't blame him for being frustrated with this org's refusal to give the fans any info.

What's wrong with that line of questioning?  Whatever you think of JS, he IS a journalist, right?  I don't blame him for being frustrated with this org's refusal to give the fans any info.

470717[/snapback]

You're right. I just hate the guy's snide remarks when he doesn't get what he wants. Unprofessional and, frankly, childish.

"So I guess I'll have to go ask the defense" is not a line of questioning.

It's yet another whiny little snipe from a guy(and I use the term loosely) who seems to be whining about something or other every time I see him quoted. He's never insightful, original or entertaining and I find it incredible that he actually holds a job at a large newspaper. There's 50 people on this board who could do his work better than him without breakig a sweat.

You're right.  I just hate the guy's snide remarks when he doesn't get what he wants.  Unprofessional and, frankly, childish.

470729[/snapback]

I think it's a little more than not getting what he wants, but fair enough. I equally hate when the media uses "kid gloves" on the team, and all you hear is propaganda.

It's yet another whiny little snipe from a guy(and I use the term loosely) who seems to be whining about something or other every time I see him quoted. He's never insightful, original or entertaining and I find it incredible that he actually holds a job at a large newspaper. There's 50 people on this board who could do his work better than him without breakig a sweat.

470734[/snapback]

LOL...Really? He's the only one I ever see that actually saying anything that's not scripted by the team.

And if he wasn't original, why do you single him out all the time?

What's wrong with that line of questioning?  Whatever you think of JS, he IS a journalist, right?  I don't blame him for being frustrated with this org's refusal to give the fans any info.

470717[/snapback]

I love MM he is awesome.. He is like Tressel in Columbus (as far as post game comments.. not wins). JS=RJ

And if he wasn't original, why do you single him out all the time?

In 5 years on this board, that might be the second time I've ever mentioned him. So "all the time" should actually be .00004775549188156% of the time.

Although I will admit that it was probably unfair for me to say he's "never" insightful, original or entertaining as I haven't read a large portion of his stuff. The few times I have read his work, it's been no better than high-school quality. And the few times I've read somebody transcribe his post-game "questions" on this board, they've been of grade-school quality.

He just strikes me as a not very bright man and not very talented writer who's far more interested in himself than in anything else around him. And not-so-bright hacks just aren't all that interesting. No offense, but I just think you'd have been better off choosing a career that better suited your skillset.

470717[/snapback]

I agree with you up to the "I'll ask the defense" comment- this time he was ok...it IS his job to ask tough questions, however, he was way out of line after the Tampa Bay game, and should have been removed for disrupting the press conference.

I actually like JS, his problem is that he tries to be a comedian and he isnt. I love the fact that he does not accept the canned answers from One Bills Drive. If it were up to them we would still believe the world was flat.

As far as MM he can not answer tough questions until he gets the approval from his puppet master TD

I actually like JS, his problem is that he tries to be a comedian and he isnt. I love the fact that he does not accept the canned answers from One Bills Drive. If it were up to them we would still believe the world was flat.

As far as MM he can not answer tough questions until he gets the approval from his puppet master TD

471176[/snapback]

His problem is that as a journalist, he thinks he has the right to be rude.....he has no such right, and should be removed from a press conference if he is disruptive...his actions after the Tampa Bay game were grossly unprofessional.

Read the tripe what points of the article do u disagree with.  I aint a Sully fan but tired of this long rebuilding process that isnt rebuilding something that has been neglected since Kelly retired thats the damn OL.

471162[/snapback]

I'd rather not waste my time reading it, but I gather from your post that I think the Bills are somewhat better than you think they are, and much better than Sully thinks they are - 'course they never do anything right in his eyes. :D

I'd rather not waste my time reading it, but I gather from your post that I think the Bills are somewhat better than you think they are, and much better than Sully thinks they are - 'course they never do anything right in his eyes.  :D

471197[/snapback]

Don't underestimate Sully- he knows very well how good the Bills are, but he doesn't get paid to write positive articles- and he does what he' paid to do

:lol: Really?

He's a Sport Op/Ed writer for the Buffalo News, here's his latest tripe.

471130[/snapback]

I counted at least 13 sentences in that article that were about Jerry Sullivan. I'm sure if he really put his mind to it, he could have fit in a couple more statements about himself.

Journalism at its finest. :D

I guess I missed it - what happened after the TB game?

471200[/snapback]

He was asking about how the defense let us down, but he was very sarcastic, refering to our "vaunted" defense, and trying intentionally to get under MM's skin....MUlarkey left after the comment- all Sully did was deprive the legit journalists of the press conference

He was asking about how the defense let us down, but he was very sarcastic, refering to our "vaunted" defense, and trying intentionally to get under MM's skin....MUlarkey left after the comment- all Sully did was deprive the legit journalists of the press conference

471240[/snapback]

Figures. :D

I love the fact that he does not accept the canned answers from One Bills Drive. If it were up to them we would still believe the world was flat.

471176[/snapback]

Who are these people you are talking about?

From reading his columns and hearing him on the radio, IMO, Sully's #1 agenda, whatever the topic, is to make sure he takes the position that makes him appear to be the tough guy.

I love the fact that he does not accept the canned answers from One Bills Drive.

471176[/snapback]

I'm just the opposite. I love the fact that the coaching staff/front office never gives him an answer he wants. Despite what Sully and the fans think, the team doesn't owe them a straight answer on who is hurt or who is starting.

I'm just the opposite.  I love the fact that the coaching staff/front office never gives him an answer he wants.  Despite what Sully and the fans think, the team doesn't owe them a straight answer on who is hurt or who is starting.

471283[/snapback]

I couldn't agree with you more, and I'm upset that I didn't think of that first! :D

He is just disappointed that we won. He also is extremely pissed that he has been so wrong about the QB position. His article today was really pathetic. He essentially wrote that the Bills should be more interested in grooming JP rather than trying to win and that if we do not make the playoffs with anyone but JP as the starter, it will have have been a wasted move.

After all of the articles that he wrote last year, he seems to have a lot emotionally invested in JP. It must be killing him that we won without him and that all of his diatribes about DB were so widely off the mark (as we have seen this year).

JP seems like a good guy with potential. He just is not ready yet. It is the toughest position in football. I have no idea whether he will ever be the QB of the present or the future. Yet, you really cannot blame the Bills for seeing whether Holcomb could help get the team the win. Now that we have beaten the Dolphins, it looks like a good move. There is a lot of room for improvement, but this win over our most bitter rival was a lot better than what we have seen the past three weeks. There is now some hope where there was little after last week.

Don't worry, JS will find something to whinge about. He always does.

470734[/snapback]

It seems to me that Sullivan is the only Buffalo media person who does say anything original...my observation of Sullivan is that he tends to be very negative, concerning the Bills, just like most of the posters on the board, who slam him. A lot of the opinions that he has held over the years (and has been crucified for by fans) are later adopted by the same fans who hate him for it. IMO, while I don't always agree with Sullivan, he is far better than the "legend" Larry Felser, and is the only WNY sports writer, worth reading. I don't really need a media person to tell me how bad, or good, my team is. Most of them don't have any clearer handle on football than you or I, just a journalism degree...

BTW, I agree, there are a few posters on the wall who I find more knowledgable....and insightful...

I counted at least 13 sentences in that article that were about Jerry Sullivan. I'm sure if he really put his mind to it, he could have fit in a couple more statements about himself.

Journalism at its finest.  ;)

471203[/snapback]

Ahhhh .....thats why he's called and op/ed columnist ...opinion.....editor.....means write your version of the facts not just report the stats......Expect him to be real sour for awhile ..isn't he from Boston.........GOOOOOOO Red Sox ...........NOT..............

So "all the time" should actually be .00004775549188156% of the time.

Did you do the math?  :w00t:  :blink:

471665[/snapback]

I figured Sullivan could use a lesson in how to support your discussion with facts so I divided 2 (mentions of his work) into about 4187 (my approximate post total) to come up with a figure.

I think I may need professional help..... ;)

Ahhhh .....thats why he's called and op/ed columnist ...opinion.....editor.....means write your version of the facts not just report the stats..

That's fine. But maybe he should stick to actually writing about his opinion of the Bills instead of his self-important opinion of himself, which is pretty boring stuff when you're looking for opinions of what transpired on the field.

isn't he from Boston

Is he? I didn't know that. If it's true then that is all the explanation I will ever need.

QUOTE(inkman @ Oct 10 2005, 11:12 AM)

So "all the time" should actually be .00004775549188156% of the time.

Did you do the math?

I figured Sullivan could use a lesson in how to support your discussion with facts so I divided 2 (mentions of his work) into about 4187 (my approximate post total) to come up with a figure.

I think I may need professional help.....

That's awesome! ;)

It seems to me that Sullivan is the only Buffalo media person who does say anything original...my observation of Sullivan is that he tends to be very negative, concerning the Bills, just like most of the posters on the board, who slam him.  A lot of the opinions that he has held over the years (and has been crucified for by fans) are later adopted by the same fans who hate him for it.  IMO, while I don't always agree with Sullivan, he is far better than the "legend" Larry Felser, and is the only WNY sports writer, worth reading.  I don't really need a media person to tell me how bad, or good, my team is.  Most of them don't have any clearer handle on football than you or I, just a journalism degree...

BTW, I agree, there are a few posters on the wall who I find more knowledgable....and insightful...

471424[/snapback]

Sulivan is not insightful at all, he just tries to be negative to attract the demmographic that will believe anything, as long as it is negative. He is not even a legitamate journalist

Wow what a surprise...another column on what an idiot Sullivan is. He's a freakin' columnist and is supposed to write a piece 3 or 4 times a week stating his opinion. What a bore it would be if he ran all his columns through OBD & TBD for approval. Why not just add to the TBD TOS that "Sully's opinions are stupid" and be done with it. ;)

I don't think MM was skirting the issue.  He hasn't had time to sit down with TD and the offensive coaching staff to make a decision yet.

470911[/snapback]

I can see him talking to Clements/Wyche to make that decision, but why TD...

TD does not handle the play calling....His job is to give the Personnel to

Mularkey.

During MM's postgame:

Sully:  So I guess I'll have to go ask the defense :rolleyes:

470701[/snapback]

Thats typical of sports writers, they take they're job way too seriously. I would rather see that kind of questioning by some White House reporters!!! :)

I don't think MM was skirting the issue.  He hasn't had time to sit down with TD and the offensive coaching staff to make a decision yet.

470911[/snapback]

Didn't you mean that RALPH hadn't had time to tell him who was going to be the starter? :rolleyes:

Wow what a surprise...another column on what an idiot Sullivan is.  He's a freakin' columnist and is supposed to write a piece 3 or 4 times a week stating his opinion.  What a bore it would be if he ran all his columns through OBD & TBD for approval.  Why not just add to the TBD TOS that "Sully's opinions are stupid" and be done with it. :rolleyes:

472008[/snapback]

I compare Sullivan with MTV.....great for people who can't understand things more complex.