best pizza in WNY?

grammer_police

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in Rochester, my vote goes to TIMES SQUARE PIZZA.

Located on the corner of Rte. 250 and 441 in Penfield.

The key however is you have to order an entire pie and eat it in.

Don't just get a slice and don't order take out. Both are ok....but their pie in house is AWESOME!

There's really no comparison...if you like thin crust pizza (or as I call it, pizza)

LaHacienda, Pine Ave. in Niagara Falls (no relation to LaHacienda on Brighton).

Pepperoni...well done. Not as good as it used to be, but still twice as good as any WNY pizza. Trust me.

growing up in Niagara Falls there were two things the city is known for- chemical dumping and great pizza. Sammy's and Buzzy's are really good but the best is a little place called the Pizza Oven on Niagara St. Take out only. Problem is they close from June to mid September every year. Owner goes on vacation somewhere.

Pizza is the best. Lines are out the door on any given friday or saturday night.

There's really no comparison...if you like thin crust pizza (or as I call it, pizza)

Pepperoni...well done.  Not as good as it used to be, but still twice as good as any WNY pizza.  Trust me.

441848[/snapback]

Was just wondering if that place is still open. Grew up in NF, and dam that was a treat to go there.

Bottom line is you really can't go wrong with Pizza in WNY.

A few of my favorites...

Labella's on Genessee in Cheektowaga.

Mazina's (sp) in Clarence.

Papa John's locations in Rochester with their garlic sauce.

Any place around the corner.

growing up in Niagara Falls there were two things the city is known for- chemical dumping and great pizza. Sammy's and Buzzy's are really good but the best is a little place called the Pizza Oven on Niagara St. Take out only. Problem is they close from June to mid September every year. Owner goes on vacation somewhere.

Pizza is the best. Lines are out the door on any given friday or saturday night.

441852[/snapback]

Man, that place is still there. My granfather lived right across the street in a 2nd story walkup. Huge treat to go his house, get pizza oven pizza, and watch Ultraman on channell 29. Our TV at home didn't have UHF, and both were B&W. Now I cant live without HD Tivo lol

in Rochester, my vote goes to TIMES SQUARE PIZZA.

Located on the corner of Rte. 250 and 441 in Penfield. 

The key however is you have to order an entire pie and eat it in. 

Don't just get a slice and don't order take out.  Both are ok....but their pie in house is AWESOME!

441832[/snapback]

I've lived practically across the street from that place for over a year and have yet to try it. Probably best I don't because if it's that good I'll be getting it everyday.

Most people call me nuts but I LOVE Pizza Hut pan pizza. Just something about the taste.

Papa John's locations in Rochester with their garlic sauce.

441859[/snapback]

Most people call me nuts but I LOVE Pizza Hut pan pizza. Just something about the taste.

441896[/snapback]

:) No you two didn't. :)

I can get both those pizzas here in Virginia. If you're going to go with a chain, at least make it a local chain --- Mark's Pizza is very good. And Pontillo's can be inconsistent, but it can be great at times.

Man, that place is still there. My granfather lived right across the street in a 2nd story walkup. Huge treat to go his house, get pizza oven pizza, and watch Ultraman on channell 29. Our TV at home didn't have UHF, and both were B&W. Now I cant live without HD Tivo lol

441861[/snapback]

Look, isa monster! Call Ultraman!

Both LaHac and Pizza Oven are still around and doing well. Here's the thing, Niagara Falls pizza ROCKS in general (more WOPS, better pizza...that simple).

Pizza Oven can be quite good one day and the next day be pretty average. It's cheap and usually already made and hot when you get there. Certainly one of the better "slice houses". It's "The Pizza with the Big Secret". I'm not sure I want to know that secret...it makes me...well, you know.

Mr Ventry's is a better (more consistant) slice house, IMO, than Pizza Oven. Particularly good is their "romano slice". Not as good as Truscello's slice was...but, damn good. For the record, what Rocket's sells is just NOT Truscello's. (A place in Wilson makes a decent Truscello's slice.) Truscello's was the best tailgate pizza ever as it was great cold.

A great thing about Pizza Oven and Mr. Ventry's is I usually get a free slice or two if I order two or more slices...almost EVERY time. BEAUTIFUL!

Sammy's, like Pizza Oven, is inconsistent...but, great on a good day.

Still, they are slice places. LaHacienda is a pie joint...and their pizza is always best eaten right there. It doesn't travel well. My parent's live 3 blocks away and that's fine...but, I woldn't travel more than a mile or so with it.

Now the best SLICE I've ever had is in San Francisco. L'Osteria del Forno on Columbus makes great thin-crust (AKA pizza) slices fresh to order, in a brick oven. Pricey...and worth it.

Damnit! All this pizza talk has made me hungry. It's lunch time...and Amici's is down the street. That'll do. :)

Later

:)  No you two didn't.  :)

If you're going to go with a chain, at least make it a local chain --- Mark's Pizza is very good. And Pontillo's can be inconsistent, but it can be great at times.

441897[/snapback]

Looks like the line for the firing squad just got a tad longer LOL

Pepperoni...well done.  Not as good as it used to be, but still twice as good as any WNY pizza.  Trust me.

441848[/snapback]

Ab - so - freakin - lutley, although somebody else mentioned Buzzy's, Sammy's (both OK, I was eating a Sammys Pizza when "wide right" happened). Pizza Oven can be a bit of an acquired taste, although it is damn good. Nothing beats a La Hacienda, though. Last time I was back there, it was closed for the day. Talk about lousy timing!!! (made do with a pizza from Buzzy's). Seems like people outside of WNY sometimes just don't understand pizza.

And so, the time has come YET AGAIN for me to impart the wisdom of 32 years of pizza consumption upon the foolhardy masses.

BOZANNA'S PIZZA -- Camp Road, Hamburg.

Simply the best.

441838[/snapback]

oh yeah, they got one on Main Street in Clarence (barely out of Amherst)

The amount of pepperoni they put on one pie is obscene. If you like meat on your pizza, there is no other place to go.

oh yeah, they got one on Main Street in Clarence (barely out of Amherst)

The amount of pepperoni they put on one pie is obscene.  If you like meat on your pizza, there is no other place to go.

441909[/snapback]

And the amazing thing is the pepperoni STILL is crisp.

That's the secret to their dominance. The other thing I love is that you can get grape crush out of the cooler there. They don't even SELL that down here.

441852[/snapback]

How good is the pizza? Good enough that the owner can close down and take the summer off.

I doubt this place still exists, but years ago, when I lived in Orchard Park we used to get pizza a Jacobi's which was on 20a right in town. It was the best pizza ever. I still remember how it tasted, but I haven't found it again.

If your in Canandaigua, Pontillo's is good.

If your in Webster, Mr. Shoes is good.

:)  No you two didn't.  :)

I can get both those pizzas here in Virginia. If you're going to go with a chain, at least make it a local chain --- Mark's Pizza is very good. And Pontillo's can be inconsistent, but it can be great at times.

441897[/snapback]

Mark's is awful if you don't eat it 5 seconds after it comes out of the oven. They've been killing their wings lately too.

Guida's in Penfield has some killer wings.

Nothing beats Salvators $5 large cheese deal though. Not the best pizza bu certianly the best value.

I actually haven't been to many places in Buffalo, but I loved the pods at Pizza Plant.

In the sticks there's Pontillo's in Batavia, but I've been really digging on a new place called Main St. Pizza (run by the same folks as Vic's Dog House).

In Rochester, I've gotta go with Brandani's.